What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wpbfjr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 manual shift

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wpbfjr »

rode....got state inspection...did the ton on the slab...ran errands...wore new firstgear overpants...

Sent from my TRS-80
signature lost in the mail...
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Re: RE: Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Cav47 »

HotRodZilla wrote:
Cav47 wrote:
0face wrote:
He does that several times a day...
I did not torque it once

Nor did I do it several times

Prob should read what that torque spec is in the FSM.
Dude, it's an oil drain bolt, so the torque spec will be FUBAR. If you use the crush washer, go until the washer crushes. If not, goodntite should do it. Don't lose your mind either way, and you should be fine.
Today I went over to the neighbors house. He has a torque wrench that he let me borrow.

I will have you know that both the oil drain bolt and filler are precisely torqued to 17ft/lbs --per the FSM.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Doesn't the manual call for some ridiculous torque on the drain bolt? Like 35lbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by HotRodZilla »

Cav47 wrote:
HotRodZilla wrote:
Cav47 wrote:
I did not torque it once

Nor did I do it several times

Prob should read what that torque spec is in the FSM.
Dude, it's an oil drain bolt, so the torque spec will be FUBAR. If you use the crush washer, go until the washer crushes. If not, goodntite should do it. Don't lose your mind either way, and you should be fine.
Today I went over to the neighbors house. He has a torque wrench that he let me borrow.

I will have you know that both the oil drain bolt and filler are precisely torqued to 17ft/lbs --per the FSM.
Right. Except that with oil on the threads, that 17 ft/lbs may be more like 25. Due to the lube on he threads, what the wrench thinks is 17 is actually higher. If you're going to continue using a torque wrench on oil drain bolts, you should probably get familiar with time-serts. You're going to need one.

It's an oil drain bolt, not rocket science.
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Additionally, today I fixed the gas cap assembly. Finished the aiming of the LEDs on Halle.

Just waiting on a 357 Rack from Alex at Real Time Industries. Also on the way from him is a Givi V46 and a sweet tank bag from Nelson Rigg.

I have always heard he was awesome from other forum members. I recently met him at the Chicago IMS & I will be contacting him for everything FJR from now on.
Niehart loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Cav47 wrote:Additionally, today I fixed the gas cap assembly. Finished the aiming of the LEDs on Halle.

Just waiting on a 357 Rack from Alex at Real Time Industries. Also on the way from him is a Givi V46 and a sweet tank bag from Nelson Rigg.

I have always heard he was awesome from other forum members. I recently met him at the Chicago IMS & I will be contacting him for everything FJR from now on.
Alex is also one of the largest KLIM dealers. I was at his place last year he's a cool guy. He's a dealers for a lot of stuff it's generally worth a call to see what he can do on a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Zilla, don't make my brain hurt anymore today. I used a torque wrench, anything else is beyond what I want to know at this time.

I really want to know how much power can I get to some lights that I want to hang from under the mirrors. I saw some 5500 lumen LEDs but they are too big. 6 inches square including the brackets.

There is a nice small 3x3 inch ones that put out 1750 lumens each that would be decent. Just not sure how much power draw I should be messing with. I want to be able to only use these at full power while using my brights.

Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Cav, you would find it nearly impossible to install LEDs that draw enough current to overload the FJR's alternator. The old Halogens could but not the LEDs.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Cav, if you're gonna start powering lots of stuff and are condoned about draw, install a Datel Meter. It will show you your voltage, so you'll know if you push too far. With LEDs, I'm thinking you'd have to go crazy to over draw the stator. One of these guys will know the answer. I don't remember the actual output.
tominca
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 ABS

Post by tominca »

Well there were 4 good runs at the Keystone Raceway Park (no timing gear or other participants, I had the track alone and GPS shows 111 mph).

And then rode the curvy roads to Conemaugh reservoir on a beautiful day.

I think February is fine so far.
It's a good day to ride
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Tom, that looks like an interesting time! Not sure what the point would be for those strip runs. Other than the pure joy of hammering a fast run! lol. Good on you.

Andrew and Zilla. Thanks for the info. I am still just whistling Dixie about it, not really sure what I want to do. But would like to see what options are out there. Good to know I would have to go crazy to overload it.

I also reorganized the stuff under the seat--since I currently don't have a tank bag, I wonder where I am gonna put all this stuff when I go riding on Saturday. I looked at an alternative GPS placement. Then I moved it back cause I didn't like it.

Today has been productive for sure. I doubt the wife would agree, but Halle thinks so.

tominca
Veteran

Post by tominca »

Cav47 wrote:Tom, that looks like an interesting time! Not sure what the point would be for those strip runs. Other than the pure joy of hammering a fast run! lol. Good on you.
This was a gift. It was there, the door was open, I rode in and did it.

Who among us would turn around and not pin the throttle?
It's a good day to ride
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Josh you would be hard pressed to overload anything with LED's. You'll have power left over for heated gear, but it's always a good idea to put a voltmeter on so you can monitor. I used one of these Chinese ones which are bright and have USB charging ports as well. It's on a homemade bracket screwed on the back of the instrument panel.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/302142741661?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by raYzerman on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I have my radar detector set to display battery voltage. I think what I am reading is not entirely accurate, due to a small loss between the battery/Fuze-block and the Fuse-block/radar Detector. But the error is in the right direction. When I run my heated gear, high beams, aux. LED lights, at idle, the display will occasionally go to 13.9. But past 2000 rpm, it is always at 14.1 or higher. The Gen III has a very generous stator.

Tom - I certainly would not pass up an opportunity to rip it down the strip. That is most assuredly still on my bucket list. So far I've found it too expensive. Our local track (90 miles away) has weekend races - bike entry fee is no less than $50.00. On most Wednesdays, you can "test-n-tune" for I believe $20.00, which is affordable to me, but its 90 miles away and I'd have to ride home through the swamp in the dark, where and when the critters come out to play.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

tominca wrote:
Cav47 wrote:Tom, that looks like an interesting time! Not sure what the point would be for those strip runs. Other than the pure joy of hammering a fast run! lol. Good on you.
This was a gift. It was there, the door was open, I rode in and did it. Who among us would turn around and not pin the throttle?
Tominca,

With at least one other person there with cellphone coverage, to call for help if necessary, okay, I'm in. Looks like fun!

All by my lonesome? I dunno . . . :shock:

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
tominca
Veteran

Post by tominca »

Red, there were a couple pickup trucks by the office and someone was arriving as I left. I have a feeling if I screwed up, it wouldn't take long to be seen. I think the gate was left open inadvertently, and I got a free pass...funny lookin old guy in a fluorescent jacket on a bike with touring bags. I can almost hear the guys in the office, "hey, check this out".
It's a good day to ride
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Ordered one of those volt meters like Ray has on his dash. Thanks Ray!
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
tominca
Veteran

Post by tominca »

Cav47 wrote:Tom, that looks like an interestinhttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-02/7B712941-0C0C-47C6-AE74-12674281FC2E.jpgg time! Not sure what the point would be for those strip runs. Other than the pure joy of hammering a fast run! lol. Good on you.
I went back for seconds. First a nice leisurely ride in the country to visit a covered bridge.

Leaving this place I found myself on unpaved muddy roads. Really worried about pulling a Brandon in that slick slop. But survived and found better pavement. I returned to the Drag strip and ripped another 3 runs, for no good reason at all other than it was there. At least this time, I left the bags behind.

My 190/55=17 tires can't hold traction here. You can see how skinny the burnouts look. The one in the center was a fail and I had to pull out as the skid got off-line. The lighter one to the left and one on the far right are recognizable because they are so thin, but they were faster. No traction control on a superior Gen I and you can burn rubber or lift the front end to your heart's content.

And the return trip behind the stands is almost scenic as the adrenaline settles.

It's a good day to ride
tominca
Veteran

Post by tominca »

I'm changing tires tomorrow.
It's a good day to ride
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Good on you Tom

Went out for a little 55 mile ride today. Just a put put kind of ride. It was almost 70 degrees here, but lots of places still have sand in the corners.

I might have ran a few interstate exchanges a few times. I am amazed at how poised and secure the suspension is. Even with a passenger.

Currently washing the bike in the garage. With the door open. I love global warming!!