What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by John d »

Red wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:23 am
NTXFJR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:09 pm
Red wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:12 pmNTXFJR,
I have a few questions about this mod, if you don't mind. :) All I see are the spade terminals. No wire cutting? Thanks
You are correct in that there are only spade lugs on this thing. Smart Turn includes wire tap connectors that the spades plug into. I had entered this project by thinking I was prepared by getting a connector set so that I could make up a custom harness and just plug and play the thing into the factory harness. No luck, the connector I got was wrong, and against my better judgement, I went ahead and used their wire tap connectors to get the job done. Unfortunately imo, wire cutting was involved. I have a pic of the unit and the location where it's installed. Let me know and I can post it up.
NTXFJR,

Thanks for that fine response. I have a Gen2 (2008), so I'm not sure a picture would help me, but sure, if you have that. What connector did you want to add your mod-harness into? The one that comes from the turn signal switches? Would the right connector-set have avoided the need to cut the factory wiring? I would want to add a mod-harness to my installation.
Check this thread.out. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2378&p=33331&hilit=sts+turn#p33331
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

I rode it home!!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wheatonFJR and Hppants loved this
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

John d wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 am
NTXFJR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:09 pmYou are correct in that there are only spade lugs on this thing. Smart Turn includes wire tap connectors that the spades plug into. I had entered this project by thinking I was prepared by getting a connector set so that I could make up a custom harness and just plug and play the thing into the factory harness. No luck, the connector I got was wrong, and against my better judgement, I went ahead and used their wire tap connectors to get the job done. Unfortunately imo, wire cutting was involved. I have a pic of the unit and the location where it's installed. Let me know and I can post it up.
NTXFJR,

Thanks for that fine response. I have a Gen2 (2008), so I'm not sure a picture would help me, but sure, if you have that. What connector did you want to add your mod-harness into? The one that comes from the turn signal switches? Would the right connector-set have avoided the need to cut the factory wiring? I would want to add a mod-harness to my installation.
Check this thread.out. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2378&p=33331&hilit=sts+turn#p33331
Aha, a Gen3 guinea pig. Haven't installed mine yet, but I have ridden behind Johnd and DesignFlaw.... they seem to work well. NTXFJR has just saved me some work..... As I understand it, there is a 10-way and 8-way connector, signal wiring is in the 10-way. Question is, are all the necessary wires for the install contained in the 10-way..... if so, next where to buy that connector. Guess we should post up in the proper thread..... will do now.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

NTXFJR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:09 pm
Red wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:12 pmNTXFJR,
I have a few questions about this mod, if you don't mind. :) All I see are the spade terminals. No wire cutting? Thanks
You are correct in that there are only spade lugs on this thing. Smart Turn includes wire tap connectors that the spades plug into. I had entered this project by thinking I was prepared by getting a connector set so that I could make up a custom harness and just plug and play the thing into the factory harness. No luck, the connector I got was wrong, and against my better judgement, I went ahead and used their wire tap connectors to get the job done. Unfortunately imo, wire cutting was involved. I have a pic of the unit and the location where it's installed. Let me know and I can post it up.
NTXFJR,

Yes, the correct matching connector set allows for a no cut install, basically you disconnect the left control pod connector, and insert a pre made custom harness in between. It's the best way to do it imo, and it definitely is possible with the right components. I got caught unprepared with my pants down yesterday.
Talk to DesignFlaw (Tim), I'm thinking he has a Gen II also and already knows what connectors to use, I know they are different on a Gen III. Iirc he successfully made his own harness for a plug and play install.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

Got my Kristas on in time to do a crazy BMR ride with Hud and playinatwork. Lights came in handy in West Virginia last weekend to see the black ice I was about to hit at 4 in the morning. :shock:
NTXFJR, Uncle Hud, BkerChuck and 1 others loved this
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

I rode mine to work. Again.

Since it is supposed to be raining for the second half of the day I carried my rain pants to my office.

Didn't feel like driving the truck because the trailer with the BMW R1150R is hooked to it. There is something wrong with having a motorcycle on a trailer but since it won't run I have no choice.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Red wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:23 amThanks for that fine response. I have a Gen2 (2008), so I'm not sure a picture would help me, but sure, if you have that. What connector did you want to add your mod-harness into? The one that comes from the turn signal switches? Would the right connector-set have avoided the need to cut the factory wiring? I would want to add a mod-harness to my installation.
Hey red! I was thinking- instead of cutting into the factory wiring you could get one of Admore's Plug-N-Play rear lighting harnesses and cut into that instead. https://www.admorelighting.com/product/a-fjr2/ I used one of these for additional rear lighting and it really is as they say- unplug factory connector & plug this in. Easy peasy!
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 pm
Red wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:23 amWhat connector did you want to add your mod-harness into? The one that comes from the turn signal switches? I would want to add a mod-harness to my installation.
Hey red! I was thinking- instead of cutting into the factory wiring you could get one of Admore's Plug-N-Play rear lighting harnesses and cut into that instead. https://www.admorelighting.com/product/a-fjr2/ I used one of these for additional rear lighting and it really is as they say- unplug factory connector & plug this in. Easy peasy!
rbentnail,

Thanks. Not sure that Admore connector has enough pins, though. Anyway, too late, I ordered up the right connectors (they were cheap!), and I will build a mod-harness for mine like DesignFlaw did. Definitely the right way to go, no doubt. Check his work:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2378&p=33331&hilit=sts+turn#p33332
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

I took off the triple tree and replaced the bracket that holds the bar bolts in which was discarded when the PO put on helibars risers.

Shipped the risers.

Took off the mirror extenders.

Rode it a bit. Smiled a bit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
thompsonian
FJRModel: 2015

Post by thompsonian »

I dropped some coin today on an SR357 rack and scored a well used Givi Maxia E52 off the FleaBay. Needs some minor patchwork, but it will serve its functional purpose for now.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

thompsonian wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:25 pm I dropped some coin today on an SR357 rack and scored a well used Givi Maxia E52 off the FleaBay. Needs some minor patchwork, but it will serve its functional purpose for now.
You might have been able to get a brand new trunk, and the SR357 rack for nearly the same price, from www.motostorm.it

https://www.motostorm.it/en/search.html ... rrency=USD

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories ... 56nnt.html
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

thompsonian wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:25 pm I dropped some coin today on an SR357 rack and scored a well used Givi Maxia E52 off the FleaBay. Needs some minor patchwork, but it will serve its functional purpose for now.
Beer wagon at the Ramble with that E52!
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
thompsonian

Post by thompsonian »

El Toro Joe wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:38 pm
You might have been able to get a brand new trunk, and the SR357 rack for nearly the same price, from www.motostorm.it

I paid 2x as much for the SR357 as I did for the case.....
thompsonian

Post by thompsonian »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 pm
Beer wagon at the Ramble with that E52!
That's a distinct possibility.....
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

I know this is not necessarily the place for this and no one hates good info after you already sent the money.......but Alex at Realtime Industries or BHMOTO is so good about items like this. And he is a FJR guy. I recently bought a bunch of accessories for my new 15 and his prices and service is the best I could ever hope for.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

thompsonian

Post by thompsonian »

Cav47 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:14 pm

I know this is not necessarily the place for this and no one hates good info after you already sent the money.......but Alex at Realtime Industries or BHMOTO is so good about items like this. And he is a FJR guy. I recently bought a bunch of accessories for my new 15 and his prices and service is the best I could ever hope for.
Live and learn I suppose....no one ever claimed me to be the brightest crayon in the tool shed
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Not your fault.......this time. Trust me, I have made some doozies.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Cav47 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:30 pm Not your fault.......this time. Trust me, I have made some doozies.
That's because you suck. Just sayin'

I have dealt with Alex for several sets of those wonderful reflective decals for the back of the FJR saddlebags. That is IMO the best modification for the money we can do. They cost next to nothing, they weigh nothing, they require no power, they don't detract from the good looks of the bike and they are a NO FAIL safety feature.
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Put some new shoes under her and wired up a new Garmin 660 in prep for a trip to Charleston, Smokey Mtns, and Harrison. By the looks of it, will likely get a chance to try out the heated gear Santa brought.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Cav47 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:14 pm

No doubt Alex has some great deals, I got my Klim Badlands Pro jacket from him...he had the best closeout price. I also just got a Givi windshield from him, saved $50 on that. But when it comes to a deal like the pricing from Motostorm.it nobody can come close.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"