The perfect helmet for an FJR

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
chivvalry
FJRModel: 2017

Re: The perfect helmet for an FJR

Post by chivvalry »

Redfish loved this
You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you.

2017 FJR1300 ES World
2021 KTM 890 Adventure R
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Those are some purty blue flowers ....
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Like to fondle the Klim carbon also, a good hunk of change?
Burnspot
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015ES, 2020 Super Tenere

Post by Burnspot »

I ran with a Shoei RF1100 for a long time and loved it, but then went to the Neotec. I have to say that it's turned out to be the best helmet I've ever had. Deep wells for speakers and pretty damn quiet if you use the chin screen and keep the vents closed; I can drop the volume of the Sena down and hear music quite well through foam ear plugs. Very comfortable helmet as well; I test fit it pretty thoroughly before committing to it. It vents nicely...although around here, in the hot/humid summer, vents aren't really a help.
Scott
https://burnspot.smugmug.com/
RIP Petey, Jason, and Don...JSNS
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:31 pm That's a pretty reasonable price for something with a Klim logo on it. :D
and VERY reasonable compared to some of the other Carbon Fiber helmets...
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Pop and I are both using the Shoei Neotec. We have both had other helmets and other brands but we are devoted fans of the Neotec.

As hppants mentioned, the ability to open the face of the modular helmet to perform CPR or clear an airway is Priceless. PRICELESS.

The Neotec with the top vents closed ventilates exactly the same as every HJC and Nolan does with their vents wide open. The Neotec with the top vent open 50% flows 10,000 times more air than any other helmet I ever wore. The Neotec with the top vent all the way open is almost too much because it lets (or forces) bugs inside.

The Neotec can be custom fit by replacing the cheek pads. It has deep wells for internal speakers.

It works after it has been crashed.

And of course the new Neotec:

Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Not sure about the best, but the Schuberth C3 I got from Ray is really damn nice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I'll have to give the Neotec a fair shake. I really want a modular, but I haven't found any that either fit or believe it or not, handle the wearing of glasses nicely. Which just blows my mind as the modular and wearing glasses should go together like peas and carrots.

I bought a Fox (I think) modular for Line. Its to small for me, but she loves it.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:06 pm I'll have to give the Neotec a fair shake. I really want a modular, but I haven't found any that either fit or believe it or not, handle the wearing of glasses nicely. Which just blows my mind as the modular and wearing glasses should go together like peas and carrots.

I bought a Fox (I think) modular for Line. Its to small for me, but she loves it.
You may like to know that the Neotec has grooves in the padding specifically for eyeglasses. That is a Big Deal for Pop, he wears prescription lenses.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

FWIW, many helmets today have removable/ washable/ replaceable interior pads. A machine wash might restore the loft of an aging pad, or you can get brand new helmet pads on-line, even from Amazon.

You can often adjust the fit of a helmet by choosing pads that are sized larger or smaller than the helmet markings may say, and some helmet makers now use this trick, right from the factory. (A "smaller" helmet may simply have thicker pads inside.)
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I found, after decades of wearing mediocre fitting helmets, is that cheek pads are only about half the equation. Interior shape, neck roll etc play at least an equal part in a great fitting helmet. Believe me, want to try on helmets and get a great fitting one? Remove the cheek pads before trying it on. If it fits your HEAD, not your face, it's a good fitting helmet.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I agree with Bungie - I'm most concerned about the fit of the crown of the helmet. And when I buy it, I want it a smidge tight, knowing that it will "break in" a little with wear.

I'm curious - has anyone actually removed their padding and washed them? Method used? Results? Any adverse results?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Hppants wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:38 am

I'm curious - has anyone actually removed their padding and washed them? Method used? Results? Any adverse results?
I've done it quite a few times. I just wash them in the sink with mild soap, rinse throughly, and air dry on a towel. This time of year, it happens regularly. :roll:

My Arai cheekpads were a major pain to reinstall, but my Shoei's are easy-peasy.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I have an Arai Corsair V and a Shoei Neotec. I like both helmets and find the Arai to be a little quieter but really appreciate the SHoei for ease of use particularly when traveling. Makes getting a drink or bite to eat at gas stops much easier.

Cleaning is pretty easy with both.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Hppants wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:38 am

I have an Arai RX-Q, I throw the liners in a mesh bag and toss that in the with the rest of laundry getting washed then air dry. Cheek pads a little tricky to get back in but not bad.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:06 pm I'll have to give the Neotec a fair shake. I really want a modular, but I haven't found any that either fit or believe it or not, handle the wearing of glasses nicely. Which just blows my mind as the modular and wearing glasses should go together like peas and carrots.
I wear bifocals and LOVE my Neotec. The glasses fit in nicely, there's no pinching at my temples or behind my ears (even with Sena speakers installed), and the fighter-pilot sunshade is fabulous.

Full disclosure: The glasses come off to put the helmet on or take it off.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Can I get a carbon fiber helmet with an Air Jordan air pump?
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Re: RE: Re: The perfect helmet for an FJR

Post by silverback »

Powerman wrote:Can I get a carbon fiber helmet with an Air Jordan air pump?
Scorpion has air pump cheek pads. I don't know if they have a carbon fiber helmet though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

sector7g, Uncle Hud, and wheatonFJR loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Re: RE: Re: The perfect helmet for an FJR

Post by HotRodZilla »

Hppants wrote:I agree with Bungie - I'm most concerned about the fit of the crown of the helmet. And when I buy it, I want it a smidge tight, knowing that it will "break in" a little with wear.

Heck yeah, street helmets and dirt bike helmets. Nearly everything snaps out. I put mine in a pillowcase and throw them in the washer. They come out all fluffy and good smelling. Putting on a clean helmet makes for a good morning.