Cruise Control and Short Term Electrical Sudden Death

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
OldButNotDead
FJRModel: 2014

Cruise Control and Short Term Electrical Sudden Death

Post by OldButNotDead »

Hi guys, I posted the following on the FJRForum and I would like to get a fresh set of eyes on them.
Original Post:
"I haven't had time to do complete testing of my 2014 gen III, only two rides so far 486 miles over ten hours and 491 over thirteen hours. I love the CC. First ride no problems. Second a couple issues. Hitting some bigger bumps knocked cruise off. Kinda, sorta to be expected. Next, late in the day I engaged CC then at around 75mph I hit set. The bike lurched, slowed maybe a mph or two, caught, then resumed to the 75. This happened several times but definitely not every time. I hope, on a separate issue, riding along around 70mph, all lights and instruments flashed off then came right back on almost instantaneously. Did not not go into startup mode and I did not feel the engine quit. This was right out of the blue. Just rolling along. Bought bike at 1.4K and now has about 2.?K. "

I checked my battery terminals and they were tight. I did find the CC fuse was not fully seated. A friend reminded me of the Spider Ground issues of Gen II bikes. I received a reply that those Spider Ground issues had been resolved. I'm not all that confident that is a valid statement. I do believe the CC being knocked offline by a larger bump is probably a non-issue. I'm giving the reseated fuse a test tomorrow.
Thanks for any ideas,
Rod
It is NOT the destination. It is the RIDE getting there!
Queensland Ken
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014 AE

Re: Cruise Control and Short Term Electrical Sudden Death

Post by Queensland Ken »

When there is wiring on the bike like this, anything is possible.

Also the Yamaha recall didn't address all the Gen2 neutral connector problems, like the S6 spider nor the neutral pin / socket on the front cowling #3 connector.

It is not normal what you described on the CC and instruments.

Have you checked the fault codes ?
May have to take the bike back to a dealer or start pulling off plastics.
2014 AE Black
13 Stilvio NTX
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
OldButNotDead

Post by OldButNotDead »

After I reseated the CC fuse, which was not all the way in, I did not have a single problem today. Even hitting some pretty big bumps had no effect at all on CC.

No, I forgot all about fault codes. Looks like I better get me a shop manual pretty soon. I'm going to wait until I get at least one more "lights out" event before going to the shop.
Thanks for the info.
FredandJeannesRacer
FJRModel: 2006

Post by FredandJeannesRacer »

A "lights out" event like you described could be life threating!
OldButNotDead

Post by OldButNotDead »

Quick check of fault codes did not show any error being thrown.

In this case lights just blinked out for just a second.
Yes, it could be dangerous. Have lost complete dash and headlights once on back road at Camp Lejeune. Pitch black. Not fun for a second or two until I got it stopped. That was a bad voltage regulator. Had a Triumph Tiger 1050 lose the the lights and instrument cluster. That was bad design. Tail light fuse had lights and instrument panel on it. Lucky that was in daytime. Unless it throws an error code or it becomes more frequent, this could be a tough one to find.
Queensland Ken
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014 AE

Post by Queensland Ken »

My problem was that I bought the 2014 "A" manual before I bought the bike.
Within 3 days Yamaha Australia released the AEE, ie the ES, so I was stuck with the A, lol lol.

Eventually sold it to a mate and finally bought the ES.
The manual provides diagnostics on the cruise control.
2014 AE Black
13 Stilvio NTX
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
Geezer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by Geezer »

OldButNotDead wrote:After I reseated the CC fuse, which was not all the way in, I did not have a single problem today. Even hitting some pretty big bumps had no effect at all on CC.

No, I forgot all about fault codes. Looks like I better get me a shop manual pretty soon. I'm going to wait until I get at least one more "lights out" event before going to the shop.
Thanks for the info.
Glad you found something that seems like the solution. I would expect the cruise control to work no matter how many bumps you hit. It is probably worth your time to check any other connectors and fuses you can get to so you know that they are fully seated.

And, I would alert Yamaha so they can verify if this was a single incident or if they have a quality control issue.
My wife asked me why I speak so softly around the house. I said that I was worried that someone was listening. She laughed, I laughed, Alexa laughed.