Color opinions from all you Martha Stewart wannabees.

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Color opinions from all you Martha Stewart wannabees.

Post by Uncle Hud »

So here's something I've been ruminating during the past few months. What's your opinion?

I'm gonna do some cosmetic stuff to my FJR to cover the scrapes, gouges, and signs of abuse she's suffered at my hands. Those scars are mostly on the hardcases, with smaller ones on the fairing. (Oh yeah, and a big crack in the fairing where we went down on a flooded road a little north of Orlando.) If I paint those parts, she should look pretty again.

The 2015 models are painted in super-fast Liquid Graphite; let's call it black or dark grey. What color do I paint the fairing and hardcases? (Not painting the body; just the fairing and hardcases.)

Gold would be awesome. Unmistakable Yellow Jacket styling.
Painting them white would also be pretty cool; would that look too much like a police officer?
Yamaha blue might look pretty, too.
A different shade of grey or black, perhaps with metalflake?
Not sure if British Racing Green would clash with the Liquid Graphite. I've seen Heidi's green FJR; it's nice, but it's not two-tone.

To be clear, this isn't a voting thing like the calendar contest. I'm just looking for ideas outside those envisioned by my narrowly-focused little mind.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: Color opinions from all you Martha Stewart wannabees.

Post by Hppants »

Are you opposed to painting it with the stock color? Or just looking for something different? Personally, I think the '13 stock color is really nice.
bigjohnsd loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I'm a little unclear what fairing pieces need painting and where, what about the adjustable panel, would wide stripes look nice, etc..... how 'bout some pichers from the side. What is your ultimate goal with this bike, you gonna ride it til it absolutely dies and is worth nothing or will you be wanting a 2020 model one day and hope to retain some value to sell this or trade it in?
I've always wanted to see an entire FJR painted Burnt Sienna...... two-tone, not so much.
LKLD loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Whatever you paint needs to compliment what’s left. I vote for Tech colors. If they compliment the liquid speed of the stock paint.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Uncle Hud,

I would vote for some (not all) of the Carbon Fiber vinyl wraps. They can be had in various "grades" from fine to coarse weaves, and in colors from very light gray, to silvers, to browns, to almost black. Get the surface smooth enough with a filler, smooth it out with fine grits of sandpaper, and apply the wrap. A heat gun lets that stuff cover compound curves amazingly well. Check out the YouTube videos for wrapping techniques over curvy places.

In colors, (not CF pattern) you can get almost any solid color, chameleons, and even translucent wraps (for a topcoat). 8-)
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

As much as a GT junkie as you are, you might as well go with that! I personally would never have the stones to do that. Mostly because if the 2020 ones come out in a Pearl Arctic White, I am gonna be looking for value either in trade or out in the regular market. We know custom paint jobs appeal to a very select crowd.

If you are gonna ride it forever or until it basically becomes bottom dollar trade bait, then go for it and do what makes you happy. There has to be a website out there that will give you a pretty good rendition of what you want it to be.

GO FOR IT.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Shit Brown or that Canadian Root Beer colour.

Same thing.
D-Eagle, Uncle Hud, and Bust loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Uncle Hud wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:45 pm Gold would be awesome. Unmistakable Yellow Jacket styling.
I am the king of yellow. I love yellow bikes. I've owned several of them. I've painted two bikes yellow and black. I love the yellow goldwing. I had visions of a yellow FJR.

Now, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings that might still be around, but shortly after I got my FJR I stumbled upon a photo of a Gen I that was painted yellow and almost threw up. I had no idea that a vehicle existed that yellow made look worse. That vehicle is the FJR. I don't know why but it just does.

So, as a total fan of yellow, I vote not yellow. As not a fan of blue or red so much, these bikes really rock those colors very well. I recall a bright red painted (not 2014) someone had that I really liked, and I really really don't like red.
bill lumberg loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Uncle Hud, El Toro Joe, jwilly and 3 others loved this
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

Marty, I'm not sure where you find this shit or what you're searching for... and I'm not sure I want to know. :?
0face wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:46 am Image
HotRodZilla, bigjohnsd, BkerChuck and 4 others loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Tyler wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:29 am Marty, I'm not sure where you find this shit or what you're searching for... and I'm not sure I want to know. :?
That is Marty on the bike.
Uncle Hud, Tyler, CraigRegs and 1 others loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

When my 03 got rashed up I thought about taking the bags and tupperware to Rhino Lining and have them somewhat color match it. Then you can drop the fuker and not fret about it! Never got to it and some fine Soccer Mom's insurance decided to buy me an 06 after their client turned in front of me...
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

jwilly wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:26 am When my 03 got rashed up I thought about taking the bags and tupperware to Rhino Lining and have them somewhat color match it. Then you can drop the fuker and not fret about it! Never got to it and some fine Soccer Mom's insurance decided to buy me an 06 after their client turned in front of me...
When was that?

2003?
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:38 am When was that?

2003?
I think that bike was wrecked in 2008 or 2009? Bought the 03 in 2004 and put 155k miles on it.
wheatonFJR loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

what a dickhead...

"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

For clarity, here's what I was thinking:

All opinions noted, and thanks. Even 0face's dick pic was considered for 50 microseconds before being the first entry in the "Nope" list.

I'm with you, Cav, a gloss white FJR is lust-worthy. Hadn't thought about doing the entire bike in white, and ignoring what color might be offered in 2020. Gotta think about how many coats will be required to hide the dark grey ... and repair the next parking lot drop.

Wraps are definitely on the board, despite never seeing an FJR done that way. Solid color and carbon fiber wraps were already under consideration; other patterns ... probably not.

Maybe a gloss white wrap? That would only require one application, right?
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Get some bag sliders. jsns
Cav47 loved this
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pmFor clarity, here's what I was thinking:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4822/442 ... e8e1_z.jpg]
a gloss white FJR is lust-worthy.
Wraps are definitely on the board, despite never seeing an FJR done that way. Solid color and carbon fiber wraps were already under consideration; other patterns ... probably not. Maybe a gloss white wrap? That would only require one application, right?
Uncle Hud,

Google for
motorcycle vinyl wrap
and click the IMAGES button near the top. The pattern jobs are (mostly) hokey, but there are some decent solid color wraps, including white.
Cav47 and Uncle Hud loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm Even 0face's dick pic was considered for 50 microseconds before being the first entry in the "Nope" list.
Even though it was 50 microseconds, you still considered it? :roll:

I think I would leave the heat vent black, so as to break up the color.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm For clarity, here's what I was thinking:

FIXED IT
El Toro Joe and wheatonFJR loved this