Brake pads

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
flyby2474
Squid
FJRModel: 2007 FJR1300A

Brake pads

Post by flyby2474 »

Getting back into biking. Just bought an 07 with only 2500 miles, but seems the pads are wore out. Is this normal for the FJR and what are the best replacement pads to use?
flyby
Dr. Rich
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007

Re: Brake pads

Post by Dr. Rich »

Have you taken a flashlight and looked at the pads? The pad material is not very thick on brand new pads. I would be very surprised if they were worn out. The pads under the heaviest braking should last longer than 2500 miles. If they are actually worn out I would suspect that the actual mileage on the bike is not 2500 miles but much higher. Most guys are pretty happy with the OEM pads for replacements.
I never learned anything when I was talking. Lou Holtz
If it will run around the block, it will run around the country, cuz it don't know where it's going
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I would say very odd for oe pads to go that quickly, even under abusive riding. Most are very pleased with OE pads from yamaha, if you're looking for a little more, EBC HH offer a little more initial bite.

- trying not to be an asphalt surfer...
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Cougar8000
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FZ1

Post by Cougar8000 »

Welkome to the nutty house. It is your first post :)

at 2500 I highly doubt pads are worn out. What you do need is a brake bleed ASAP. then take them off and use those green sponge-brushes to take a top level off. just rub it a bit, just dont get too happy with it :)

Report back. When you are ready for new pads EBC HH is what many use with a great results.
fencer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 *SOLD now 2018

Post by fencer »

I have 37K on my oem and they are still good.

But who uses brakes? You don't use brakes to go fast
Just here to show my ass --------->>>>>>>>
clocklaw
Swag Master
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 FJR ABS - My Blue Angel

Post by clocklaw »

fencer wrote: You don't use brakes to go fast
Don't mind Ricky Bobby....he wants to go fast!

As for the brakes, I got 27,000 miles out of my front stockers and I'm still on the OEM for the rear.....I'm loving the replacement HHs so far, I have heard people say they wear down the rotors but darn they stop great!
wheatonFJR wrote:...you don't really expect me to finger myself do you?
HotRodZilla wrote:Be careful, don't act dumb, and like your weiner, keep it in your pants.
flyby2474
Squid

Post by flyby2474 »

Yes it's my first post to this nut house.

Okay, I'll check again. The book says to look for the marking in the pad material and if its gone, replace them. I thought maybe something was wrong cuz there's still material left on there. Thanks guys!

It's there anything else you think I may need to know about the FJR off the top of your head??
flyby
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Yeah...don't crash it.

Rule #1.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

There's a ton of info out there. On the other forum, there is a thread that has a list called "bin'o'facts" - copy and paste that into Word; it contains a ton of info about the bike as far as known quirks, how-to's, and specs. Make sure you grab the Gen 2 version ('06 to '12 model years).

Make sure all recalls have been done. Again, the bin'0'facts will help. This forum is much more tolerant of new guy type questions, the other site is more "ever hear of the 'search' feature - ish". Use the google trick for searching these sites, it's better than the built in search function in most cases. When in doubt, ask.

Welcome aboard!!

-Wayne
flyby2474 wrote:Yes it's my first post to this nut house.

Okay, I'll check again. The book says to look for the marking in the pad material and if its gone, replace them. I thought maybe something was wrong cuz there's still material left on there. Thanks guys!

It's there anything else you think I may need to know about the FJR off the top of your head??
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Cougar8000
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FZ1

Post by Cougar8000 »

well, considering how old it is. Brake fluid is the first thing that needs to be changed. That goes for the clutch fluid as well. few FJR's that I did clutch bleeder had those rusted even on a normal use models. Something about that clutch bleeder.

change all other fluids while you are at it.
flyby2474
Squid

Post by flyby2474 »

extrememarine wrote:There's a ton of info out there. On the other forum, there is a thread that has a list called "bin'o'facts" - copy and paste that into Word; it contains a ton of info about the bike as far as known quirks, how-to's, and specs. Make sure you grab the Gen 2 version ('06 to '12 model years).

Make sure all recalls have been done. Again, the bin'0'facts will help. This forum is much more tolerant of new guy type questions, the other site is more "ever hear of the 'search' feature - ish". Use the google trick for searching these sites, it's better than the built in search function in most cases. When in doubt, ask.

Welcome aboard!!

-Wayne
flyby2474 wrote:Yes it's my first post to this nut house.

Thanks for the info. I am a member of that forum and hadn't seen that page. Man there's a TON of info on there... Very interested in the whole tight throttle and how to loosen the spring page. I also have too much free play and I have no idea where the adjuster is , it's not in its typical location. I pretty sure I'll find it on there. PEACE
flyby
fencer
Veteran

Post by fencer »

fencer wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 pm I have 37K on my oem and they are still good.

But who uses brakes? You don't use brakes to go fast
49K on the originals and still trucking front and back

The bottom front almost look new, but the top front will likely get replaced on the next tire change. Rear brakes are still in great shape

Just an update on OEM life...
fencer
Veteran

Post by fencer »

It is sad that it took me 4 years to go 12 k. first year alone I did close to 12.

Time to rearrange priorities...
clocklaw and wheatonFJR loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

:P I think I just had what would be the third set put on the rear (the first being the originals), and I think I’m still on my second set up front. EBC HH is what I use. 2014 with a little over 60K.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

bill lumberg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 am :P I think I just had what would be the third set put on the rear (the first being the originals), and I think I’m still on my second set up front. EBC HH is what I use. 2014 with a little over 60K.
So you're getting around 20k miles out of a set of rear break pads, and 30k miles+ out of the fronts? Wow...
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Yep. Doesn't make sense. It's possible I am forgetting a change somewhere. As for wear in general, the bike sees almost daily big city traffic.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

A warning on what pads to NOT use on the FJR. When my 07 was much newer, I put a set of Carbonne Lorraine pads on at the recommendation of a parts manager of a dealership that gave FJR forum members a hefty discount on parts. Those pads wore out MUCH quicker than the OEM pads and wore my front rotors below limits at the same time. I've stuck with OEM since replacing the rotors with some like new ones off fleabay.