What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

danh600 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 pm Came across this today on my FJR ride.
Looked kind of dry, you think it would be at flood stages these days.

Start watching this series right from the beginning to get set up with the characters. Each episode a half hour. Season six is this year and the last one.
https://www.cbc.ca/schittscreek/m_site/
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:44 am
BkerChuck wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:46 am Leaving in about 15 minutes to start visiting Tour of Honor memorials. Hoping DC traffic isn't too miserable.
On Memorial Day weekend when people are itchin to get out of the house???

Yeah, I hope so for your sake as well.
He could have stopped at DC. Ugh.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Replaced clutch fluid. Cycled ABS twice per FSM, replaced F & R brake fluids, cycled ABS twice more.
ice_station_zebra loved this
ericboutin
FJRModel: 2004 Non ABS

Post by ericboutin »

Rode to work!
---------------------------

Thanks Eric

IBA #77838

2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 Non ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk CB 700S
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

DC traffic not as bad as past trips into the city especially for a holiday weekend. Biggest issue is that one of the memorials is on top of a 395 tunnel and is a real bitch to get to. It's one they'd used in the past and I'd been to it before about 3 or 4 years ago. There are 2 tunnels heading southbound and there is a left hand exit right between the 2 tunnels. It is not accessible for the northbound side of 395. Missed it on the first pass through so had to loop around about 4 miles to make another try. Second try got hung out in the right lane and couldn't get over. Third time was the charm but we wasted about 20-25 minutes getting one memorial. 2 of the other 3 memorials required in DC were pretty easy and finding a parking spot went better than expected. Tour of Honor requires your bike be in the photo with the memorial but in places like DC that's not always possible so you need to submit 2 pictures so that's what we had to do. Had to take a break and walk about 1/4-1/2 mile to get to the Viet Nam wall. Glad Rolling Thunder is a thing of the past but we never would have went to DC otherwise. Walking back to the parked bike a rider sitting along the road stopped us after spotting Dianne carrying our Tour of Honor flags and we had a nice chat with him about the event. Scooted across the river to Arlington to get one of the VA memorials while we were that close. Stopped on our way home in Emmitsburg, MD for a memorial at the National Fallen Firefighters memorial site but were turned away. It's federal property and apparently that location is still under lockdown. Thankfully that's only about an hour away so we'll just have to go back later.

Only Dianne's second time out this year but managed over 250 miles and submitted our first 5 memorial visits for the season.
bill lumberg, Niehart, wheatonFJR and 3 others loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

bungie4 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:54 am If i were living in a downtown metro, i wouldn't own a car. Between Uber and public transit.. that being said, a cub with some panniers would probably replace both those options. Good on Honda for realizing what the market probably needs.

What's old is once again new.
I commute on the FJR into midtown ATL. The office has parking, but many other destinations do not. (Or it's paid.) The big girl and I park on the sidewalk a lot, but it can be a challenge every now and then. A lightweight, skinny dirt bike could jump curb and squeeze into almost anywhere. Hmmmmm.

<seeking "On-Topic" points 8-) >

The big girl put on about 500 miles through GA, TN, and NC this weekend; an assortment of riders that are Kelly's friends. Two BMWs, a Triumph, a borrowed Honda 350 dirt bike (about 12 years old), Kelly's FZ-07, and ... this year ... TWO FJRs!

a highlight: US 64/74 westward from Ducktown, then right on TN 30 all the way to Tellico Plains! YeeHaw!
Last edited by Uncle Hud on Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill lumberg, Toter, fontanaman and 2 others loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Uncle Hud wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:57 pm I commute on the FJR into midtown ATL...A lightweight, skinny dirt bike could jump curb and squeeze into almost anywhere. Hmmmmm.
From quite a while ago, Adam jumped a curb with his FJR. Replacing the oil pan was not fun. I think he left the dented pipes on the bike. That kinda came to mind when I read your post. The dirt bike part sounds good though.
Uncle Hud loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran

Post by Uncle Hud »

Yep. Got gouges on the bottom plate (whatever it's called) from inelegantly jumping curb -- going down. Adam should have used the pedestrian/motorcycle ramp to go up. That's why DOT builds 'em, isn't it?
IBA 62517
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

Uncle Hud wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 pm Yep. Got gouges on the bottom plate (whatever it's called) from inelegantly jumping curb -- going down. Adam should have used the pedestrian/motorcycle ramp to go up. That's why DOT builds 'em, isn't it?
Adam was a man of physical stature, any bike he rode was a low rider with the suspension on the stops. His bikes didn't have much ground clearance to start with.

However, Adam had this brother, worked at a distillery in Scotland and sent Adam care packages from the first draw off the pot where the octane rating was unregulated. This may have been a contributing factor in several adventures...
Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I wonder what ever became of Adam. I got to meet him at SFO on Toas.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

bungie4 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm I wonder what ever became of Adam. I got to meet him at SFO on Toas.
Moved to AZ, moved on to a non-Harley cruiser and moved on from the FJR Forums.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Mounted a set of Bridgestone T31 GTs on a friend's FJR today. Thankfully I have learned the proper technique. Tires went on without much trouble. Thrilled I can still do this work despite the usual aches and pains.
Last edited by fontanaman on Tue May 26, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niehart and ice_station_zebra loved this
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Got out for a ride today. Pretty mundane roads here, but the pop up storms made for a good adventure.

We rode about 100 miles. Just over 2 hours. The plan was to try and call in to the good local Mexican place near the end of the ride. Pick it up and head home. Wifey couldn’t get them to answer. We drove by and it was closed. Lol. We made quesadillas at home anyway. It was decent. Only grill pics. Image
The food didn’t last long enough for a put together photo. There is more in that can than it appears. JSNS.

The FJR is running like a top with the exception of the front tire. It is due to be replaced. Seems fine on the flat roads, but when we lean it over, it feels kinda choppy and rough. Not very confidence inspiring with a passenger. We leaned it over a couple times today and it doesn’t feel right. I guess it doesn’t help if she is a little jumpy and doesn’t lean uniformly ever time. I keep trying to get her to just press her chest into me. She thinks I am just saying that for fun. Maybe I am, but I will know right where she is that way. Anyway, I got a new front tire in the garage for the trip to Red Lodge and Beyond. Prob time to get it mounted up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueridgerider, Niehart, Hppants and 3 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Uncle Hud
Veteran

Post by Uncle Hud »

Cav47 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:22 pm
<snip>

I keep trying to get her to just press her chest into me. She thinks I am just saying that for fun. Maybe I am, but I will know right where she is that way.
First and second motorbike, my girlfriend did just that. Her arms were tight around my waist, torsos glued together. She learned to lean into curves and became a confident pillion. We could chat without the need for intercoms!

Made a bad mistake by installing a sissy bar. While she continued to lean, her arms vanished from around my waist and our closeness vanished with them.
bigjohnsd and Cav47 loved this
IBA 62517
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

The first time I took my wife for a ride on a motorcycle (one of my old nighthawks), she was pretty scared:

(Pants) "Ok mama, just hold my waist. You can lean back against the sissy bar if you like. When we get to the turns, I'm going to shift my body noticeably with the turn. You have two choices. You can either lean with me, or you can just stay neutral. But whatever you do, don't lean against me, or we are not going to be able to turn the motorcycle. We are going to go real slow, so don't worry about it.

(Wifey) (gulp) "OK"

We mount up and get exactly two blocks from the house. I come to a complete stop and turn the motor off.

(Wifey) "What's wrong?"

(Pants) "Mama, you can't hold my waist that tight. You're cutting my circulation off. Just relax, it will be Ok."

The truth is, she never really learned to relax. We've been on quite a few rides, but I can always tell she is not 100% comfortable. She has her gear, and maybe one day she'll ride with me. But I doubt it. She just doesn't like it. And on this activity, if you are not having fun, you absolutely should not do it.
bigjohnsd, morecowbell, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

My wife has ridden horses all her life and graduated from Fulmer School of Equitation in England where she was trained by Robert Hall. She also had a scooter which she rode everyplace. Consequently, she took to motorcycles immediately and she was a perfect passenger in terms of balance, and sitting in a neutral position. By now she is getting close to having 500,000 miles as a passenger with me.

When my second Honda VF1100 was approaching 100k miles we needed a replacement motorcycle so we went out shopping together. We looked at and test rode a lot of bikes. I was very interested in the FJR but it was 2003 when Yamaha had the funky PDP pre-order system so there were none to look at or test sit. One day we just happened to be going past a Yamaha dealer so I stopped in, completely unplanned. Low and behold -- there was a FJR on the showroom floor. Just minutes before they had finished building the bike and the new owner was coming to pick it up in a couple of hours, we hit the time window perfect. My wife says to give the nice man a non refundable $500 deposit and order one for us. Between my '04 and my '15 we have about 150k smiles on the FJRs.
bigjohnsd, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

My wife will not get on the back of my bike. She has never been on the FJR as a rider or passenger.

We dropped a bike off at the shop one time. She jumped on the back of my cruiser. We went about 3 miles down the road to have breakfast. 3 miles back to the dealer. She said never again!

And she has kept her word. 100,000s of miles later we ride together on separate bikes. :D
Cav47 and Niehart loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Went to the dealer today. They removed the check engine light for the princely sum of $0.00, as in free. As expected the light stayed off too so there was a big silver lining in my day.

Sitting in the car waiting for my first haircut since I don't know when. Will leave a very good tip. I wouldn't want Bust to confuse me with a sheep.😁
Last edited by fontanaman on Tue May 26, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Hud, escapefjrtist, and wheatonFJR loved this
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

fontanaman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:42 pm Went to the dealer today. The removed the check engine light for the princely sum of $0.00, as in free. As expected the light stayed off too so there was a big silver lining in my day.

Sitting in the car waiting for my first haircut since I don't know when. Will leave a very good tip.

CNN HEADLINE:

Sasquatch sighted waiting outside a quick clips in suburban Spokane Washington

Same here Jim, my helmet was way too snug yesterday and I kept trying to open the vents rust were already open. It’s hot with all this mop going.
fontanaman loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Krista at The Regal Barber does my hair. She is good and I get a consistent cut for a fair price. I can make appointments on line. Nice.