Givi Top box/rack and Riser Question (and crash bars).

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 A

Givi Top box/rack and Riser Question (and crash bars).

Post by BruinFJRguy »

Suggestions/feedback please! I've poked around the forum but thought I'd start a new thread due to my specific questions.

I'm thinking about 3 mods.

1) Bar Risers
- I'm looking at the Helibar plate. I want something slightly higher, but also that allows me to decrease the pullback angle. I like having my wrists more straight, like on the FJ09 or Tenere. Although I love the FJR, I find the riding position on the Tenere less tiresome. The goal is long-ride comfort, without sacrificing sporty handling.

2) Givi Trunk and Rack
- I'm looking at the Givi V56. I like the sharp and modern lines, and more space is better. The V47 could also work.
- Again, I'm worried about handling. Keeping the front wheel planted is important for spirited twisty riding, IMO. Does having too much weight back there adversely effect handling?
- Which rack to use? I think the Givi SR357 is a good option. It seems to me I recall Sw-Motech offers something that works also.

3) Crash protection
- I like the look of the MC Enterprises canyon cages. Will these keep the plastics off the ground in the event of a tipover?
- I avoided this for a long time. I inevitable dropped my loaded bike in a parking lot due to my own carelessness (taking a break, sitting parked on a slope, perched on the seat while on the sidestand basically sitting too far upright). Fortunately there is very little damage as I was able to let the bike down gently; a couple small pits from gravel and a scratch on the mirror housing, which is barely noticeable. I want to prevent further mishaps.

Thanks in advance for any advice and sharing of experiences!
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: Givi Top box/rack and Riser Question (and crash bars).

Post by jwilly »

1. I have had the Helibar riser on my last few bikes and been very happy with it. Brings the bars back and can get the angle a little more straight.

2. I most times forget that the top case is there until you get out on the freeway it changes the feel a little, more so with cross winds. Definitely go with the SR357 mount, very solid and you don't have to work about breaking your sub-frame.

3. No experience with these, although i have crashed a few FJR's..
BruinFJRguy loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Get the Givi 357 subframe.

I have the Canyon Cages, highly recommend.

Can't help you on the bars, but I THINK AuburnFJR had a bar setup that was similar to what you describe. Look through his posts or send him a pm. When he gets back from Alaska, he may answer you.
BruinFJRguy loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Definitely go SR 357 mount. I recently upgraded to the V56 trunk and love it. Wish I'd just gone this route from the beginning.
BruinFJRguy loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
thompsonian
FJRModel: 2015

Post by thompsonian »

1. I have a set of just the riser blocks and am leaning towards the Helibridge as well. The blocks just arent cutting the mustard. Some have complaints about the small addition to the brake line you have to put in. I'm sure that theres a single line from someone (Spiegler maybe?) That eliminates that small addition.

2. I have the V47 and the SR357. The only time I notice it's back there is when I'm slabbing it.

3. I have no experience on the cages, but there are those that drag them on a regular basis. Especially if you attach a set of highway pegs to them.
BruinFJRguy loved this
Prestone
FJRModel: 2016

Post by Prestone »

+1 with the trunk having no adverse affect to handling. I'm one of those people who never to remove the trunk or side cases.
BruinFJRguy loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I have tens of thousands of miles with the E55, E55 with loaded toprack, and the v47. I recently switched tonhe V56. I don’t find any adverse handling with any of them. At speed or otherwise. Loaded or not, none of them is going to give you issues with the front wheel unless you’re doing stuff that would lift it anyway. Right now, my bike sits in the garage with two 66L waterproof duffles on the back seat, and a fully loaded v56. Leaving in a few. It’ll feel a bit like the wife is on the back with all that.
BruinFJRguy and CollingsBob loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Dyeman
Squid
FJRModel: 2013A

Post by Dyeman »

I have the MV Motorrad risers, canyon cages with Garauld sliders, Givi V47 and 357 rack. After 1 zero speed and 1 slow speed drop the only plastic damage was some very minor scratching on one mirror and a couple of scuffs on the cages and sliders. I sanded the slider a little and use rattle can black paint on the cages to touch up. Haven't noticed adverse handling with the rack and bag. Btw - I purchased my V47 and rack from Motostorm direct from Italy and saved about $150 over US pricing. Service was great.
BruinFJRguy and El Toro Joe loved this
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Dyeman wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:09 am I have the MV Motorrad risers, canyon cages with Garauld sliders, Givi V47 and 357 rack. After 1 zero speed and 1 slow speed drop the only plastic damage was some very minor scratching on one mirror and a couple of scuffs on the cages and sliders. I sanded the slider a little and use rattle can black paint on the cages to touch up. Haven't noticed adverse handling with the rack and bag. Btw - I purchased my V47 and rack from Motostorm direct from Italy and saved about $150 over US pricing. Service was great.
That was where I got my V47 & SR357 from, as well...Best price out there, and very fast delivery.
BruinFJRguy loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:55 pm Get the Givi 357 subframe.

I have the Canyon Cages, highly recommend.

Can't help you on the bars, but I THINK AuburnFJR had a bar setup that was similar to what you describe. Look through his posts or send him a pm. When he gets back from Alaska, he may answer you.
Here is a link to the bars thread https://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtop ... =21&t=3369

I can say after 18 straight days of riding in Alaska, Yukon, BC, Alberta which included at least 500 miles of gravel roads, that his bar set up was excellent. No wrist pain whatsoever. No back pain whatsoever. With their bar ends, I didn't notice any vibration in the bars.

I have the canyon cages with highway pegs attached. Works really good.
BruinFJRguy loved this
get out and ride! IBA #54706
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 A

Post by BruinFJRguy »

Thanks for all the input guys! Sounds like I'm going the right direction. I had no idea such a bar adapter existed! Now I just gotta loosen up the ole' wallet! :)
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

BruinFJRguy wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:53 pm Thanks for all the input guys! Sounds like I'm going the right direction. I had no idea such a bar adapter existed! Now I just gotta loosen up the ole' wallet! :)
Use that big prybar of a handlebar...Auburn says it works.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey