Gen 1 overheating - Fan not switching on. Plus I'm new here

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
BaZZR
Squid
FJRModel: 2002

Gen 1 overheating - Fan not switching on. Plus I'm new here

Post by BaZZR »

Hi. New to the forum and the FJR. Saved the bike from going to the auction so price wasn't bad and as it has been stood I am expecting a few issues.
There's 6 or 7 bars on the temp gauge and I've had them all on to see if the fan would cut in bit didn't so thought I better check it out.
Put power to the fan and it runs fine.
Checked, cleaned all fuses and connections.
There's a relay under the dash, I can hear it click over if I short the green/yellow wire out but still not kicking the fan into action so I've ordered another relay in the hope it's that.
Is this a common issue on these or am I just the lucky one?
Any other known issues I should check out while servicing the bike and sorting this issue out?
Although I didn't plan on buying a bike it just happened as we already have a shed load it's seems to ride smoothly apart from the massive clunk getting into first especially when cold.
Got to be one of the comfiest seats I've had so looking forward to putting it back together and putting serious miles on :)
Bit of a multi purpose post so sorry for the waffle ;)
Twigg
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300A

Re: Gen 1 overheating - Fan not switching on. Plus I'm new here

Post by Twigg »

If the electrical circuit is good, the only other component is the sensor in the manifold above the cylinder head.

Just an odd thought ... There are a few people who thought it a good idea to put a switch in the circuit to operate the fan manually. Just check around to see that you don't have an odd switch with no apparent purpose :)
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

BaZZR wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am Hi. New to the forum and the FJR. . . . Put power to the fan and it runs fine. . . . There's a relay under the dash, I can hear it click over if I short the green/yellow wire out but still not kicking the fan into action so I've ordered another relay in the hope it's that.
BaZZR,

Welcome to our little sandbox. 8-)

The relay is just an Off/On switch. You can short across the two "switched" terminals (like a good relay should) and see if the fan comes on. If so, then the relay has failed. If you trace wires from the relay to the fan, you may find a connector that has corrosion. Ground connections are often a problem with the FJR. Clean or replace as needed. Good hunting!

There may be a factory recall (free maintenance) for bad ground connections. A Yamaha dealer can look up your VIN number and tell you if any factory recalls are still due on your FJR.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Twigg
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300A

Post by Twigg »

Red wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am
BaZZR wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am Hi. New to the forum and the FJR. . . . Put power to the fan and it runs fine. . . . There's a relay under the dash, I can hear it click over if I short the green/yellow wire out but still not kicking the fan into action so I've ordered another relay in the hope it's that.
BaZZR,

Welcome to our little sandbox. 8-)

There may be a factory recall (free maintenance) for bad ground connections. A Yamaha dealer can look up your VIN number and tell you if any factory recalls are still due on your FJR.
It's a Gen 1. Bad grounds are possible because it's getting on a bit now, but there were no recalls .... No "spiders" here :D

Fan should come on with 4 bars on the temp gauge.
BaZZR
Squid
FJRModel: 2002

Post by BaZZR »

Thanks. Looks like I need to go over the terminals and earth's again. :)
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Welcome aboard...
Boston
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300 2001 Roadstar

Post by Boston »

Did you solve your problem?

I had the same problem and it was a multi wire connector under the tank. connector was white in color. Pins where corroded.

The fan will come at 4 bars.
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA# 76760
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Agree it's the relay or the multi-way connector most likely. Freshening up both is a good thing.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

If we haven't heard anything in 2 years I assume it's either fixed or the bike has been scrapped.
wheatonFJR loved this