What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Bugnatr »

I've become fan of the Stinko's 705's for my S10. The rear is toast at 5k but the front is wearing like Iron....just may get close to three rears to one front. Puppychow and I rode Monitor Pass a couple days ago and if you know Monitor-you know we had some fun!

No complaints with the 244's on the KLR either.
HotRodZilla and gixxerjasen loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Cav47 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:17 am ...VERY carefully navigated the acorns on the driveway. Them suckers are dangerous...
Organic ball bearings. We have an oak tree that has grown over our garage driveway that makes maneuvering treacherous. Fortunately, my wife pretty much keeps the driveway clear. For the wrong reasons though, she stores them to feed the squirrels over the winter -- but well away from the bird feeders.
Uncle Hud and Cav47 loved this
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

It was a beautiful fall day in Upstate SC yesterday so I took a ride to Sassafras Mountain which is the highest point in the state. On the way down I encountered a fox who darted out quickly from the side of the road. As you can see from the short video he realized quickly that he made a bad choice and did his best to get the hell out of there. I did my best to avoid him and it all worked out in the end for both of us thankfully. Gotta love ABS as I hit the front brake hard and the bike dove and slowed quickly to help me from hitting the little critter.

Years ago on my Goldwing this exact thing happened but it was a deer that time and I hit him point blank in the neck area. He jumped down from an embankment on the side of the road so I had less time to react than this fox. Luckily the big ole girl stayed up right and I was ok as I was 500 miles from home in WVA. (Deer are like herds of sheep in that state) The impact spun him around striking my leg as he went by. I had no time to hit the brakes that time or raise my heart rate. My friend behind me had to change his shorts watching it happen saying it was amazing the bike stayed upright. :shock: :lol: I was able to limp home from that trip to find out there was 4K worth of damage to the Wing. It could have been much worse and was fortunate. I do not like to think about what could have happened if I hit this fox.

Its that time of year where Bambi and all kinds of varmints like this guy are on the move. I am always scanning when I ride looking for them but think this is a good reminder to keep the speed down out there on these country roads. Had I been going faster I think the outcome could have been worse. Also I always record every ride with a GoPro as you never know what you will see and record. This is a good example of why that is valuable at least to me. Hope you enjoy the video and close encounter.

https://youtu.be/ooW5UAuSTXc
HotRodZilla, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Little dude was all over his brakes. :D
HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR, and Blueridgerider loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Another GoPro moment and recent story I thought I would share. Also this is a moment when my recently purchased radar detector paid for itself. I was cruising down a favorite section of road that I ride all the time heading to the hills. For some reason the speed drops off from 55 to 35 yet the road does not change, beautiful hilly country road. I believe its because there are a few more houses along that stretch and they have probably complained. I have never seen a LEO on that road yet am always mindful of the speed drop. I find it hard to be doing 60 then having to stay at 35-40 for miles of open road as I am sure we all would.

As you can see from the top photo I was not doing a great job of reducing my speed at 59. I heard the radar detector chirp loud and quick and immediately slowed down. Damn good thing as in a spit second there he was going by. I look in the mirror to see if he was stopping or hitting the brakes, nope so on I go to my usual gas up spot. Earlier I had seen 2 sport bikes stopped at a gas station a few miles back on this same road, we waved etc. as they were gassing up. As I was pulling my helmet off there go the 2 sport bike guys by me heading up the mountain. Man I thought they had to be getting it on pretty hard to have caught me.

Within a minute I look up and here is the cop, rolling down his window. Oh man this ain't good but he says, "Thanks for not riding like a nut and endangering others." Did you see 2 sport bikes go by? I clocked them at 69 in a 35. I clocked you at 43, and am fine with that. When I went back through the video and saw that I was seconds away from a ticket I know I made the right choice having the radar detector. Believe me, I love hitting the twisties hard like many of us do but am normally not speeding on other roads to any great degree. 59 did not seem excessive given the road but it could have been costly if I had not slowed down after hearing that chirp. Anyway in the last couple days I almost got a ticket and hit a fox. They say things come in 3's so I am parking the bike for awhile :D

PhilJet09, jwilly, HotRodZilla and 2 others loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Rt 178?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pmRt 178?
Hello Wheaton, I hope life is good. I was on Rt 288 on my way to 178. Came through Pumpkintown and passed the cop about 5 miles from the 4 corners gas station at 11 and 178. That's where he pulled in and about 2 minutes before that the 2 sport bikes went by then buzzed up 178. Cop was pissed he could not catch them and told me he often nails riders that he passes who stop for gas like I did. First time ever I have seen a cop anywhere in that area but now know they are out there.
Uncle Hud and HotRodZilla loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:40 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pmRt 178?
Hello Wheaton, I hope life is good. I was on Rt 288 on my way to 178. Came through Pumpkintown and passed the cop about 5 miles from the 4 corners gas station at 11 and 178. That's where he pulled in and about 2 minutes before that the 2 sport bikes went by then buzzed up 178. Cop was pissed he could not catch them and told me he often nails riders that he passes who stop for gas like I did. First time ever I have seen a cop anywhere in that area but now know they are out there.
Wow, im on Pumpkintown Rd all the time on the way to 178. Usually deserted...never seen one on that road. Thanks for the heads up!
HotRodZilla, bungie4, and Blueridgerider loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Good reaction on that fox. Really textbook, IMO. Squeeze the brakes hard and head right for the animal. No way he/she stays where you are aiming.

230 miles today for Pants. We rode, we ate, and we returned home to tell about it. Good weather and dry, traffic free, clean roads. I couldn't ask for more.
Blueridgerider, Uncle Hud, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:55 pm G Squeeze the brakes hard and head right for the animal. No way he/she stays where you are aiming.
Yeah, I clipped a squirrel the other day by trying to avoid it. I think it just bounced off the wheel and kept going.
Deer, on the other hand, are totally unpredictable. If I see them in time, I will slow to a crawl - one second they are grazing peacefully and then get spooked. They are as likely to run into you as the other way around.
HotRodZilla and Blueridgerider loved this
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

Unseasonably warm temperatures this week...

I unplugged the battery tender, rolled her off the lift and went for a ride...
499.0 km later she was back in the garage :-)

Last edited by Hack on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PhilJet09, Blueridgerider, bungie4 and 4 others loved this
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

FJRoss wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:57 pm
Hppants wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:55 pm G Squeeze the brakes hard and head right for the animal. No way he/she stays where you are aiming.
Yeah, I clipped a squirrel the other day by trying to avoid it. I think it just bounced off the wheel and kept going.
Deer, on the other hand, are totally unpredictable. If I see them in time, I will slow to a crawl - one second they are grazing peacefully and then get spooked. They are as likely to run into you as the other way around.
And if you see one there is usually another following so be careful not to put all your focus on Bambi #1
Uncle Hud and Red loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Got to put some miles on today. Brother in law (Harley guy) and I did a little RTE. He likes Brew Pubs (knows them all) he used to brew his own beer so we couldn't pass up such great weather. Had a nice little ride a burger and some onion rings. :D
Blueridgerider, wheatonFJR, Hppants and 2 others loved this
Pappy 09AE
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Did about 400ish miles today chasing that crazy fuker Bill Lumberg through North GA, NC and TN.. Great temps, dry clean roads and no performance awards.
gixxerjasen, Blueridgerider, Hppants and 5 others loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

".... Great temps, dry clean roads and no performance awards...."

It kind of has a "mantra" ring to it, no?
HotRodZilla loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Never even rode it today. Rode the sons’ HD fat boy, as it has been over a month since it’s been started. Put fresh fuel in that. As far as my trusty steed, changed the oil and FD fluid. Was distracted and put the FD fill bolt on the drain. Instantly saw what I’d done as soon as the torque wrench clicked. So, lost a little Yamaha unicorn earwax undoing that moment of genius.

Went back and forth between dismantling and servicing the rear brake lever and related stuff, and tending to bigass barbecue ribs smoking and steaming on the grill. Managed not to screw up either job. Rare for me.
Hppants, Blueridgerider, PhilJet09 and 4 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

I let my oldest son take the FJR to work tonight, first time. He works third shift and now it’s getting really dark, early. We have unseasonable warm weather until Tuesday, so the riding days are coming to an end. His bike, an ‘80s vintage enduro has shit for lights and he’s been riding for a few years, so after lots of cautions, off he went. His response when he got to work was, “I can see why this thing has 165,000 miles on it now”.
Bugnatr, John d, LongRanger and 6 others loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

In the past 2 1/2 days, i verified the functionality and effectiveness of both the ABS system and rev limiter.

The deer on OH78 Friday night appreciate the first, and gray ray's Tracer called for the second...
Bugnatr, Hppants, bill lumberg and 6 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Another beautiful day today so I got in another couple of hours of riding with my brother in law (Harley guy). :D
Blueridgerider, Uncle Hud, and PhilJet09 loved this
Pappy 09AE
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Finally washed it from the trip to EOM this year, got out buffer and polished the paint then a coat of wax.
escapefjrtist loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded