I.C.E. tag.... Any interest?

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
BlacknWhite23
Squid
FJRModel: 2005

I.C.E. tag.... Any interest?

Post by BlacknWhite23 »

I am considering making some of these tags. They would be like an Army name tape, about 4-5 inches long, red fabric, white letters, metal grommet. The point of the tag would for us to hang or attach to a pocket with our emergency info inside said pocket. I do not have an embroidery machine and am going to have to buy the fabric already embroidered.

I was trying to get a feel for how many would be interested, if any at all, prior to me buying a bunch of these strips to sit on them.

Also, I was wondering what someone would be willing to pay for something like this to see if it is even worth it since I will having to buy this and put it together.

Thanks,

Mike
Gramps
FJRModel: '13 Tiger Explorer

Re: I.C.E. tag.... Any interest?

Post by Gramps »

Here's what I've been using over the years, but it's been out of stock for over a year now and I can't find this specific one anywhere else.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views." Doctor Who 1/22/1977

Marc
kieefjr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016A **** 1988 BMW K75c

Post by kieefjr »

I'm using https://www.roadid.com ...not to bust your bubble or anything.
"If you don't like how I run the place, don't come here anymore." Iggy
Allen_C
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by Allen_C »

I'm interested and would pay up to $10. I had a RoadID once but it was a silicone bracelet instead of a tag on your jacket pocket, which is what I prefer.
Naturally air conditioned since 1979
streetdoc
Squid
FJRModel: 2013

Post by streetdoc »

Having just retired as a FF/Paramedic from a large eastern county, I can tell you these were never discussed or brought up in training. From my prospective I would recommend something like a dog tag telling us were your I.C.E information is located on you. If injuries or medical condition is such that you can't tell us anything you are most likely to be stripped as we look for injuries and we will see the dog tag/medical alert tag. I'm not looking for a cell phone or going through your wallet until later after we get you stabilize. Think of it this way, if you want emergency workers to see something about you, make it jump out at them.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

The I.C.E. tags are cool, and I have two of them I got from SacMike. I try to hang mine on a front pocket where it's easy to see if someone has to roll me over. I carry a small card in that pocket, but also wear a RoadID. It's the "Sport" version, and I forget I'm wearing it.

The problem is, none of the guys I work with know to look for an I.C.E. tag. Medic-Alert and wrist stuff works great, because emergency crews work with those areas. Emergency crews will not usually look at someone's phone, or in their wallet. Honestly as soon as we find an ID, we close it up.

A while back, someone mentioned a flash drice with a medical symbol on it, so emergency workers can plug it in and get his info. I can guarantee you crews will absolutely NOT plug a flash drive into their computers to look for their emergency information. If they have enough time for that kind of shenanigan, you can probably tell them what they need to know. Due to risks of viruses and other computer related issues, there's no way I'd plug an unknown flash drive into my secure computer.

It will take a few years before things like I.C.E. tags catch on, and crews look for them, like they do bracelets. FWIW, I've never seen them look for, or maybe just never seen them find dog tags either. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

In addition to the tags or dog tags, there is a cell phone app called Medical ID which can reside on a locked phone screen but accessible by your attending friend/EMS without needing a password (tap twice and it opens, showing your ICE info). Phone stays locked for everything else but that..
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Allen_C
Veteran

Post by Allen_C »

Android smartphones allow anyone to access the Emergency Info and Contact without a password. Just slide the phone icon up on the lock screen then tap Emergency Call then tap the emergency light icon on the lower left.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Re: RE: Re: I.C.E. tag.... Any interest?

Post by HotRodZilla »

Allen_C wrote:Android smartphones allow anyone to access the Emergency Info and Contact without a password. Just slide the phone icon up on the lock screen then tap Emergency Call then tap the emergency light icon on the lower left.
Right, except the nurse at the ER may look that info up to call someone's wife/husband. I have never seen a first responder crew look into someone's cell phone. Hell, if I go down, God only knows where my phone will be anyway.

Remember, this is not TV, where everyone finds a magical way to find someone's info. This is real-life with real people doing their jobs according to how they were trained. Like I said earlier, we're still a few years from first responders looking beyond the obvious wrist or necklace tags. Think beyond huge well trained highly tech-smart agencies, and remember, some of the funnest rides we go on are in areas where a full-time plummer is a part-time volunteer EMT. What he should know may not be what he does know. Make it easy!!
Allen_C
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: I.C.E. tag.... Any interest?

Post by Allen_C »

HotRodZilla wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:49 pm
Allen_C wrote:Android smartphones allow anyone to access the Emergency Info and Contact without a password. Just slide the phone icon up on the lock screen then tap Emergency Call then tap the emergency light icon on the lower left.
Right, except the nurse at the ER may look that info up to call someone's wife/husband. I have never seen a first responder crew look into someone's cell phone. Hell, if I go down, God only knows where my phone will be anyway.

Remember, this is not TV, where everyone finds a magical way to find someone's info. This is real-life with real people doing their jobs according to how they were trained. Like I said earlier, we're still a few years from first responders looking beyond the obvious wrist or necklace tags. Think beyond huge well trained highly tech-smart agencies, and remember, some of the funnest rides we go on are in areas where a full-time plummer is a part-time volunteer EMT. What he should know may not be what he does know. Make it easy!!
Understandable, AJ. I meant to quote Ray's post about the cell phone app! Sounds like dog tags or bracelet are the best options since first responders are used to seeing those. The ICE tag is not as recognizable yet but hopefully it will become more common.