Spot Price Increase

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Re: Spot Price Increase

Post by Uncle Hud »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 pm Just to make something clear, for those reading this that might not be familiar and are looking to tip toe into this..

Spotwalla is not Spot. Spotwalla is an amazing free service provided by Jason who is a really great guy to keep this thing going for everyone out there using it. It can integrate with multiple services of your choosing. It takes data from those services and plots it on the map. Spotwalla is not logging at 5 minute intervals, that interval is set by your device.
You are absolutely correct, sir; and you are correcting my attempt to simplify things.

As I said a few posts earlier: " ... let's agree that Spotwalla just places data points on a map. Those points come from a data feed from SPOT, SWConnect, Bubbler, or a few other devices or apps. SWConnect and Bubbler depend on cellphone connection and a data plan."
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Was at a local tech shop today....... top secret there is a SPOT4 coming which will have two-way communication.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

I have waffled on a SPOT since they first came out. I have ALWAYS been turned off by their cost and shenanigans. Recently, when FYB and ETJ we're heading into Albuquerque, Bob's SPOT stayed stuck at their last stop for about 30 minutes. My plan was to meet them as they hit the east side of ABQ. Bob's SPOT showed them about 5 miles east of Albuquerque, except, he and ETJ were already at the restaurant, downtown. It took me another 10 minutes to get there, and the location had not moved. That added to my negative issues count.

I guess I have no idea if that was SPOT's fault or Spotwalla's fault, but it wasn't convenient, and goes hand in hand with the reports of people going down, and the SPOT sending help to the wrong location.

Mostly just opinions and observations, so maybe I'm off base. Maybe not...
El Toro Joe and Uncle Hud loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

SPOT has to see satellites..... perhaps in an area of poor satellite coverage, deep valley lots of trees, high cliffs, etc.? Older SPOT 1 did not have a great antenna, SPOT2 better, SPOT3 better yet.......
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:31 am SPOT has to see satellites..... perhaps in an area of poor satellite coverage, deep valley lots of trees, high cliffs, etc.? Older SPOT 1 did not have a great antenna, SPOT2 better, SPOT3 better yet.......
Ya, but the Spot 1 batteries last for ever. Oh ya, My Gen 1 Spot is for sale. Best offer.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

To me, I ride alone 90% of the time. $15 a month to have the ability to summon help if needed is money well spent. Even if it's a mechanical issue and not an emergency. One push of a button and I've got a trailer on the way. For me, I'll pay $15 a month for that piece of mind all day long. It was only $75 with their 1/2 off sale, so I don't have a ton invested.

My Spot is strapped onto me. Most people have their phones in a phone mount. Remember the video where the guy in CA hit went off the mountain and his bike landed in a tree (and stayed there?) Kind of hard to use that cell phone when your shoulder is broken and your bike is stuck 30 ft up in a tree. WHo knows where your cell phone is?

I like the product and I use it. If my jacket is on (which it is 100% of the time), then my spot is on me.
wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/ca ... tor-beacon

I haven't found anything cheaper than the SPOT (yet), but there are options.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Considering that it looks like the new Garmin InReach devices also function as a GPS device, the cost of entry isn't so bad. While the GPS doesn't look ideal compared to what we use on our FJR's, it does appear to be very similar to what the ADV and dirt bike crowd use. If you were in the market for that type GPS and a SPOT tracker, the Garmin now has the edge all the way around, for cost of device and cost of service.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

This has always been the true reason to stomach the expense - I've wrecked, hard. There was no way I was going to be able to crawl through the debris field to find the SPOT if it was on the bike. It's on me, always. I don't have the SPOT to put dots on a google map for peeps to stalk me while they are at work (JOE!).

For those that have it solely for that bread-crumb feature, they are wasting money (pay for the one time GPSBubbler PRO app and connect it to Spotwalla.com). Cell coverage is questionable at best in a lot of areas - especially where the best twisty roads are - so you cannot rely on a cell phone to reach 911 if you're laying in a ditch or off the side of a mountain. SPOT is not perfect either, but the coverage for SOS is much better than cell phone coverage.

SPOT is simply providing a service and until there is significant competition in the market, they have the business - pay it or don't. If you die in a ditch somewhere, we'll be sad - if you survive because the EMT's found you because SPOT got them to you before you died, fantastic.

Wayne

Festus wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:12 am My Spot is strapped onto me. Most people have their phones in a phone mount. Remember the video where the guy in CA hit went off the mountain and his bike landed in a tree (and stayed there?) Kind of hard to use that cell phone when your shoulder is broken and your bike is stuck 30 ft up in a tree. WHo knows where your cell phone is?

I like the product and I use it. If my jacket is on (which it is 100% of the time), then my spot is on me.
wheatonFJR, Poolboy2, and Uncle Hud loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

extrememarine wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:50 pm I don't have the SPOT to put dots on a google map for peeps to stalk me while they are at work (JOE!).

Wayne
:o I didn't get it for you to stalk me...But it did make my wife's life a little easier, while I was gone. :P
Uncle Hud loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Joe and I both lost coverage for over 2 hours while in Kings Canyon on the YFO trip. It is a steep canyon.
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

El Toro Joe wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:22 pm
extrememarine wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:50 pm I don't have the SPOT to put dots on a google map for peeps to stalk me while they are at work (JOE!).

Wayne
:o I didn't get it for you to stalk me...But it did make my wife's life a little easier, while I was gone. :P
So it's not you stalking Wayne, it's your wife? :lol:
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey