What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by HotRodZilla »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:58 pm Based on some reading in the steering head spanner thread, I pulled it apart and loosened it all the way, tightened it up, then loosened a bit and back up to 18 this time. Went for the first ride on it in months, I think I like it a little tighter than the manual calls for. Felt good to have it out again, even if it was only for 20-30 minutes. Fall is almost here though, and I feel some moto camping coming on.
What is wrong with all of your bikes that you keep f@$king with the steering head bearing? Mine has never been screwed with and it has never had an issue. Seems like a lot of people creating a problem that is not a problem.
FJRoss loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

HotRodZilla wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:42 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:58 pm Based on some reading in the steering head spanner thread, I pulled it apart and loosened it all the way, tightened it up, then loosened a bit and back up to 18 this time. Went for the first ride on it in months, I think I like it a little tighter than the manual calls for. Felt good to have it out again, even if it was only for 20-30 minutes. Fall is almost here though, and I feel some moto camping coming on.
What is wrong with all of your bikes that you keep f@$king with the steering head bearing? Mine has never been screwed with and it has never had an issue. Seems like a lot of people creating a problem that is not a problem.
I replaced them earlier this year with everything per the FSM. Didn't feel quite right on the trip to Red Lodge so I pulled it apart and retorqued them when I got back but felt the same. Someone on the other thread mentioned the higher torque setting used by other manufacturers so I thought I'd try it and see. It's a quick and simple job, even with the added four fasteners on the Motorrad riser that I figured it was worth a try.

The other bikes are fine.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:28 pm
HotRodZilla wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:42 pm
I replaced them earlier this year with everything per the FSM. Didn't feel quite right on the trip to Red Lodge so I pulled it apart and retorqued them when I got back but felt the same. Someone on the other thread mentioned the higher torque setting used by other manufacturers so I thought I'd try it and see. It's a quick and simple job, even with the added four fasteners on the Motorrad riser that I figured it was worth a try.

The other bikes are fine.
Ah. I guess I didn't pay attention that you had taken them off earlier.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Well, not today, but the other day I got a new set of PR4GTs put on.

Yesterday I changed the oil, filter and the rear end lube.

Hoping to get in a couple more long rides this fall!!!
YummYam loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Got shipment notification on the R5GT rear
I ordered. The existing rear tire is almost slick. Hopefully get it swapped out Saturday.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Got my Angel GT front tire yesterday. Going to hold onto it, until the front T31GT gets lumpy. Installed my Tekspec snakeskin tank pads as well. Riding on Friday.
wheatonFJR and HotRodZilla loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

Toter wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:45 am Got my Angel GT front tire yesterday. Going to hold onto it, until the front T31GT gets lumpy. Installed my Tekspec snakeskin tank pads as well. Riding on Friday.
Those snakeskin pads are super cool. I have them installed on my bags. I have the ones for the tank sitting in a bag that I forgot I had. Haha! I found them right before I left for Red Lodge. I still need to install them. I love the bag protectors, so the tank ones will be icing on the cake!
Toter and wheatonFJR loved this
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

HotRodZilla wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:30 pm
Toter wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:45 am Got my Angel GT front tire yesterday. Going to hold onto it, until the front T31GT gets lumpy. Installed my Tekspec snakeskin tank pads as well. Riding on Friday.
Those snakeskin pads are super cool. I have them installed on my bags. I have the ones for the tank sitting in a bag that I forgot I had. Haha! I found them right before I left for Red Lodge. I still need to install them. I love the bag protectors, so the tank ones will be icing on the cake!
I had a set of color matched blue magnetic tank protectors on the 06, but they were just for protection, not grip. Was really hard to tell they were there. Never even thought about those for the 15, just bought the snakeskins.
HotRodZilla loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

I have had the snake skin pads on my 2013 for 7 years now. They still look like the day I put them on. Lots of Florida heat and rain has had no bad effects.
HotRodZilla loved this
morecowbell
Squid
FJRModel: 2012

Post by morecowbell »

This afternoon I rode the FJR 253 miles in miserable heat from Las Vegas to Palm Springs. Most of the miles were north of 100 degrees, with 111 degrees for the last miles into the Coachella Valley. It was a sweaty end to an 11 day trip.

The 4874 mile trip included layovers at Torrey UT, Steamboat CO, Rapid City SD, Custer SD, Cheyenne WY, Steamboat (again), Gunnison CO, Durango CO, Moab UT and Las Vegas. So many sights...red rocks, bright fall foliage, Presidential heads carved into a mountain. I had to jumpstart my buddy's FJR twice with morning temps in the 20s and his old/weak battery. The wife rode along for 5 days/1650 miles. She's a good sport. She caught a flight out of Durango, and my riding buddy headed for home that same morning. I did the last three days solo.

I left Moab at sunrise Thursday morning with a plan to do 930-ish mile ride to get home late that night. I routed through the southern part of Canyonlands NP, Blanding, Hanksville, Torrey, Escalante, Panquitch, Cedar City, Gunlock, and planned for the Kelso/Amboy route through the desert that night. A bit before sunset coming down Gunlock Rd, the bike felt wiggly in the corners. I'd noticed that the rear Avon had plenty of center tread remaining, but the sides were worn almost smooth. I attributed the wiggles to the worn tread in the corners. Eventually I noticed it wiggling on the straight roads. I pulled over and checked the rear tire pressure...it was at 20 pounds! I headed towards St George and found a convenience store with compressed air. Well what do you know...a 1.5 inch nail was stuck in the tread. I plugged the hole with my repair kit and headed for I15 in the dark. I stopped in Mesquite to check the tire pressure and pump it up a few pounds. The plug seemed to hold pressure, and I figured I could get home around 1am. Then I was heading towards Las Vegas at 70 mph in the dark, I felt the bike wiggling again. Shit. After a few miles I found an exit with no services and no lighting whatsoever. Using my headlamp to see what I was doing, I pulled the first plug and tried another. Pumped up the tire with my compressor. I then rode from truck stop to truck stop towards Las Vegas pumping up the tire a bit each stop. There was no way this tire was making it home that night. I finally got into Vegas and found a hotel not far from a Yamaha dealer; I shut down at 11pm, roughly 17 hours after leaving Moab. Luckily there was a sports bar/brew pub across the road from the hotel that was still open. When life hands you lemons, you eat a burger and drink IPAs. I got the tire changed this morning ($270 for the tire, free installation, Michelin Road 5) and made the sweaty ride home.

Two lessons learned from this trip: 1)the headlamp is priceless. This is the first trip I've carried one, and I'll never travel without one again. There's no way I could have plugged the tire in the dark holding a flashlight in my teeth. 2) always check your tire plug kit for fresh/unopened rubber cement. I found an open tube in my repair kit, and it had dried up/evaporated. I'm so glad I checked the kit before the trip. In the future, I'll carry two unopened rubber cement tubes in my kit at all times.

I apologize for the length of this post and any grammatical errors...I seem to be on my fourth IPA as I type this. I love road trips, but it's good to be home.
Hppants, Uncle Hud, Niehart and 9 others loved this
"I've got a fever...and the only prescription, is more cowbell" - Christopher Walken, SNL
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Awesome report! It’s unnerving to have wiggly tires. Glad you got home safe.

No apologies on this board, you must have us confused with another place.
morecowbell, D-Eagle, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

When I took my son on his first camping trip I bought him one of those headlamps. I figured it was easy for him to have light wherever he looked rather than trying to figure out a flashlight at that age, and also it would be hard for him to lose it. Turns out, after the trip it became mine and one of my most prized tools. I can't believe how simple and useful they are, and also how long it took for me to buy one. I actually carry two on trips just in case.
Uncle Hud, bungie4, danh600 and 4 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Spooned on new front and rear rubber. Dented my headers when I made a mistake while servicing the pumpkin and shaft while the bike hovered on jacks. Bike fell over with no front and rear wheels on. Griff came to the rescue and helped me get the bike upright and back on its perch. Was gonna ride with Duane tomorrow, but I stopped work after I saw the 1/4" indentation across all four headers.

Its gonna be a Jack Daniels night.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

^^^^ not liking that. Sorry Wheatie. That procedure of taking off the front and back wheel always scares me. We have been known to tether a strap the the garage door brackets as piece of mind.
wheatonFJR loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Wow Wheatie, that IS bad news. I feel for you. However, do know that I'm bookmarking this for the next time you bring up me and fork maintenance. :D

Seriously though, that sucks. I cannot imagine the pit in your stomach as you watch it go over, or standing there with it laying on it's side with no wheels. I'm glad Griff was able to come help. Don't go too heavy on the Jack though, you've had enough "Jack" issues today.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog

HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:32 pm Spooned on new front and rear rubber. Dented my headers when I made a mistake while servicing the pumpkin and shaft while the bike hovered on jacks. Bike fell over with no front and rear wheels on. Griff came to the rescue and helped me get the bike upright and back on its perch. Was gonna ride with Duane tomorrow, but I stopped work after I saw the 1/4" indentation across all four headers.

Its gonna be a Jack Daniels night.
Damn dude. That SUCKS!! Stuff like that scares the crap out of me and I strap things up every way I can think of. Glad Griff was able to help you!
wheatonFJR loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Mark I am so sorry. So easy to do. One time with back tire off I got the front off and was sitting in front and the bike started to go over. I could hold it up with 2 fingers but it wouldn’t stay. I couldn’t hold it up and stand up. Luckily I had my phone and called my wife inside 30 feet away and she held it while I stood up. I’ve always hated jacking up the bike. I used a front stand for years but it is in the way for much of work. Surprised it doesn’t happen more. Nice night for Jack. Sorry for the occasion.
wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I worry about that exact thing so i ratchet strap the bike directly to my lift. The problem is that if you let it down the straps loosen, and if you raise it, they tighten. Still, better than trusting gravity.

Sorry for your grief.
wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

Ouch! The thought hurts enough, even when I'm drinking and it's not my bike!
wheatonFJR loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Cowbell, glad it is a story with a happy ending, and it will get better with age. Already check my tire glue occasionally. Will add one of my many backpacking headlamps into the tire patch kit today.

Wheatie ... damn bad luck. Sorry it happened. From a purely technical view, will this change your exhaust note?
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517