Tb synch

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Travis
Squid
FJRModel: 2006

Tb synch

Post by Travis »

Does anyone know why tb sync is done at idle? The cylinders change vacuum throughout the rpm range, so wouldn't it make more sense to set it at anticipated rpm? Or cruising range? Who cares if it's a little lopey at idle. Only reason I can think is, Yamaha wants it set this way because at idle is where a customer would notice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tominca
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 ABS

Re: Tb synch

Post by tominca »

All you are adjusting is the opening of the butterfly over the throttle body. Anything above idle and that opening is lots larger. Fred's unauthorized TB Sync actually closes down the throttle body screws, then minimally reopens them to produce an equal vacuum. Once synced at idle, they should open evenly as you increase throttle. That's my primitive understanding. If Fred pops in, he should have a book to write about it.
It's a good day to ride
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Tb synch

Post by raYzerman »

The air flow you are adjusting is essentially a vacuum air flow. It is less effective at higher rpms, but is more easily adjustable at idle, then verified at higher rpm. You are not adjusting butterfly openings unless you choose to attempt that, which is the "Unauthorized" procedure of actually tweaking the butterfly openings. On a Gen3, there are no butterfly adjustments.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.