Grease fittings

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Post Reply
User avatar
CollingsBob
Veteran
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm
FJRModel: 2017 FJR1300ES
1953 “C” Vincent Rapide
Location: Winnipeg
x 1189
x 384

Grease fittings

Post by CollingsBob » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Has anyone ever considered adding grease fittings to the center stand and/or shock linkage?

https://www.saeproducts.com/grease-fittings.html

User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
Posts: 3342
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 243
x 2089

Re: Grease fittings

Post by extrememarine » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 pm

I have added one to my rear brake lever, but have not considered drilling / tapping the shock linkage or center stand.

I've had the rear brake lever stick after riding is a lot of rain - with the grease fitting, it pushes the dirt and grunge out of the pivot point.
wheatonFJR and CollingsBob loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

User avatar
CollingsBob
Veteran
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm
FJRModel: 2017 FJR1300ES
1953 “C” Vincent Rapide
Location: Winnipeg
x 1189
x 384

Re: Grease fittings

Post by CollingsBob » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 pm

extrememarine wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 pm
I have added one to my rear brake lever, but have not considered drilling / tapping the shock linkage or center stand.

I've had the rear brake lever stick after riding is a lot of rain - with the grease fitting, it pushes the dirt and grunge out of the pivot point.
Good idea!...I assume that one can also be added to the shift linkage

rbentnail
Veteran
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 am
FJRModel: 2007A
Location: Asheboro, NC
x 87
x 188

Re: Grease fittings

Post by rbentnail » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:34 pm

CollingsBob wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 pm
Good idea!...I assume that one can also be added to the shift linkage
Don't see the point, shift linkage has ball joints yes? Totally different from the brake side.
CollingsBob loved this

rbentnail
Veteran
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 am
FJRModel: 2007A
Location: Asheboro, NC
x 87
x 188

Re: Grease fittings

Post by rbentnail » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:35 pm

CollingsBob loved this

User avatar
Snowflake
Squid
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 pm
FJRModel: 2014ES
x 1
x 26

Re: Grease fittings

Post by Snowflake » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 pm

I've added grease fittings to my rear brake pivot and my relay arm (rear suspension) That relay arm modification allows me to lube the 4 bearings in the relay arm and the two (dogbone) bearings in the swing arm while the bike is on the centerstand. Whole process is about 30 minutes. I haven't figured out posting photos here yet but when I do I'll show'em.
CollingsBob loved this

User avatar
ionbeam
Veteran
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 am
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray
Location: Sandown, NH
x 111
x 1358

Re: Grease fittings

Post by ionbeam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Snowflake wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 pm
...I haven't figured out posting photos here yet but when I do I'll show'em.
You need to find an online site to host your pictures. Copy the link to the picture(s) and paste it in the message box. Highlight the link, then click on the picture icon (mountain on the bottom right, sun upper left corner) to wrap the link with the image tags, if done correctly the link will look like this:
The link was broken by inserting a space so you can see the link.
[im g]https://photos.smugmug.com/Gallery/i-JZ ... 66b-XL.jpg[/im g]

This is the picture as we riding to Mt. Shasta.

Image
wheatonFJR loved this

User avatar
CollingsBob
Veteran
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm
FJRModel: 2017 FJR1300ES
1953 “C” Vincent Rapide
Location: Winnipeg
x 1189
x 384

Re: Grease fittings

Post by CollingsBob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:34 am

Snowflake wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 pm
I've added grease fittings to my rear brake pivot and my relay arm (rear suspension) That relay arm modification allows me to lube the 4 bearings in the relay arm and the two (dogbone) bearings in the swing arm while the bike is on the centerstand. Whole process is about 30 minutes. I haven't figured out posting photos here yet but when I do I'll show'em.
If I pm you my email address, would you email them to me?

User avatar
Snowflake
Squid
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 pm
FJRModel: 2014ES
x 1
x 26

Re: Grease fittings

Post by Snowflake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi Bob, yes of course. send me an email: unclerusty1@gmail.com

Russ

User avatar
CollingsBob
Veteran
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm
FJRModel: 2017 FJR1300ES
1953 “C” Vincent Rapide
Location: Winnipeg
x 1189
x 384

Re: Grease fittings

Post by CollingsBob » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Snowflake wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:35 pm
Hi Bob, yes of course. send me an email: unclerusty1@gmail.com

Russ
Email sent...thanks!

Post Reply