Vader Version 2 point 0

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Vader Version 2 point 0

Post by extrememarine »

With all the excitement around the new '13's out there, I thought I'd stir the stew some for the Gen II crowd.

New (to me) '09 is in the garage now. This is a clean, 21k mile virgin Gen II specimen. That's about to change.

So much to do. So little time - I heard there's some flat, straight, boring roads in Ohio some fellas are going to explore in May.

Better get to work.

Tail section work - replaced rear wire sub harness to get rid of the posi-tap connects being used for the Admore light kit. (a beny of having a wrecked bike in the garage - I had a spare harness...). I have the FJR-specific Admore harness, which is installed now. Admore and SAE 12v power run out the tail section to connect to the Givi E52.

Even though I have a Bluesea fuse block from the old bike, I wanted something a little more compact to allow space to store my tire pump in the tail section. I am working on re-using the OE fuse block from the old bike, with a barrier strip for the ground side. I will have 4 circuits out of the tail - heated gear x2, 12v to the Givi, and Audiovox cruise. The block has 2 more open slots for additional circuits if needed.

I pulled the mounting tab off the battery sub frame, cut it down to fit, and did a test fit. This will allow the fuse box to be pulled up and out (within the length of the amount of slack in the wiring).

Fuse block on the mounting tab. My air compressor will store directly behind it, held in place by a strip of Velcro strap.

PC-V from old bike installed after cutting out some of the plastic liner for clearance. The black/red wire will route to a switch on the front left panel - this give access to dual maps in the PC-V, switchable on the fly. I run a stock zero map and a version of the wally / uselesspickles smoothness map.

Next up, front right fairing: a relay to power the rear fuse block tucked in front of the battery with a ready made harness, using a ignition on trigger (and a fuse 1 inch off the o-ring at the battery positive terminal). Also have to figure out power block for the front - probably will use the other OE fuse block set up in the glove box - it will run the RD, Zumo, and Starcom1

No picture, but the MCL riser is off and the Helibar triple is installed. Plugs, air filter, fork fluid ordered.

Two things I'm stuck pondering. First - Remus in carbon fiber or Titanium, and second Road Attacks or Angel ST's...

Only 136 days until that boring ride in Ohio...
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Ohlins YA-707 Install.

Post by extrememarine »

My YA-707 came back from service this week - quick turn around by Fast Bike Industries in Hendersonville, NC.

It's ready for another 25k miles now. Install is a pretty straight forward process - remove the OE, replace it with the Ohlins.

Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Re: Vader Version 2 point 0

Post by extrememarine »

Progress has been slow, but picking up now. Suspension is done and installed. Brake pads done and electrical components have arrived.

Fedex delivered a package on Saturday. Continental Road Attack 2 GT's are first up on the tire menu this year. Review to follow...

Ride There!

IBA#60836

El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

extrememarine wrote:Progress has been slow, but picking up now. Suspension is done and installed. Brake pads done and electrical components have arrived.

Fedex delivered a package on Saturday. Continental Road Attack 2 GT's are first up on the tire menu this year. Review to follow...

Wayne,
I've got some wheel weights that I will be bringing up to Owasso...if yer planning on mounting them at the Tech day.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

OK. So I am an electrical stickler. I have seen too many cars burn to the ground because some redneck engineer didn't properly fuse the stereo wiring.

You said you fused 1" from the battery. Its nice to finally know there is someone out there who knows how to do wiring.

I didn't see any twist and tape connections either.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Joe - already mounted and balanced - I scored a Cycle Hill changer a couple months ago. Thanks though!

Silverback - Thanks! I've seen some scare wiring on FJR's and other stuff. I've see (+) leads off the battery run across that metal battery hold down with no abrasion cover and no fuse. On the previous two FJR's, I spent a lot of time with wiring to ensure no abrasion points or failures due to poor terminal connections, etc. To date, this anal retentiveness has rewarded me with never having an electrical farkle fail. Some say I pretty damn hard on a bike, so to have everything with stand a "extrememarine" duty cycle, that's saying something...
Ride There!

IBA#60836

El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

[quote="extrememarine"]Joe - already mounted and balanced - I scored a Cycle Hill changer a couple months ago. Thanks though!

Well then hell, I guess I'll have to take a ride up to yer place next time I need a set of tires mounted...ya wanna buy a package of BikeMaster weights? :)
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Joe - if you want to make the trip up here to put on a set of tires, come on up - Wayne's busted knuckle garage is open weekends...

El Toro Joe wrote:
extrememarine wrote:Joe - already mounted and balanced - I scored a Cycle Hill changer a couple months ago. Thanks though!

Well then hell, I guess I'll have to take a ride up to yer place next time I need a set of tires mounted...ya wanna buy a package of BikeMaster weights? :)
Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Time to update where we stand.

Conti Road Attack 2 GT's mounted, couple hundred miles on them. They are as sticky as any new tire at this point. We'll see how they fair after a couple thousand.

I road to the Tech Day at sheep feckers with only minor issues. I had some connection issues at the relay that feeds my rear fuse block. It met no heated gear for the 36 degree 90 minute ride home. Needless to say, that issue was promptly addressed and corrected the next day.

Prior to the tech day, I installed: A/B switch for the PC-V was installed. Heat Troller for liner installed with rotary switch in the left fairing. A barrier strip was used up front to power the Radar, GPS, and Starcom1 Advance. I used the fused link supplied with each component, and am feeding power from the OE heated grip circuit (which was unused on my bike). All the suspension service completed and installed (duh), as well as new brake pads, oil change, final drive fluid, spark plugs, air filter, mounted C-Bailey windshield, power to rear of bike for Givi 12v outlet and heat troller, 90 degree valve stems when new tires were levered on.

After the tech day, I got the starcom1 installed and a reflector kit on the saddle bags.

I got about a two hour shake down ride in today. New riding gear is working out, and with the starcom1 I have navigation, music, and RD in my ears now. I need to test the cell phone with it yet, and install the cabling for bike to bike FRS.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

Calimus
GEEK
FJRModel: 05'

Post by Calimus »

You've been busy. Nice going.
Trying to be different, just like everyone else.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Be sure to post up your bike-to-bike radio install. I'm looking at that too and I have pretty much the same setup as you. I wish someone would make a compatible Bluetooth format so starcom, autocom, sena, etc could talk to each other. Kinda like CB channels I guess.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

I've got to run two wires tonight for that.

I've got a sweet PTT switch set up - C14 left switch housing has a flash to pass switch in it and it matches the FJR housing. Ebay special one off a wrecked C14, soldiered on an RCA jack to that and the bike to bike interface cable for my starcom1 and you have ptt on the left handle bar.
0face wrote:Be sure to post up your bike-to-bike radio install. I'm looking at that too and I have pretty much the same setup as you. I wish someone would make a compatible Bluetooth format so starcom, autocom, sena, etc could talk to each other. Kinda like CB channels I guess.
bill lumberg loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836