Brakes

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Brakes

Post by silverback »

So, I got brake pads in. They are EBC Double-H pads. Thought I was ordering stock pads. Ugh.

Anyone used the Double-H pads? Will they tear up rotors?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Brakes

Post by ionbeam »

The EBC HH Sintered pads are made from a copper mix to manage heat better. Organic pads are softer, feel better and are more gentle on rotors, however, organic pads don't come close to sintered pads in heat management. The first H is for cold braking performance and the second H is for hot performance, the EBC pads have both ends covered. Copper is softer than the rotor material so the wear will favor the pad and not the rotor.

On my Honda the EBC HH pads initially had poor braking performance because my rotors were scored. After 50 miles or so the rotors were visibly polished and braking returned to what I had expected. Over the life of the pads my rotors became highly polished. After 80k miles of HH pads the rotors had a little ridge between the inner edge of the rotor and the area swept area by the pad. The rotors were still within spec for thickness.

One set of EBC HH pads won't kill your rotors. If you want to worry monitor the process take a micrometer or vernier to the rotors before installing the pads and write down the rotor thickness. Check periodically. I believe the minimum service spec for the front rotor is 0.16" and the rear brake is 0.18".

Edit to add: My Gen III at 24k miles with OEM pads the front rotor is 0.185 and the rear is 0.235.
wheatonFJR loved this
silverback
Veteran

Post by silverback »

Awesome. Thanks for the insight.

My experience with sintered pads is all automotive and they were almost a guarantee to ruin rotors.

Good to know about the heat management too. I have a tendency to make the brakes smell funny at times.

wheatonFJR loved this
--BikerGeek
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I like the OEM organics better than EBC sintered.. to each his own. I had some ceramic Carbone Lorraine pads once on the '07 and thought they might wear the rotors a bit faster.... went back to OEM, I like the feel just fine.
In the interests of science, I bought some Chinese wave style rotors, they have turned out to be excellent, a little better heat dissipation due the big slots, and it might be my imagination but they MAY have a teeeeeny bit more stopping power. Spare OEM rotors in the stash.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I used them for 80,000 plus miles on my 2014. Felt better and lasted longer. They’ll be what I use when my factory pads wear out on my 2018.
silverback wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 am So, I got brake pads in. They are EBC Double-H pads. Thought I was ordering stock pads. Ugh.

Anyone used the Double-H pads? Will they tear up rotors?

EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I used the EBC HH pads for something over 115,000 miles on my '07. (Changed the OEM pads for the EBC at around 65,000 miles) Swap them around when changing tires since they don't all wear at the same rate. Good lifetime on them and the bike still had the original rotors when I sold it last year with over 180,000 miles on it. (Never checked rotors for thickness but they weren't scored.)
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I've used EBC HH pads on both 2009 FJR's; I've never had an issue with them eating rotors. I felt they have a more aggressive initial bite under hard braking that bite remains consistent- for instance, when you run 500 miles of twisties in day (because Lee Davis says 'here, try this'...), and provide more consistent performance over their life span. That's just my opinion, many have different opinions on their feel.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
silverback
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: Brakes

Post by silverback »

extrememarine wrote:I've used EBC HH pads on both 2009 FJR's; I've never had an issue with them eating rotors. I felt they have a more aggressive initial bite under hard braking that bite remains consistent- for instance, when you run 500 miles of twisties in day (because Lee Davis says 'here, try this'...), and provide more consistent performance over their life span. That's just my opinion, many have different opinions on their feel.
This seems consistent with other sintered brakes on most cars. Helps keep the brakes from fading with hard usage.

I see a lot of people saying they won't tear up rotors, so that is comforting.

--BikerGeek
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Ditto with the EBC HH Sintered. Been using them for a long time, still have OE rotors. At 119,xxx no scoring or excessive wear.
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

EBC HH pads, used them for years with no problems. My dealer only stocks them for FJR and they are cheaper than stock.

Heated up sport bike rotors with them and they warped, never scored. Also cooked a race compound tire in a weekend. Actually my buddy warped them when we swapped bikes ! He is a hard braking MOFO. He was trying to keep up with me on the same bike with his trick motor.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Around here, the EBC run about the same price per package as the Yamaha Gen II pads. Difference is that Yamaha includes two per pack - requires 4 packages for the front. EBC has four pads per pack.