ES fork and shock rebuilds

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 7620
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 6389
x 3286

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by wheatonFJR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm

El Toro Joe wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm
...and your attempt at German is lame :lol:
...so korrect him on his ugly Deutsch schreiben.

A true Deutsche Person would do that. :stickpoke:

User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 7620
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 6389
x 3286

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by wheatonFJR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Prestone wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm
My ES shock failed, and Yamaha Yes covered to the tune of almost 4k.
Was it leaking oil or just plain unrideable due to miles?
raYzerman loved this

Bugnatr
Veteran
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 am
FJRModel: 2013 KTM 990 Supermoto T
2008 Hondapotmas, 2008 KLR650 the Goldwing of thumpers
Location: Downtown Peardale, Ca
x 653
x 615

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Bugnatr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Prestone wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm
My ES shock failed, and Yamaha Yes covered to the tune of almost 4k.
Holy bumpy ride Batman, I thought my Wing shock was pricey at 1,500.

BTW thanks mother Honda for covering it under the ext. warranty.
13 KTM 990 Supermoto, 08 Hippo, 07 KLR the GoldWing of thumpers.

User avatar
Prestone
Casual Rider
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am
FJRModel: 2016
Location: Madison, AL
x 66
x 52

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Prestone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm

wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:11 pm
Prestone wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm
My ES shock failed, and Yamaha Yes covered to the tune of almost 4k.
Was it leaking oil or just plain unrideable due to miles?
Leaking oil. I wish the high miles was the case. Had about 36k when it failed.

User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 7620
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 6389
x 3286

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by wheatonFJR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Too bad the dealer did not send the leaky shock to an aftermarket shock refurbisher...

User avatar
griff
Veteran
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 pm
FJRModel: 2014 ES
Location: Greer, SC
x 28
x 209

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by griff » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Ha, talked to the BMW guru that John referred to. He is not aware of any ES replacement for the FJR shock, just suggested good aftermarket replacements. Hell, for around $2k I could a superior suspension set up for my red headed bitch, just not ES. Sumpin to think about. We did discuss what happens when I disconnect the ES wiring, does the FJR go into fits and not run right, or does it just say my suspension is hosed. Anyone with an ES have suspension malfunctions that affected the overall bike performance? Or is it time to drink the kool aid and get an ES bike that is serviceable :lol:
Image

User avatar
Prestone
Casual Rider
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am
FJRModel: 2016
Location: Madison, AL
x 66
x 52

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Prestone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm

wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 pm
Too bad the dealer did not send the leaky shock to an aftermarket shock refurbisher...
That was the plan if I were to get it back. I would also send it to Griff if he wants it. That way his working shock doesn't have to be the test dummy.

User avatar
Hppants
Veteran
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm
FJRModel: 2014
x 1555
x 1332

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Hppants » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Considering the contents of this thread, I'm kind of glad I went with the "A' model. I really (REALLY) like the bike and kind of thinking that I'm going to ride this one to 100K or more. When it's time, the rear shock problem will be a $500.00-ish problem. Not a $3,000.00 problem.
jwilly and bungie4 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Image

User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 7620
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 6389
x 3286

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by wheatonFJR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Hppants wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:56 pm
Considering the contents of this thread, I'm kind of glad I went with the "A' model. I really (REALLY) like the bike and kind of thinking that I'm going to ride this one to 100K or more. When it's time, the rear shock problem will be a $500.00-ish problem. Not a $3,000.00 problem.
I hear ya...but the point of this thread is to see if the collective of smart people on this board is to see a way through to something far less expensive.

I may never get an ES, but I would love for my buddy griff to still rack up those monster BMR points on a replacement ES shock for much less...and others as well. Including Bugnatr, when he comes back to the fold.
Hppants loved this

User avatar
0face
Purveyor of Pr0n
Posts: 2515
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm
FJRModel: 2008
Location: Evanston, Illinois
x 254
x 1179

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by 0face » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm

wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm
Hppants wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:56 pm
Considering the contents of this thread, I'm kind of glad I went with the "A' model. I really (REALLY) like the bike and kind of thinking that I'm going to ride this one to 100K or more. When it's time, the rear shock problem will be a $500.00-ish problem. Not a $3,000.00 problem.
I hear ya...but the point of this thread is to see if the collective of smart people on this board is to see a way through to something far less expensive.

I may never get an ES, but I would love for my buddy griff to still rack up those monster BMR points on a replacement ES shock for much less...and others as well. Including Bugnatr, when he comes back to the fold.
HA! Did you hear that griff? Wheaton thinks he's your buddy...
El Toro Joe, jwilly, bungie4 and 2 others loved this
"Lets all do what we can do to bring thick skinned, donkey raping shit eaters to this joint."
-Bust

Bugnatr
Veteran
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 am
FJRModel: 2013 KTM 990 Supermoto T
2008 Hondapotmas, 2008 KLR650 the Goldwing of thumpers
Location: Downtown Peardale, Ca
x 653
x 615

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Bugnatr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm

wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm
Bugnatr, when he comes back to the fold.
I ain't fold'n nutin for nobody.
wheatonFJR loved this
13 KTM 990 Supermoto, 08 Hippo, 07 KLR the GoldWing of thumpers.

User avatar
bungie4
Veteran
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300
x 781
x 1302

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by bungie4 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 pm

El Toro Joe wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm
bungie4 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm
Why would you think it would last 115K when 'normal' FJR shocks are showing signs of being baffed in as little as 20K.
...and your attempt at German is lame :lol:
True. 😂

Just because the shock isn't leaking or the spring hasn't collapsed doesn't mean it's still serviceable. When you had your leaking shock swapped for a new one you didn't notice the difference?
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Note: The FJR1300ES offers a significant level of power & performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
Choo choo mf'r.

philharmonic
Casual Rider
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:53 pm
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300
x 65
x 62

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by philharmonic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm

I think I need to raise the price of my 400 dollar Ebay ES shock to 1200 dollars. LOL
I have met the enemy, and it is me.

User avatar
Prestone
Casual Rider
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am
FJRModel: 2016
Location: Madison, AL
x 66
x 52

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Prestone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:28 pm

bungie4 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 pm
El Toro Joe wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm
bungie4 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm
Why would you think it would last 115K when 'normal' FJR shocks are showing signs of being baffed in as little as 20K.
...and your attempt at German is lame :lol:
True. 😂

Just because the shock isn't leaking or the spring hasn't collapsed doesn't mean it's still serviceable. When you had your leaking shock swapped for a new one you didn't notice the difference?

Not really. It was leaking from the resivoir, and not the actual shock. I think I caught it pretty early on.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnJmVgSGGBwjnHeFnk3jTHgUnpzL

User avatar
bigjohnsd
Veteran
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 4:28 pm
FJRModel: 2014 BMW R1200GSA
x 496
x 667

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by bigjohnsd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 am

Prestone wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm
wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 pm
Too bad the dealer did not send the leaky shock to an aftermarket shock refurbisher...
That was the plan if I were to get it back. I would also send it to Griff if he wants it. That way his working shock doesn't have to be the test dummy.
The rules may have changed, but when I was a Yamaha dealer we had to retain parts replaced under YES for 180 days, they are subject to recall by MAMAYAMA. Once past 180 days we were supposed to dispose of the parts.

Prestone could check with his dealer to see if the shock was recalled by Yamaha, if not it would likely be available for retrieval and future experimentation by one of the aforementioned gurus.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!

User avatar
Prestone
Casual Rider
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am
FJRModel: 2016
Location: Madison, AL
x 66
x 52

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Prestone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:22 am

bigjohnsd wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 am
Prestone wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm
wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:49 pm
Too bad the dealer did not send the leaky shock to an aftermarket shock refurbisher...
That was the plan if I were to get it back. I would also send it to Griff if he wants it. That way his working shock doesn't have to be the test dummy.
The rules may have changed, but when I was a Yamaha dealer we had to retain parts replaced under YES for 180 days, they are subject to recall by MAMAYAMA. Once past 180 days we were supposed to dispose of the parts.

Prestone could check with his dealer to see if the shock was recalled by Yamaha, if not it would likely be available for retrieval and future experimentation by one of the aforementioned gurus.
I called today asking for it back and they said they would get back to me. Fingers crossed, but not real hopeful
bigjohnsd and Hppants loved this

User avatar
raYzerman
Veteran
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2014 A Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 461
x 1186

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by raYzerman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 am

I've heard of 2 or 3 ES shock leaks, and they were the preload adjuster not the actual shock...... probably an o-ring and re-fill the adjuster like we did in the old days on GL's and ST's..... but since "The Book" don't have no serviceable part numbers, just replace the entire shock. Similar to replacing the entire throttle body on a Gen3 if the TPS goes... idjits.
If I had an ES, I'd stick with OEM system and not disable it. Or trade it for a superior A model. :stickpoke:
If refurbing an ES shock, take the opportunity to re-spring it for your weight.
bungie4 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
griff
Veteran
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 pm
FJRModel: 2014 ES
Location: Greer, SC
x 28
x 209

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by griff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 am

raYzerman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 am
If refurbing an ES shock, take the opportunity to re-spring it for your weight.
That's what I would do for sure, since I weigh a dainty 250 :D
Image

User avatar
bungie4
Veteran
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300
x 781
x 1302

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by bungie4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am

griff wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 am
raYzerman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 am
If refurbing an ES shock, take the opportunity to re-spring it for your weight.
That's what I would do for sure, since I weigh a dainty 250 :D
Sounds like retirement is agreeing with you! I must be getting close, I'm knocking on 200.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Note: The FJR1300ES offers a significant level of power & performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
Choo choo mf'r.

User avatar
Hppants
Veteran
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm
FJRModel: 2014
x 1555
x 1332

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by Hppants » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:34 am

Two-fiddy? Dang, man! That South Carolinian fried chicken is pretty darn good, no?

My '14A is gonna cross 50K either this weekend or the next. Now that I think about it, the rear shock ain't what it used to be. I'm not opposed to the upgrade, it's taking the entire back end of the bike apart that's worrisome.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Image

Post Reply