Vision...

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Vision...

Post by extrememarine »

I decided to pull the conversation away from the meandering conversation here and share some thoughts here.

I'm not sure I'd commit to having a 'master plan' but there is a vision. The original premise for this house was to provide a place for the North Georgia riders group to coordinate weekend rides and interact in a less restrictive environment. It grew into a kick back, have a drink and shoot the breeze with like minded riders, self governing place to hang out. Then hardware failure in 2012. Reborn in late 2012 utilizing the open source phpBB platform and cloud hosting with Dreamhost.com. I have always retained the mindset Jason and Dom had with running things here - minimal oversight and reliance on a self governing mentality. I think we've done a pretty good job with that.

I like how Uncle Hud put it -
"FJRiders is a widely-dispersed gaggle of friends, who share an interest in FJRs and long-distance riding.
Recently, there's been some changes - enhancements & discussion about improvements. The FJRiders.com Calendar contest had a 2nd successful year. Development of the landing page and storefront are additional updates to ensure the site if sustainable. Tim has been a tremendous help in running the calendar contest and putting up with my constant questions. William (Calimus) is still active in the background as well, approving new members as needed. I appreciate their help beyond words. There have been many emails and PM's with offers of help - signs that this lowly little community will survive and thrive in the coming years. If we don't continue to evolve and grow this community, it will wither and die - and I'm sure no one here wants to see that.

The mindset with the "no B.S." zone(s) is to make management of some things easier on me. The license plate frame thread, for instance; I need to know that posts there are either new orders, questions or concerns about orders - I needed an efficient way of making sure I didn't miss anyone's question or issue to ensure problems are resolves quickly. Scrolling through 3 pages of man-love posts was not going to help that process at all.

There is also conversation happening about a tech library - a place where tech articles are posted and available to members as a resource. It makes sense to not have side conversations in those topics. One thing I remember when I brought home my first FJR and joined the community is how most newbie questions were answered with some version of a "LMGTFY" response that made me not want to ask a question. My vision for the tech library is a place where someone new to the bike or group can ask even the most basic question and get a helpful response, not the "why didn't you google that you idiot" chatter.

I'm not going to make the entire place a "No B.S." zone and I'm not interested in the minions either. If I really wanted to develop this into something, I'l make it a pay-to-post site. Just think, I'd be able to retire with how much some of you post during the day, "If I had a penny for every time..."

And KJ nailed it - it's about tact - how you talk to someone. There was a time in my life that I was not a pleasant person to be around most days (if you were to talk to any of my Marines). My career at the time demanded it at times. That person still exists, in the shadows - I prefer to be the (mostly) easy going and relaxed person I see in the mirror today. I'd prefer to ask folks, not tell them. A nudge in the form of a warning from the moderator panel is just my way of saying, "think about it please". The "Ban Hammer" is a tool in the box, but I don't see ever needing it here, because everyone is on board with the self governing environment we have here.

Asking for help with the bills has been hard for me. The costs are minimal, in the big picture, but there is a cost. There has been a huge outpouring of offers to donate and help. The license plate frame project is a huge step in the right direction to making the forum self sustaining financially. I am also working on another run of stickers and hats. I'm open for suggestions as well - t-shirts, etc. With the storefront functioning now, it helps automate the process some. If needed, I can create an item that is a "donation". At this time, I want to keep donations connected to a product.

There. that's all I have for right now. I'll leave you with this; as the season opens up and we start to gather and embrace the 2 wheel passion we all share - remember those who are not with us this year; share a story and raise a glass or bottle in their honor; take a minute to shake the hand and say hello to everyone standing in the parking lot or lobby or garage. Be there for each other. Go Ride!!

Wayne
Post by wheatonFJR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 am
I have no problem with No B.S. forums. None at all. In fact I welcome it....as long as there is the big red banner at the top. HMFIC has been pretty clear where the no BS is going to occur...from the history here, it's pretty clear he has a vision of this place that I agree with. I know that I like joshing around...but I don't want to ruin someone's thread asking for specific help, or whatever...even if I have done that in the past.

by Redfish » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 am
I hate to type this but...

It suddenly hit me why we have the new Rules mandating no B.S. in certain technical sections. I personally don't like it and would like to have a little leeway but dammit we can all steer a thread into some unexpected directions. As I read through these posts I can't even remember what we started discussing.

I am thinking that when/if the Other Forum dies our resident Marine will reveal his Master Plan for Forum Domination. He will effectively have a monopoly and can force us to do whatever he wants.

He already has this live emoji depicting our future here at FJRiders:

:bowdown:
by Top_Speed1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 am
This BS insertion is never-ending and on-going in all of them. Some more strict than others, but in all honesty, NONE are even close to what the FJRforum was. I've never seen anywhere (nor even heard) of the disciplinary tactics that were used over there. I mean really; stand up in class and write out on the chalkboard that you'll never break rule 104B sec A..... and, 100 times over!. And then have to praise the teacher on how right he/she was and how wrong you were.

It's all about tact (adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues).
There's certain ways to deal with rule violators, but also remembering that we are all adults (I think lol) and we are in reality within a motorcycle community... you know, the ruff-tuff guyz! ;)

I'm all for keeping tech threads Non-BS.
But when Wheatie forgets and has a Bush's baked bean moment (aka brain fart), maybe a simple door knock or two would be much more "tactful" than the gas chamber. (catch my play on this? hehe) :)
LKLD, Gramps, Madmudder and 5 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Re: Vision...

Post by Redfish »

If that's your "vision", you need glasses. ;)

Sorry. I did it again.

As long as we know what the rules are and The Man In Charge gives a damn about US, I have no doubt this place will continue to thrive. I appreciate that you communicate with us and we understand WHAT you want and WHY you want it. Sometimes knowing the Why helps us to deliver the What.

I know I was often one of those "Do a Search" responses. I am embarrassed to say that I followed the herd and that's what the herd did because that's what Management wanted. I would like to think that I have become more helpful since.

But, but, Boss Man, I got a question. Let's imagine that Cav47 has a technical question/issue in the No B.S. Zone and We are helping diagnose and fix the problem. As the thread progresses we discover that it was something dumb he did or didn't do that caused the problem. Are we allowed to call him a dumbass? I mean, if we just casually throw it in there like, "Well, the optical wobble pin on the tachometer is SUPPOSED to move when you first turn the key. Dumbass."

In other words do we have to respond blandly and completely in technical jargon or are we allowed to answer with (helpful) humor? I would hate to completely cut out the Fun part of this group. Sometimes a little bit of humor in a shitty situation is helpful.
Bust and wheatonFJR loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Dilly Dilly.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I'd say something, but I'd just get a damn warning.
Bust, Harald, and CollingsBob loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Sounds like a great way to make this place better than the best, and it's already the best.
I will do my best to keep on track in the NOBS forums.
I really like the fact that you respect us all, as I think we all do. We will return that respect as you have earned it.

Thanks Wayne!
wheatonFJR loved this
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

My opinion is that if the collective knowledge and wisdom of the community comes together to solve the wayward souls puzzle, and after extensive thought and discussion to resolve said puzzle it is discovered that the mechanical issue is simply the proper function of the device, the original post shall be realigned to a 'Dawg Pile Friday" thread so the O.P. can be appropriately schooled on the errors of his (or her) way...
Redfish wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 pm But, but, Boss Man, I got a question. Let's imagine that Cav47 has a technical question/issue in the No B.S. Zone and We are helping diagnose and fix the problem. As the thread progresses we discover that it was something dumb he did or didn't do that caused the problem. Are we allowed to call him a dumbass? I mean, if we just casually throw it in there like, "Well, the optical wobble pin on the tachometer is SUPPOSED to move when you first turn the key. Dumbass."

In other words do we have to respond blandly and completely in technical jargon or are we allowed to answer with (helpful) humor? I would hate to completely cut out the Fun part of this group. Sometimes a little bit of humor in a shitty situation is helpful.
LKLD, Bust, BkerChuck and 3 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

I've exhausted the 'warnings' gas tank for the day...
wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 pm I'd say something, but I'd just get a damn warning.
wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Vision...

Post by 0face »

Makes sense to me. Just a heads up the big red NOBS banner doesn’t show up on Tapatalk, so there’s that excuse for me to use.

Otherwise, I’m staying out of this one.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Anybody got a TLDR? :D
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Wayne - if the store starts a "donation" item, I'll be the first in line.

Until then, I want to get a T-shirt and a hat, but (and please forgive this computer idiot), I can't find where to buy them. Flame way, friends but please point me in the right direction....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 pm Anybody got a TLDR? :D
TLDR - Wayne is keeping the place going. Don't be an ass. Go buy a license plate frame.

:D
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Re: RE: Re: Vision...

Post by extrememarine »

Hppants wrote:Wayne - if the store starts a "donation" item, I'll be the first in line.

Until then, I want to get a T-shirt and a hat, but (and please forgive this computer idiot), I can't find where to buy them. Flame way, friends but please point me in the right direction....
Hats are in the process, will be added to the storefront when they are in stock.

Sent from the Tapatalk app...

Ride There!

IBA#60836

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 pm Anybody got a TLDR? :D
^^^^
Only on this post.

The Vision post by Wayne is good reading...if you know how to.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Uncle Hud and Bugnatr loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

extrememarine wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm The "Ban Hammer" is a tool in the box, but I don't see ever needing it here
Redfish wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 pm If that's your "vision", you need glasses.
Looks like RF has accepted your challenge! :nhlfight:

:lol:
wheatonFJR loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

I think he may be in the, "hold my beer" mode...
blind squirrel wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm
extrememarine wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm The "Ban Hammer" is a tool in the box, but I don't see ever needing it here
Redfish wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 pm If that's your "vision", you need glasses.

wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

extrememarine wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm Scrolling through 3 pages of man-love posts was not going to help that process at all.
"Man-love posts."

Bust and gixxerjasen loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

extrememarine wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:13 pm I think he may be in the, "hold my beer" mode...
blind squirrel wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Well actually, it would be "Hold my glass of wine"... Because I am on a damned Meal Plan right now.

But not at all sir. That really isn't my intent. I am actually enjoying the fact that we can have a little banter and sarcasm without you getting all haughty and Managerial on us.

I support you and what you are doing if that makes any difference. It's just that all of you make such good targets...
Bust loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I think Mr. HMFIC said that the dark side is still lingering in the shadows. Lets not find out what that side looks like.

(I can't get a warning for this, I just can't)
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

I have been a member of A Forum where the HMFIC would scold you for putting words in his mouth.

I don't want to find out about The Boss Man's dark side. I just want to make fun of Gixxerjasen and Cav47.