What fork oil shall I use?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
jz3588
Squid
FJRModel: 2006

What fork oil shall I use?

Post by jz3588 »

Good evening, I am about to do the seals on my 07 FJR, I pulled the forks off, have the seals, but no matter all the searching I've done on this topic I am still not positive on the oil level, and oil type.
I have seen anything from 90-110 mm oil level mentioned, and I was going to use 5w Pro Honda HP Fork Oil as my father works at a Honda shop, and I've used it in the past with great results.
I do apologize if this has been beaten to death, but can anyone chime in and set me straight?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: What fork oil shall I use?

Post by extrememarine »

I can look up the oil level in my service manual and post here - will be tomorrow afternoon...

As far as fork oil, someone should chime in on that - my set up is not OEM, so the oil I use would not be correct for your OEM forks.

Wayne
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
jz3588
Squid

Re: RE: Re: What fork oil shall I use?

Post by jz3588 »

extrememarine wrote:I can look up the oil level in my service manual and post here - will be tomorrow afternoon...

As far as fork oil, someone should chime in on that - my set up is not OEM, so the oil I use would not be correct for your OEM forks.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne!!!Image

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Last time I chose Pro Honda Suspension Fluid SS-8. I've used the 5W you mention on other (lighter) bikes and went with the SS-8 10W for the FJR simply b/c of the bike's weight. Glad I did.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

The FSM fork oil level is 92mm, and one should never over-fill. Under-fill is OK to a point, and some choose to have more air as a cushion, so something like 98-100 mm is fine.
One thing I'd recommend is putting in a set of straight-rate springs that are suitable for your weight. The OEM springs are 0.85 rate and more of a progressive style, made for lighter riders. If you are 200 lbs., you will benefit from more suitable springs. If you were to use RaceTech springs, their fork oil level recommendation is 130mm, but keep in mind their springs are longer and of a heavier wire gauge and need more room.
As for oil, the only reason to go heavier is to provide more damping. The OEM oil is on the light side (it has been said lighter than 5W), but I don't know anyone who has run out of damping adjustments. You can experiment with 10W, but 7W would be OK IMHO. Nothing wrong with 5W either, and the replacement oil may be more of a true 5W. If you keep the OEM springs, perhaps a heavier oil would provide some compensation but this is not an exact science.
Check out the suspension matrix I posted, perhaps some valuable info for you......
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2373
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Geezer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by Geezer »

The viscosity numbers for fork and suspension oils are not standardized and vary greatly across brands.

Here is some technical reading on the subject which includes a comparison matrix:

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index. ... sion_Fluid
My wife asked me why I speak so softly around the house. I said that I was worried that someone was listening. She laughed, I laughed, Alexa laughed.
jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

raYzerman wrote:The FSM fork oil level is 92mm, and one should never over-fill. Under-fill is OK to a point, and some choose to have more air as a cushion, so something like 98-100 mm is fine.
One thing I'd recommend is putting in a set of straight-rate springs that are suitable for your weight. The OEM springs are 0.85 rate and more of a progressive style, made for lighter riders. If you are 200 lbs., you will benefit from more suitable springs. If you were to use RaceTech springs, their fork oil level recommendation is 130mm, but keep in mind their springs are longer and of a heavier wire gauge and need more room.
As for oil, the only reason to go heavier is to provide more damping. The OEM oil is on the light side (it has been said lighter than 5W), but I don't know anyone who has run out of damping adjustments. You can experiment with 10W, but 7W would be OK IMHO. Nothing wrong with 5W either, and the replacement oil may be more of a true 5W. If you keep the OEM springs, perhaps a heavier oil would provide some compensation but this is not an exact science.
Check out the suspension matrix I posted, perhaps some valuable info for you......
I appreciate the feedback!
I should add I weigh 175 pounds(without gear) and was looking to start with the stock oil weight, and level and start there to see how it works for me..I have about .5 miles on this bike so far.
I have the suspension on my VFR totally redone for my weight, and riding style (aggressive sport touring) which was a lot of $$ but completely worth it to me.
I am just starting out on the FJR so the intention is to establish a base line and work from there, if needed.
Additionally I want to get it back together and ride lol!!
With all that said, I absolutely welcome any and all feedback/suggestions, or anything that could benefit me in terms of oil type, and oil level.
Thanks again guys, Happy Monday!!Image

jz3588
Squid

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: What fork oil shall I use?

Post by jz3588 »

jz3588 wrote:
raYzerman wrote:The FSM fork oil level is 92mm, and one should never over-fill. Under-fill is OK to a point, and some choose to have more air as a cushion, so something like 98-100 mm is fine.
I appreciate the feedback!
I should add I weigh 175 pounds(without gear) and was looking to start with the stock oil weight, and level and start there to see how it works for me..I have about .5 miles on this bike so far.
I have the suspension on my VFR totally redone for my weight, and riding style (aggressive sport touring) which was a lot of $$ but completely worth it to me.
I am just starting out on the FJR so the intention is to establish a base line and work from there, if needed.
Additionally I want to get it back together and ride lol!!
With all that said, I absolutely welcome any and all feedback/suggestions, or anything that could benefit me in terms of oil type, and oil level.
Thanks again guys, Happy Monday!!Image

BTW I did see the 92mm noted in FSM, but I have seen "100"mm mentioned enough times in postings etc to be conflicted.

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Different generation models may have different specs, that may be where some of the confusion comes from.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

I use SPORK oil. Works best if you have slightly modified forks.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

The bike was designed (many think) for a 160-170 lb. rider, but many ride with OEM springs even though heavier. For 175, you're likely good with the stock springs although one day straight rate springs might be in your future. No problem using the 5W fork oil you found, and I'd set the level somewhere 95-100 and it will be good. Set the sag for you, probably 2 lines of preload showing, tweak from there based on whether you want firmer or lighter. You'll then dial in the damping as needed.
The stock damping settings are all at 12 clicks out from fully seated. Pretty light. I'd start with them all set to 8 clicks out and dial it in from there. Likely you'll put the rear shock between 8 and 6 clicks....... it takes a while on various road conditions to dial it in, so go ride!!
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

rbentnail wrote:Different generation models may have different specs, that may be where some of the confusion comes from.
Understood, I'm hoping looking for information by on the 2007 model

jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

Uncle Hud wrote:I use SPORK oil. Works best if you have slightly modified forks.
I'll have to look into thatImage

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

jz3588 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:16 pm
Uncle Hud wrote:I use SPORK oil. Works best if you have slightly modified forks.

I wouldn't bother. Sporks are only good for eating KFC coleslaw...am I right?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
baowow
Contributor
FJRModel: 2015 A

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: What fork oil shall I use?

Post by baowow »

wheatonFJR wrote:
jz3588 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:16 pm

I wouldn't bother. Sporks are only good for eating KFC coleslaw...am I right?
And the great game of spork pop

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

"the great game of spork pop"? Please, another thread with rules and strategies ...

Sporks are also good for biscuits and gravy, you Yankee heathen.

And we have strayed so very far from the OP's original inquiry.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm "the great game of spork pop"? Please, another thread with rules and strategies ...

I think he realizes, he's got the goods. The rest is just gravy.
Uncle Hud loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

raYzerman wrote:The bike was designed (many think) for a 160-170 lb. rider, but many ride with OEM springs even though heavier. For 175, you're likely good with the stock springs although one day straight rate springs might be in your future. No problem using the 5W fork oil you found, and I'd set the level somewhere 95-100 and it will be good. Set the sag for you, probably 2 lines of preload showing, tweak from there based on whether you want firmer or lighter. You'll then dial in the damping as needed.
The stock damping settings are all at 12 clicks out from fully seated. Pretty light. I'd start with them all set to 8 clicks out and dial it in from there. Likely you'll put the rear shock between 8 and 6 clicks....... it takes a while on various road conditions to dial it in, so go ride!!
Excellent, thanks for all the information!!Image
I went with the Honda HP 5w, and am planning to use 100mm for oil level. I truly appreciate all the feedback!
Hope to have it back together this weekend.. I may as well grease the steering head bearings, and install my " Tour Performance" riser while I'm in there..

jz3588
Squid

Post by jz3588 »

wheatonFJR wrote:
Uncle Hud wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm "the great game of spork pop"? Please, another thread with rules and strategies ...

I think he realizes, he's got the goods. The rest is just gravy.
I appreciate all feedback boys, even the jokesImageImage

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

On my Gen 1, I went with exactly the same: Honda 5W, 100 mm. Made a huge difference in dampening performance.

Don't forget to clean up the exposed pistons and grease the pad pins on front brake calipers. Rotate the pads if you want to get longer life out of the set.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption