What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote:"What will I do to my FJR tomorrow?"

Meet griff at New Northside and the Perimeter for a few miles Saturday and a trip to Nashville and back on Sunday. Spotwalla track is here (https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... dc89ecd6f5) and should start around 1400 Saturday.

(Can someone explain how to put hyperlinks into my posts, please? I see that it's possible, but haven't been able to discover how.)
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... dc89ecd6f5

[url]https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... dc89ecd6f5[/url

^^ I left the last bracket off so you could see the code. If you press the URL button, it will give you the beginning and ending code that you past your link in between.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Sure, got that; but the url brackets don't allow me to put "here" as the text, with the URL as an underlying, hidden element. As in "Click here for Spotwalla link," and actually have the clicky thing work.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote:Sure, got that; but the url brackets don't allow me to put "here" as the text, with the URL as an underlying, hidden element. As in "Click here for Spotwalla link," and actually have the clicky thing work.
When I click on the link, it works...so I'm not sure what yer askin. What I've given is all I know about it.

You might want to go to the "Test Section" and try stuff down there.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Uncle Hud wrote:Sure, got that; but the url brackets don't allow me to put "here" as the text, with the URL as an underlying, hidden element. As in "Click here for Spotwalla link," and actually have the clicky thing work.
Maybe this will help?

Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Uncle Hud
Veteran

Post by Uncle Hud »

Thanks, guys; I think I've got it now. If not, this last wrinkle has nothing to do with my FJR, so I'll take it off line.
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Rode in them thar hills.

Paid attention, thus arrived home safe.
Uncle Hud
Veteran

Post by Uncle Hud »

Rode it with Griff for 24.46 BMR points. Took a pic of the wrong side of the Tennessee Titans stadium and was denied 3.15 points, however.

Didn't pay attention, and it cost us, but both of us arrived home safe anyway. (<--- See what I did there?)
IBA 62517
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode it to work again. Noticed just how worn my front tire is getting, starting to hit the wear bars in a couple spots. I knew I'd soon be due for tires so I just ordered a fresh pair of PR2's which should arrive later this week. Day 280 consecutive riding, only 85 more to go for my first ever "perfect year".
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote:Rode it with Griff for 24.46 BMR points. Took a pic of the wrong side of the Tennessee Titans stadium and was denied 3.15 points, however.

Didn't pay attention, and it cost us, but both of us arrived home safe anyway. (<--- See what I did there?)
No. Please explain.
Uncle Hud
Veteran

Post by Uncle Hud »

Oh ye of simple mind ....
IBA 62517
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

BkerChuck wrote:Rode it to work again. Day 280 consecutive riding, only 85 more to go for my first ever "perfect year".
Impressive! :shock:
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Didn't pay attention and it cost us. Cute. I am so broke right now I can't afford to pay attention.

I rode mine to work today. I was terrified because we had a cold front blow through last night and the forecast was for 49 F this morning. Thank Goodness it only got down to 59. I still had to turn up the grip heaters to medium. BRRR!
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Put mine back in hibernation, so I could get the car in the garage...I didn't want to have to scrape the ice a snow off the windshield this morning.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Mounted a new pair of PR2's, checked runout on my rear rotor since the caliper had hung up. Determined rear rotor is warped and will be ordering a replacement. Day 285 consecutive riding.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Installed one of these today. Took it around the block and it seems to work great so far. This may not be the best mod for utility that I've installed, but is my favorite one so far.

Also installed one of these digital voltmeters over my gauges. I stole Ray's pic because I didn't take one, but mounted it just about like he has his.

Also installed one of these powerlet connectors for my heated gear.

We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

NTXFJR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:09 pm Installed one of these today. Took it around the block and it seems to work great so far. This may not be the best mod for utility that I've installed, but is my favorite one so far.
www.safer-turn.com
NTXFJR,

I have a few questions about this mod, if you don't mind. :)

What was the final price, with shipping, tax, whatever?

How difficult was the installation? All I see are the spade terminals. No wire cutting? Do you modify the handlebar switch?

How long do they flash the turn signals, when you are not moving or leaning?

Thanks
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Put a new PR2 on the front, and changed the oil. This afternoon, took a short ride with a couple friends to scrub in the tire and make sure the bike is ready for my next adventure, which is in 2 weeks.

I'm pleased to report that the bike (and its rider) are good to go!!
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Red wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:12 pm
NTXFJR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:09 pm Installed one of these today. Took it around the block and it seems to work great so far. This may not be the best mod for utility that I've installed, but is my favorite one so far.
www.safer-turn.com
NTXFJR,

I have a few questions about this mod, if you don't mind. :)

What was the final price, with shipping, tax, whatever?

How difficult was the installation? All I see are the spade terminals. No wire cutting? Do you modify the handlebar switch?

How long do they flash the turn signals, when you are not moving or leaning?

Thanks
I got mine last year when they offered introductory pricing. I believe they are going for around 149 euro now.

Installation wasn't really that hard. I'd say it took me as long to get all the blasted tupperware off as it did to actually mount and wire the thing up. In the end, for a Gen III, all the necessary wiring can be accessed by pulling the windshield and black nose cone trim piece under it, that's where the left control pod connector is located, it's just behind (in front of) the gauges. I could have saved some serious time if I'd known then what I know now.

You are correct in that there are only spade lugs on this thing. Smart Turn includes wire tap connectors that the spades plug into. I had entered this project by thinking I was prepared by getting a connector set so that I could make up a custom harness and just plug and play the thing into the factory harness. No luck, the connector I got was wrong, and against my better judgement, I went ahead and used their wire tap connectors to get the job done. Unfortunately imo, wire cutting was involved.

There is a small mod that has to to be done to the left control pod turn signal switch, it's pretty easy and consists of installing a couple of small foam discs so that the switch bail assembly centers back up on it's own.

I can't really give a definite answer on the timing at this point as I don't have much time with it yet. I had read the manufacturer's write up before buying, it seems to consist of a mathematical calculation using a combination of lean angle sensing and vibration speed sensing. I noticed that there is a difference when negotiating a turn and accelerating, the thing will cancel fairly soon, like within seconds. If for instance changing lanes on the interstate, the couple of times I tried it, the thing will still cancel but not quite as quickly. If just sitting still such as at a light, the turn signal won't cancel, It just keeps flashing unless you turn it off. Switching opposite direction will turn on the other turn signal, switching the same side twice will cancel the signal. So far the thing does exactly what I'd hoped it would do, I had this feature oem factory on my old V65 Sabre and got very spoiled with it.

I have a pic of the unit and the location where it's installed. Let me know and I can post it up.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Replaced the scratched parts from the tip over.
Installed the security mount for the GPS.
Searched again for the volt meter, WTF?

Sunday I have to wire the top box lights for my buddy's Street Glide that's going to Daytona with me.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

NTXFJR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:09 pm
Red wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:12 pm
NTXFJR wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:09 pmInstalled one of these today. Took it around the block and it seems to work great so far. This may not be the best mod for utility that I've installed, but is my favorite one so far.
www.safer-turn.com
NTXFJR,
I have a few questions about this mod, if you don't mind. :) All I see are the spade terminals. No wire cutting? Thanks
You are correct in that there are only spade lugs on this thing. Smart Turn includes wire tap connectors that the spades plug into. I had entered this project by thinking I was prepared by getting a connector set so that I could make up a custom harness and just plug and play the thing into the factory harness. No luck, the connector I got was wrong, and against my better judgement, I went ahead and used their wire tap connectors to get the job done. Unfortunately imo, wire cutting was involved. I have a pic of the unit and the location where it's installed. Let me know and I can post it up.
NTXFJR,

Thanks for that fine response. I have a Gen2 (2008), so I'm not sure a picture would help me, but sure, if you have that. What connector did you want to add your mod-harness into? The one that comes from the turn signal switches? Would the right connector-set have avoided the need to cut the factory wiring? I would want to add a mod-harness to my installation.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.