Increased Spammer activity

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Increased Spammer activity

Post by extrememarine »

I'm seeing quite a few spammer user accounts getting in - if you see these off the wall posts, use the "report" option to flag them. I'll check the logs a couple times a day - Clocklaw is doing the same so we should be able to keep them suppressed.

-Wayne
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Increased Spammer activity

Post by wheatonFJR »

suppressed with 50 cal?

Okay, I'll look for that report "!" button.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

You might want to investigate Incapsula, it's a free service on a low traffic site and they automatically block known spam bots as well providing content distribution services.

I know I got a CRAP LOAD of spam bots on the Assistance List. After hooking up Incapsula, they dropped to almost nil. Simple DNS proxy (ask Calimus). About a 2 minute wire up.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Calimus is working on it now. We're seeing a ton of spam accounts created, but only the couple have made it to the point of being able to post; I'd call that a win on our side. Thanks for the tip, we'll check it out.

Shouldn't you be hibernating by now??

-Wayne
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Calimus
GEEK
FJRModel: 05'

Post by Calimus »

I killed registration and have cleaned what I think should be all of the spam accounts up. I'm double checking. I'm using something similar to incapsula currently, but I'll check into it as well, might work better - Thx bungie.

This is just a turd that got lucky and the bots figured out the security questions I set. Worse yet, they are using the normal .ru mail address as well as hotmail and gmail accounts. IP's are all over the place and spoofed, so banning those does no good.

Time to change out the security questions, add a few more and see if I can get them set for a more random frequency without them stopping actual FJR enthusiasts.

I'll turn registration back on as soon as I get the security questions reset.
Trying to be different, just like everyone else.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Jeeze...What a pain in the butt! Thanks for the hard work.

You do know these poor spammers are just malnourished people with a lead deficiency right? When found, that can be easily fixed!
Calimus
GEEK
FJRModel: 05'

Post by Calimus »

Ok, user registration has been re-enabled, security questions changed and for now, it's requiring admin approval.

The new questions should keep the bots from really getting through for some time. I may have to change them out every 2-3 months.

I also found out this was a massive push by Russian spammers. All over the internet, these attacks started yesterday across many different types of forums. So it wasn't just us. This is a cycle I've see over the years of running forums. People with nothing better to do I guess.

HRZ - I like the way you think. I'm currently sitting here looking at about 2k cures for their deficiency that'd I'd be happy to help administer.
Trying to be different, just like everyone else.