Ram Phone Holder

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Re: Ram Phone Holder

Post by bigjohnsd »

NTXFJR wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 pm I went this way.

Been there done that. The problem I have had is that when trying to charge the phone in the phone holder invariably I have a crappy connection with the micro USB into the phone, or I turn the Connector into my tank bag and screw it up, or it gets wet and the phone tells me i have a wet connection. I usually charge the phone in my tank bag which is wired to the bike and has a Charger inside, I'd like to have a completely waterproof cordless connection - hence my interest in an ultra-thin Qi charging unit.

The GSA has a BMW Nav V unit on it. This Garmin based unit is now using six-year-old technology.

A new widget called the WunderLINQ installs in place of the BMW Nav unit and replaces it.

You attach your phone to the WunderLINQ unit and it connects via Bluetooth to the motorcycle for bike info, to the motorcycle via the cradle for power, and to your headset via Bluetooth for the relay of info, GPS, Music, etc...

The Phone is then controllable from the BMW Wonderwheel which is mounted on the Left handgrip and operated by one's left thumb.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/wMeUXbxSde8[/youtube]

https://www.blackboxembedded.com/home/wunderlinq

WunderLINQ is about to release a unit with an inductive charger built into their unit. I'll likely wait for this whole solution as I think phones and APPs are soon going to replace stand-alone GPS systems.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

^^^^^^^^^^^
Youtube assist
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

NTXFJR wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 pm I went this way.

Also ditto. I use the phone mostly for texting and searches when stopped so chucking it in a saddlebag on a wet day is no biggie to me.
jblanken64
Squid
FJRModel: 2008

Post by jblanken64 »

I used to use a waterproof extremely slim wireless charging pad in my XGrip. With the QuadLock case I've gone back to a charging cable. QuadLock sells a wireless charging car charger, but it's not suitable for motorcycle use. I emailed them a while back and they indicated that one "might" be in the works, but no info beyond that. It's not a deal breaker for me though. I still love the QuadLock case/mount combo. No obstruction of the screen or the controls is so worth it.
Boyd Moody
Squid
FJRModel: 2016

Post by Boyd Moody »

I have a ram ball mount, a medium length arm and a Quad Lock mount with universal adapter and a usb charger and it works rock solid. Thoughly recommended.