ES fork and shock rebuilds

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Re: ES fork and shock rebuilds

Post by griff »

HotRodZilla wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:25 pm I replaced that new shock with a rebuilt Wilbers snd absolutely love it. The difference is amazing. And I'd never get another FJR without either the ES or immediately upgrading the suspension, to include the valving in the forks. Blah blah blah, we've all heard that before. Point is, Yamaha replaced my worn out shock with no exterior defects under warranty. You might want to give that a shot.
Thanks Zilla. I had Wheatie ride my bike the other day and he did say the shock seemed tired, but not absolutely crap yet. Sooo, I don't know that Yamaha would replace my shock just because it seemed tired with 115K on it. But as you said, it may be worth a try. I still have YES for another year, so I could hope for a massive rear shock failure and get a new one under warranty. :D I did talk to the Yamaha tech that replaced Prestone's and he said it's tricky replacing the ES shock. They had to talk to US Yamaha to figger out how to get the new shock to talk to the ES system, not simply a plug and play operation.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

griff wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am
HotRodZilla wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:25 pm I replaced that new shock with a rebuilt Wilbers snd absolutely love it. The difference is amazing. And I'd never get another FJR without either the ES or immediately upgrading the suspension, to include the valving in the forks. Blah blah blah, we've all heard that before. Point is, Yamaha replaced my worn out shock with no exterior defects under warranty. You might want to give that a shot.
Thanks Zilla. I had Wheatie ride my bike the other day and he did say the shock seemed tired, but not absolutely crap yet. Sooo, I don't know that Yamaha would replace my shock just because it seemed tired with 115K on it. But as you said, it may be worth a try. I still have YES for another year, so I could hope for a massive rear shock failure and get a new one under warranty. :D I did talk to the Yamaha tech that replaced Prestone's and he said it's tricky replacing the ES shock. They had to talk to US Yamaha to figger out how to get the new shock to talk to the ES system, not simply a plug and play operation.
Griff, I'd give it a shot. It all depends on how it is written up by the dealer/mechanic, as to whether the Y.E.S. warranty will cover it. It needs to be more of a failure than a wear issue.
HotRodZilla loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

El Toro Joe wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:56 am
griff wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am
Griff, I'd give it a shot. It all depends on how it is written up by the dealer/mechanic, as to whether the Y.E.S. warranty will cover it. It needs to be more of a failure than a wear issue.
^^^^^^^^^THIS. That's almost EXACTLY what my service guy said. He said if he can say it's bad and the rep will agree with him, warranty will cover it. Granted, mine was not $3k ES version. That kind of difficulty sounds like a PITA. Good luck!!
wheatonFJR loved this