What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bungie4 »

All tires must die.
wheatonFJR and HotRodZilla loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Rode 960 miles home today. I know I still suck at riding and life..
Hppants, wheatonFJR, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
Dshane
Squid
FJRModel: 2018 FJR 1300A

Post by Dshane »

Did my first TBS on my '18. The part that made it longer than it should have was removing the Helbar as the tank could not clear it, but once that was loosed I could move it aside to let the tank raise up. My master was number 2 (counting from the left). The only screw that had paint on it. I only had to adjust number 4 a slight bit. I had been noticing more handlebar vibration than normal, will take for longer ride today to see if it worked. She only has 6000 miles.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

danh600 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:46 pm
rbentnail wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm Let me preface this by saying that I was good with the factory seat. As I had more and more pain in my left leg I used a Corbin with some success. I finally had a hip replaced and went back to the factory seat and now a Yamaha Comfort seat. Thi works well for me. Multiple 300-400 mile days are a joy.

Yesterday I swapped out my Comfort seat with a Sargent World Sport. Got a long ride day tomorrow so we'll see but first impression- it's shaped a lot like a Corbin, bucket like. Know what I mean? But with significantly more padding than a Corbin. So I'm gonna chance it and ride with it tomorrow and hopefully I won't regret it and the end of the day.
I was just posting about this in another thread. Corbin seats have a perfect shape, but just need a little more padding.
Got the ride, about 370 miles of central Virginia back roads and hwy to & from. Good all-round mix of riding types. The Sargent is not a disappointment. Took a little while to get used to the different bucket-style position (like the Corbin) b/c it places me a little further from the handle bars but overall this seat is better than that. It has a bit more padding in the right places, the butt cheeks, that the Corbin does not butt (a pun!) I think I'll look into getting maybe 1/2" more added. Also- the Sargent Sport is narrow enough in the front AND can be used in the high position, something that can't be done with the Corbin, making for a more comfortable ride for my fake left hip. The biggest advantage from this seat is the removal of pressure form the backs of my thighs. I'm not a big guy so even with handle bar pullback and risers I still often get tired in the thighs and hips from the lean forward position from reaching. Kinda hard to explain but picture a factory seat in low position vs. a Corbin seat in the high one. Big diff on the hips.

Definitely a keeper for me!
Uncle Hud, danh600, and wheatonFJR loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

jwilly wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 pm Rode 960 miles home today. I know I still suck at riding and life..
Could go for the extra 40 huh.
jwilly and HotRodZilla loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bungie4 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 am
jwilly wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 pm Rode 960 miles home today. I know I still suck at riding and life..
Could go for the extra 40 huh.
Im sure he's already got that patch on his orange and black leather vest.
bungie4, Uncle Hud, jwilly and 1 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

What pushed me finally was Nomar has an eBay store and they offered the basic model there for $50 less than on their website. A phone call got them to match that buying direct. This made the shipping free if you think about it. A pneumatic machine would be nice but that def exceeded my budget and my available floor space. Anyone on the fence about buying might want to give them a call and see what deal you can make. Anxious now for it to arrive. Of course any of you travelling close to me will be welcome to stop by and use it if needed.
wheatonFJR, HotRodZilla, and Cav47 loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

BkerChuck wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:40 am What pushed me finally was Nomar has an eBay store and they offered the basic model there for $50 less than on their website. A phone call got them to match that buying direct. This made the shipping free if you think about it. A pneumatic machine would be nice but that def exceeded my budget and my available floor space. Anyone on the fence about buying might want to give them a call and see what deal you can make. Anxious now for it to arrive. Of course any of you travelling close to me will be welcome to stop by and use it if needed.
I picked up my NoMar second hand. In looking to purchase the hitch mount, the shipping was going to be horrendous. I had a thought and contacted them. I asked if I could buy the mount, and forgo the shipping if they could toss it on their truck as they were going to be at the local motorcycle show in a few weeks that I planned on attending. They happily agreed. I picked that and some of their grease from them at their booth and became one of the few folks lugging a giant box out of the motorcycle show. Great folks to work with.
Hppants, wheatonFJR, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

HotRodZilla wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:37 pm Kevin did Jason, Marty and me in. I'm gonna have a pneumatic changer sooner than later. Hell, I even got the wife's approval last night. My NoMar is gonna go the way of the covered wagon.
Which one are you buying?
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Bugnatr wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:47 pm
HotRodZilla wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:37 pm Kevin did Jason, Marty and me in. I'm gonna have a pneumatic changer sooner than later. Hell, I even got the wife's approval last night. My NoMar is gonna go the way of the covered wagon.
Which one are you buying?
A Weaver like Pterodactyl has. That thing is awesome and perfect for what I need. I bet I can do my dirt bike tires on it too and get rid of the little stand I currently use.
wheatonFJR and 0face loved this
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

NTXFJR, HotRodZilla, and wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Removed the rear Canyon Cages from my FJR. They take up about 2 inches were my wife's legs should be. I may sell them and replace with frame sliders. Anybody have recommendations on frame sliders. At first glance on Revzilla frame sliders for the FJR fall in the unobtainum bucket.
Cav47 loved this
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

One of those Weaver's would look real sexy next to the lift at my shop. :lol:
wheatonFJR and HotRodZilla loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

fontanaman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:22 pm Removed the rear Canyon Cages from my FJR. They take up about 2 inches were my wife's legs should be. I may sell them and replace with frame sliders. Anybody have recommendations on frame sliders. At first glance on Revzilla frame sliders for the FJR fall in the unobtainum bucket.
Similar to OE Yamaha and if money were no object, I'd have a set of http://www.whaccessories.com/Yamaha-Sli ... 0-2013.htm from Wild Hair Accessories. Don't know if they're available stock or not. Used WHA a couple times and parts had to be ordered in both times.

~G
fontanaman loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

fontanaman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:22 pm Removed the rear Canyon Cages from my FJR. They take up about 2 inches were my wife's legs should be. I may sell them and replace with frame sliders. Anybody have recommendations on frame sliders. At first glance on Revzilla frame sliders for the FJR fall in the unobtainum bucket.
T-Rex rears much more betterer.... those are my size 13 Bates tactical boots.

There was a set of sliders I had on my '07 from Luxemburg (they came in 4 days OMG), they have a stainless 1/4" steel plate to mount the rather long slider on, plate was affixed to footpeg stay two places and went to rear muffler mount.... tested them in a coupla tipovers, held up really well... stick out far enough that bags or exhaust will not touch the ground in a tipover. Nice clean look, not sure how they'd hold up in a crash, but likely not too awful. Of course you'll order the black ones..... If you get interested I have a couple of pics of my install but no view of perspective with saddlebags...

https://www.bike-design.com/en-gb/produ ... ection-kit
wheatonFJR and fontanaman loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:28 pm Wheaton- Need expert advice. This is my front tire from five minutes ago. Good for one day or two days of Appalachia?
My only advice, there is 2-300 miles more left when the metal starts showing, and there's always duct tape to extend that. Appalachia, well, if ya just stuck to the Blue Ridge maybe, kep the pressures up and not hafta lean over too much.....
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

Mine is the W-M807X model, without the Power Assist Arm.

HotRodZilla and bill lumberg loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:25 pm
T-Rex rears much more betterer.... those are my size 13 Bates tactical boots.

There was a set of sliders I had on my '07 from Luxemburg (they came in 4 days OMG), they have a stainless 1/4" steel plate to mount the rather long slider on, plate was affixed to footpeg stay two places and went to rear muffler mount.... tested them in a coupla tipovers, held up really well... stick out far enough that bags or exhaust will not touch the ground in a tipover. Nice clean look, not sure how they'd hold up in a crash, but likely not too awful. Of course you'll order the black ones..... If you get interested I have a couple of pics of my install but no view of perspective with saddlebags...

https://www.bike-design.com/en-gb/produ ... ection-kit
Oh, oh, oh....I got this.

Just fine. Better in a crash than the ones yer gettin rid of. Don't ask how I know.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

You might THINK you got it...... some idjit fergot to lock his pannier on.... that is all. He's been reprimanded.
Well, to make it worse, that was a brang new saddlebag lid replaced as a result of a previous crash. The reprimand was severe. That piece of 2x4 is a cutoff of the larger one he was beaten with.
Niehart loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

fontanaman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:22 pm Removed the rear Canyon Cages from my FJR. They take up about 2 inches were my wife's legs should be. I may sell them and replace with frame sliders...
I have T-Rex bars on my '15 and I have peg lowering brackets for pillion which moves her feet forward and down giving her more room. The rear pegs are shown in this picture wearing blind squirrel's floorboards. T-Rex bars and lowering brackets -- good. Lowering bracket and floorboards -- not so good. I will PM more pixs of the problem to bs, we discussed the fit issue last August. I took pixs but never got around to sending them to him. Anyhoo, I recommend the peg lowering brackets if you can find them, it solves the space issue.