Routine maintenance and oddities.

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Re: Routine maintenance and oddities.

Post by bill lumberg »

I had to fix or pay to fix stuff all the time on my RT. I lost so much riding time and money to problems, and it scarred me.

I do not want a primary bike that is less than bulletproof. I don’t mind having one to tinker with. But it won’t be the one I count on and do long distance on.
danh600 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:36 pm
extrememarine wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm There is just something unique about working on a machine - knowing what makes it 'tick' and knowing it well enough to know when something is off, knowing that everything is right; and (in a case specific to our motorcycles) leaving the garage with the confidence that the time invested previously will mean a (mechanically) uneventful ride. That time in the garage has become, for me, just as therapeutic as each ride.
Intech wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:58 pm Exactly!

Now this is something I admire. I want to get to this point in life.

Right now I want a bullet proof bike. Put your gear on walk out to the bike an hit the starter. It fires up and everything works just like the last ride and the one before that.

That is why I have Yamahas.

Once I retire I will have more time than money. Then maybe I will become a decent mechanic.

Looking forward to that day.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Just came home after 4k miles over the last two weeks. Not one small issue. NOTHING! Simple standard maintenance and these bikes run like Hell. I don't understand why people think they should not be as reliable as any other vehicle. For some reason, running about 7k in 3rd gear through sweepers makes me think of that. Haha! Do simple stuff, make sure what needs grease gets grease and ride.
rbentnail, Hppants, Bounce and 2 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Quite frankly, this is as much reason why I choose the FJR. The damm thing is just bulletproof. Throw a leg over, hit the button, and ride. And for what "needs grease", as AJ puts it, I know how to grease (figuratively writing). The idea of starting over reading for weeks on the forum for another bike just doesn't seem worth it to me.

The FJR is for riders, not posers.....
Angus_McL, LongRanger, Bounce and 3 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption