Project Bike - 2006 FJR bike in a basket

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Re: Project Bike - 2006 FJR bike in a basket

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 pm Perhaps it would be very helpful if you could post up a pic of your vicious guard dog and it will deter the posse
Done:

raYzerman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 pm ...... and you got an in with the CBSA too, right? We'll get them held up at the border.
'Call has been made... 'Someone's going to get "randomly selected".

I've got places to go and things to do in the AM Ray, but I should be back home by 13:00 if the Aussies get to be too much. :D
Bugnatr and raYzerman loved this
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

I thought this was a kinda of fucked up bait and switch thread. Ray, were you ever in sales?
Festus. I think I remember where Ray lives.
Full House, Festus, Madmudder and 1 others loved this
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

You can hideout here Ray. Bring beer. And I get to use your truck.
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Hack's got it under control... border guards alerted. I'm safer on this side of the border, but no beer. When I venture back out there I'll bring some Dalwhinnie. Well OK you can use the truck too. Are we haulin' any dead bodies?
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/d ... ld-whisky/
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Just stay north of 35.1 degrees latitude...
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 pm Just stay north of 35.1 degrees latitude...
I heard everybody down there is a bit slow......
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

John d wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am I thought this was a kinda of fucked up bait and switch thread. Ray, were you ever in sales?
Festus. I think I remember where Ray lives.
No but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, been to a couple of rodeos and participated in management of a very large corporation..... a friend of mine was visiting just after I got the new motor and suggested I 'splain going through all the analysis, then post pictures of the new engine and show how magically the engine was all back together. Been working on that angle ever since.... ha ha. :twisted: :roll:
Full House, John d, FJRPittsburgh and 1 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I might have been an ass stringing you all along, so I'll just leave this here and we'll move on. There's a bike to build!!

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

To recap the engine, after checking the parts catalog, I had to transfer some electrics from the '06 engine..... ignition pickup and trigger wheel are totally different on a Gen3 throttle by wire. Stator plug had been cut off, had to borrow the one from the '06 (same stator), neutral switch has a different connector so swapped it out, cylinder identification sensor and valve cover re-used from the '06, along with the coolant tube which is also different. Needed a starter (took apart '06, all was clean, and a bit cleaner now, so good to go). Oil level sensor different part number, but same connector, so leaving it alone. Removed some Lipstick Pink fairing paint residue from stator and timing covers. Engine sits awaiting frame cleanup......

Been multitasking on other non-m/c projects the whole time, but spent a few hours on the frame, cleaning off dust and dirt so she'll have clean underwear. Taking advantage of a lightweight engine-less frame to do chassis maintenance.... see my new lifting device, 2x4 just fits between wheel and swingarm, genius eh!. Removing centerstand, putting the bolts in the right way, fully serviced suspension pivot, removed swingarm and greased up the bearings, cleaned it all up while it was out, rear caliper apart to grease slides and clean up pads (almost new) so everything will work as it should, some new owner should be happy.

Swingarm has needle bearing on one side, sealed ball bearing on the other. I believe someone had been in here before as they used loctite on the nut where it doesn't call for it and duh, it is a locking nut, LOL. Had a heck of a time getting it loose (85 ft. lbs.). Did not feel I needed to do anything with the sealed bearing, actually everything was adequately lubed by whomever. I have also read those who did swingarm service found adequate grease from Yamaha. I think once you do it (to verify) and grease it, no need to go there again, it's quite robust.

Did some more cleanup and reassembled.

So there it is all shiny, all torques checked, time for an afternoon nap. Then I'll dig out the u-joint, grease up that driveshaft spline..... I decided to install the rear drive, wheel, etc. as I think I can slip the engine/u-joint on with everything in place. At least, I can't see why not.
El Toro Joe, escapefjrtist, Full House and 1 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Is this real, or are these all bogus photos as well?

Let us know when we can start trusting you again...
NTXFJR and Festus loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Ray, that's the same feeling about the driveshaft I had when I put Jolene back together. Everyone said it needed to come out but when I put it back, I thought "I think I could have done with without taking all that out" so it'll be a great data point if you prove it can be done.

That'll save the next guy who does all this a little bit of time.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 pm Is this real, or are these all bogus photos as well?

You can't trust anybody except yourself. Play at your own risk, LOL.
FJRPittsburgh and Madmudder loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:21 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 pm Is this real, or are these all bogus photos as well?

You can't trust anybody except yourself. Play at your own risk, LOL.
Wise words.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I spend a lot of time cleaning things up, going through my baskets and hardware collection, also taking time to do some maintenance. The rear brake pedal pivot was kinda sticky, so while this bike is in this state, best just take the whole darn thing off and do it right. See the red grease squeeze-out.
Also took the time to remove footpegs and clean off accumulated grunge, and since they were worn, put some new rubbers on... Gen3 rubbers I removed from mine, they are too mushy for my tastes, so they can go on here.

A bright spot in the boxes was this brand new left side footpeg stay, the old one had the front tab broken off, so I guess the PO decided to buy a new one (before they ruined his engine). My score, so cleaned up all the stuff off the old one, lubed the shift linkages, new rubbers here too.

Might as well service all the ground spiders while the engine is out of the way, got a couple up front to do yet, but that can wait. They were all dry and in good shape, but I scrubbed them a wee bit and coated them with contact paste. All healthy now.

wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Where is Oface, the guy who sprinkles in extra parts when you have your back turned... well, not really fair, he hasn't been caught yet as far as I know, so there's insufficient evidence. Seems I found this baggie with a spacer in it, looking very suspiciously like it came from the back wheel . Now the back wheel all bolted up on the bike, and I know I never took it out, why would I do that... kinda bewildered me for a while. Then I remembered several months ago loose installing the wheel while it was in my trailer, found it odd they had removed the cush drive, WTF and I put it back together.... never knew the spacer was in some baggie somewhere.... so, here we go, gotta take that wheel off..... and there is another reason I have to take it off, but we will save that for next time.

Hppants and Cav47 loved this
tominca
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 ABS

Post by tominca »

Where do you get these rubbers? I could use some fresh ones.
It's a good day to ride
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Standard OEM footpeg rubbers, removed from my '14. The Gen3 ones are a tad taller and squishier, but I prefer the Gen1/2 rubbers, a little firmer.
tominca loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

When I used rubbers, the squishy ones just would not do. JSNS....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

The very first step pillion took on the 'foot rest, cover' she said NO, just NO. She knew at first step that Yamaha had made the covers squishy. Then a few days later the big brown truck dropped a package on our front steps and ever since we have had Gen I/2 foot rest covers.
raYzerman loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I inspected the radiator assembly and it was obvious it needed a good cleaning. Accumulated bug guts, and a bit of road tar/tiny rocks stuck on the fins, otherwise seemed fine. Mostly it was in the bottom half dozen rows and some in the top few rows, expecially the last rows where there is little normal air flow. First recommendation, get a fender extender (I like that carbon fiber one from Spain that is a tad longer than most). I don't see the need for an aftermarket rad guard if you have a fender extender.

Removed horn, fans, rad guard. I started with a good spray of hydrogen peroxide to dissolve the organic matter (bug guts) and let it soak while I worked on other things. Then repeated, let sit. Blow it out from the back side, spray on some Simple Green (my new favourite cleaner), gentle scrubbing with toothbrush on all tanks, etc., let sit, rub into fins with a toothbrush, repeat, let sit, blow job, spray on some naptha to dissolve/soften the tarry stuff. Again repeating a couple of times, took a dental pick to dig out stuff. The fins are all in good shape, very few bent, no corrosion evident.

Next step was a trip to the laundry sink and applied dishwashing soap to all the fins, both sides, followed by a nice hot water rinse, surprising how much dirty water drained off. Rinsed again, let sit to let all the water drain out of the fins.... surprising how much water those fins hold. Rinsed the insides too, was clean. Maybe I was a bit anal about it, but the rad is a very important vital organ, worth all the effort since it was already out. Final step, back to the shop, spray with isopropanol, blow dry. I held it up to a 2000 lumen shop lite, took a couple of pics. Camera didn't like the light shining in its face, so hard to focus.

Reassembled rad guard, fans and horn.... ready for mounting into the bike at the appropriate time.

I spent probably half a day on this thing...... amongst other things of course, but on the rad cleaning itself a good two hours or more.
wheatonFJR loved this