Flaw since the last update

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 256
x 2298

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by extrememarine » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Email me screen shots of what you see for each step of the process. Also send the OS and pc info as well. I hit the site daily from pc, laptop (s) on two different o.s. and different browsers, and I do not see the issues you are having.

I will also log in with your credentials to see if this replicates any of the issues you describe.

Know that this will not be immediate, as both Tim and I have day jobs that require our focus.

Each time I've helped someone with access or viewing of the forum, the resolution was found in one of the already suggestions made above and that individual had not followed the suggested steps for one reason or another.

Wayne.

Extrememarine@hotmail.com.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 9507
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013 -"Lucky13" -motoman break-in by jwilly...
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 10678
x 5198

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by wheatonFJR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

...
Laying around the house...amazed that a '13 just rolled up to my door.

User avatar
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A
x 107
x 558
Contact:

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by DesignFlaw06 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:28 pm

rbentnail wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm
Nobody is hot on this end so no chiding from you is needed. Simply replying to one of the guys who always "recommends" the same stuff to fix a problem on a computer that's IMO not a problem with a computer that I have already done that stuff that's been recommended by that same guy numerous times before. Didn't work....

If you're not affected by the recent changes then Grrrrr-ate, I'm happy for you. But most days mine is not that case. If the Admin aren't interested in non-functioning or changes in function of features of the forum I'll shut up. If they are, how about you apply the same courtesy?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate" -The Captain

So one thing is very obvious. None of us have a clear understanding of what the problem actually is. Most likely because of lingo, but in my experience, you might as well be using words like "doohickey" and "thingamabob". They may make sense to you, but not to me. I sound like the teacher in Charlie Brown's Christmas in my explanation from your perspective. None of it is intentional. You know what you know. The shoe has been on the other foot. Just ask Ray or Wayne when they look at my bike at Tech Day.

The other obvious thing is this issue is not affecting the vast majority of the forum. That means in this thread, you'll have 20 people saying they don't have an issue. You also may get 20 different people offering solutions to a problem that is not understood or using lingo that is not coherent. Let's move it outside of the forum. Send Wayne an email and he can copy me on it if needed because at this point, you need to be talking to the people that might actually be able to do something about it. Getting everyone else's opinion in the process of trying to figure out the issue/solution isn't going to help.
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2002 Honda Nighthawk 750
1985 Honda Nighthawk 250

User avatar
Uncle Hud
Veteran
Posts: 2319
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 pm
FJRModel: 2015 ES, scratched and gouged
Location: Smyrna, metro Atlanta
x 2817
x 1090

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by Uncle Hud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Can we change the name of this thread to "Timmy since the last update"?

And can we all remember that "someone" is doing this work because they are a nice guy who is (unfortunately) saddled with Internet Powers and Computeriffic Knowledge?

AND ..... he's picking the calendar contest winners. JSNS 8-)
_________________ You can't get into trouble in second gear. _________________

User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 3315
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2014 A Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 816
x 2053

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by raYzerman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:07 pm

OK, today when I go to Quick Links, there is a New Posts dropdown..... because there are new posts.... (using Firefox)
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
bigjohnsd
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 4:28 pm
FJRModel: 2014 BMW R1200GSA "Freya"
x 1011
x 1266

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by bigjohnsd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:19 pm

My Android Phone works with the New Post feature
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 am
FJRModel: 2007A
Location: Asheboro, NC
x 97
x 198

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by rbentnail » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am

raYzerman wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:07 pm
OK, today when I go to Quick Links, there is a New Posts dropdown..... because there are new posts.... (using Firefox)
Ditto. Until this morning Quick Links/New Posts hasn't worked for me since the update. I've done nothing out of the ordinary since yesterday- I close tabs (FireFox) and close the lid on my laptop. Prior to today all I got when I clicked Quick Links/New Posts was "No matching search criteria", today I get a listing of new posts.

Dunno what you guys did but I and others appreciate it.

User avatar
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1673
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 am
FJRModel: 2016 ES
Location: Central Flatistan
x 2065
x 1276

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by LKLD » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Uncle Hud wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm
Can we change the name of this thread to "Timmy since the last update"?

And can we all remember that "someone" is doing this work because they are a nice guy who is (unfortunately) saddled with Internet Powers and Computeriffic Knowledge?

AND ..... he's picking the calendar contest winners. JSNS 8-)
Nice (obvious) try, Hud. :roll:
Uncle Hud loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don & Petey レイクランド

User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 256
x 2298

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by extrememarine » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm glad this feature is working for you now. For the record, "you guys" - i.e. myself and Tim - did not do anything to the site in the past few days. No updates, no admin changes.

I haven't heard from Fencer yet, but I assume he's good unless he speaks up.

Wayne
rbentnail wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am
Dunno what you guys did but I and others appreciate it.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 am
FJRModel: 2007A
Location: Asheboro, NC
x 97
x 198

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by rbentnail » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:48 am

:)

This is one of the truly annoying things I've discovered about 'puters- they hate me. And I them. Tried the feature again this morning, worked again. I too did nothing additional on my end in the past few days. I'm ass-u-me-ing it's just one of those magical black box things that now work when nothing but a look-see was done.

Thanks to those who contributed in some meaningful way.

User avatar
fencer
Veteran
Posts: 825
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:07 am
FJRModel: 2006
x 94
x 115

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by fencer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:13 pm

extrememarine wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:23 pm
I'm glad this feature is working for you now. For the record, "you guys" - i.e. myself and Tim - did not do anything to the site in the past few days. No updates, no admin changes.

I haven't heard from Fencer yet, but I assume he's good unless he speaks up.

Wayne
rbentnail wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am
Dunno what you guys did but I and others appreciate it.
My issue was the exact same one that rbentnail was describing. It is working the same as before the update now. with no changes on my end,or seemingly the boards end... go figure.

:sherlock:
rbentnail loved this
Just here to show my ass --------->>>>>>>>

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 am
FJRModel: 2007A
Location: Asheboro, NC
x 97
x 198

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by rbentnail » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

extrememarine wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm
Email me screen shots of what you see for each step of the process. Also send the OS and pc info as well. I hit the site daily from pc, laptop (s) on two different o.s. and different browsers, and I do not see the issues you are having.

I will also log in with your credentials to see if this replicates any of the issues you describe.

Know that this will not be immediate, as both Tim and I have day jobs that require our focus.

Each time I've helped someone with access or viewing of the forum, the resolution was found in one of the already suggestions made above and that individual had not followed the suggested steps for one reason or another.

Wayne.
Extrememarine@hotmail.com.
Sent email to listed address (used all lowercase) with screen shot.

User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 256
x 2298

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by extrememarine » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Email was received - will get a response out when I get home from work tonight.

Wayne
rbentnail wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm
extrememarine wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm
Email me screen shots of what you see for each step of the process. Also send the OS and pc info as well. I hit the site daily from pc, laptop (s) on two different o.s. and different browsers, and I do not see the issues you are having.

I will also log in with your credentials to see if this replicates any of the issues you describe.

Know that this will not be immediate, as both Tim and I have day jobs that require our focus.

Each time I've helped someone with access or viewing of the forum, the resolution was found in one of the already suggestions made above and that individual had not followed the suggested steps for one reason or another.

Wayne.
Extrememarine@hotmail.com.
Sent email to listed address (used all lowercase) with screen shot.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

User avatar
yamafitter
Veteran
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:33 pm
FJRModel: 06AE
Location: Outside of Toronto therefore off the edge of the world.
x 28
x 227

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by yamafitter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Ray's problem is he is using a POS Samsung. I had no problems with my vastly superior MacBook Pro.
I hear that Ray upgraded from his Samsung "smart" phone by buying some string and a couple of dixie cups.

User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 3315
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2014 A Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 816
x 2053

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by raYzerman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:00 pm

yamafitter wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:58 pm
Ray's problem is he is using a POS Samsung. I had no problems with my vastly superior MacBook Pro.
I hear that Ray upgraded from his Samsung "smart" phone by buying some string and a couple of dixie cups.
Just remember, while out in that town in BF Oregon or wherever it was, my Samsung was so valuable it got stolen, while you got to come home with your POS I-Phondler thing. Meanwhile the new Samsung has even more horsepower.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 9507
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013 -"Lucky13" -motoman break-in by jwilly...
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 10678
x 5198

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by wheatonFJR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:25 pm

raYzerman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:00 pm
yamafitter wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:58 pm
Ray's problem is he is using a POS Samsung. I had no problems with my vastly superior MacBook Pro.
I hear that Ray upgraded from his Samsung "smart" phone by buying some string and a couple of dixie cups.
Just remember, while out in that town in BF Oregon or wherever it was, my Samsung was so valuable it got stolen, while you got to come home with your POS I-Phondler thing. Meanwhile the new Samsung has even more horsepower.
Ford/Chevy.
Laying around the house...amazed that a '13 just rolled up to my door.

User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 256
x 2298

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by extrememarine » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Email returned - check your spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox...

I'll post some screenshots of what the issue was.

Please note that the "Notifications" list in the upper left menu (next to the "Private Messages" link are alerts to activity that has happened on the forum; those alerts or notifications are customization by the end user - click on "Notifications", then "Settings" you it will take you to a screen that will let you select what alerts are displayed in your "Notifications" list.

So the scenario where you're on the board, there's a new post that you read, but you see a "Notifications" there still - it will stay there until you clear it. So you could see an alert for a new post, but it not show up in the "Quick Links > New Posts" screen because you already read it at some point but did not clear the notification.

Wayne
extrememarine wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 pm
Email was received - will get a response out when I get home from work tonight.

Wayne
rbentnail wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm
extrememarine wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm
Email me screen shots of what you see for each step of the process. Also send the OS and pc info as well. I hit the site daily from pc, laptop (s) on two different o.s. and different browsers, and I do not see the issues you are having.

I will also log in with your credentials to see if this replicates any of the issues you describe.

Know that this will not be immediate, as both Tim and I have day jobs that require our focus.

Each time I've helped someone with access or viewing of the forum, the resolution was found in one of the already suggestions made above and that individual had not followed the suggested steps for one reason or another.

Wayne.
Extrememarine@hotmail.com.
Sent email to listed address (used all lowercase) with screen shot.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 256
x 2298

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by extrememarine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 am

test post.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
Veteran
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 256
x 2298

Re: Flaw since the last update

Post by extrememarine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Fencer - circling back to you on this, since you started the topic.

After the other discussion and trouble shooting we've done on this topic, I think in this software, the best option to display topics that are new or most recent, is to use the "quick links > active topics" link or "quick links > unread posts" link. Either of those will display a list of active topics sorted with the most recent posts at the top.

Let me know if you're still seeing issues with displaying active topics.

Wayne
fencer wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 pm
When I click on NEW TOPICS. There never are any... I just have to scroll through each area to find new posts
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero

Post Reply