What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by ionbeam »

Walked past my FJR again this morning on my way to work. It was -4°F. If my battery's state of charge is low, it's frozen, if it's not frozen, it's not low. Hopefully it will be warm enough by this weekend to put the trickle charger on it.

An oddity of insurance in NH -- a motorcycle which is ridden ~ 6 months a year has a full 1 year insurance plan, a car which can be driven all year has a 6 month plan. I have several discounts for both my bike and car, my bike is roughly $400/year. My car is considered a 'high risk' vehicle by insurance companies so they massively punish the owners; my yearly insurance payment is almost equal to a years worth of car payments. I don't like paying for my car essentially twice.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

So, yesterday morning I got up with the intention of riding in. It was going to be cold but we had above freezing temperatures the previous afternoon combined with sunshine meaning that even with the subzero temperatures in the morning, the roads should be ice free. The weather service was correct in their prediction and it was 25F as I prepared to head off to work.

Big difference in gear prep for 25F vs 35F. I can't just don the electrics and go to work, a bit of extra layering is required. I put on my long johns, jeans, socks, then put on my electric liners, and a sweatshirt over the top of them to hold in the heat to keep it from bleeding out. Then my jacket and overpants. I tossed my work shirt in my backpack and headed out.

Or did I?

Sigh, my work shirt was sitting on my bed next to where I'd been packing my bag. So I arrived to work without a shirt to change into. I thought about a quick Wally World run but no time as we had our team meeting first thing. So I spent the better part of the morning sweating to death wearing my long john top and a sweatshirt over the top of it acting like I was cold until I could find an excuse to duck out. But I got to ride to work and the weather was really nice for the ride home.
bill lumberg, Redfish, El Toro Joe and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am An oddity of insurance in NH -- a motorcycle which is ridden ~ 6 months a year has a full 1 year insurance plan, a car which can be driven all year has a 6 month plan.
They do the same in Ontario. Your bike is insured for 12mo even though it can only be ridden 6, this is to amortize the cost to make it palatable. God help if you try to game the system by canceling in the fall. No insurance company will touch you the following years.

Its telling when you sell the bike and cancel your insurance, the amortization is not evenly distributed, sell in the non-riding season and you'll only get a very small percentage back as a refund. f@$king BULLSHIT. Why? If you sell during riding season, you will get the same bullshit line and the amount back and non-riding season.

The game is rigged.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:25 pm
ionbeam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am An oddity of insurance in NH -- a motorcycle which is ridden ~ 6 months a year has a full 1 year insurance plan, a car which can be driven all year has a 6 month plan.
They do the same in Ontario. Your bike is insured for 12mo even though it can only be ridden 6, this is to amortize the cost to make it palatable. God help if you try to game the system by canceling in the fall. No insurance company will touch you the following years.

Its telling when you sell the bike and cancel your insurance, the amortization is not evenly distributed, sell in the non-riding season and you'll only get a very small percentage back as a refund. f@$king BULLSHIT. Why? If you sell during riding season, you will get the same bullshit line and the amount back and non-riding season.

The game is rigged.
My bike is insured for 12 months...and I usually get out all 12 of those months.

...and buy the way, I left my bike home today.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

El Toro Joe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:25 pm

The game is rigged.
My bike is insured for 12 months...and I usually get out all 12 of those months.

...and buy the way, I left my bike home today.
I saw my bike last weekend in the shed. Right where I left it last October. (Go ahead, count your fingers Wheatness... thats 6 months ago).
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

The game is rigged.

...and BY the way, I left my bike home today.
Dick.

:mrgreen:
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 pm

The game is rigged.

Dick.

Nazi Dick... :finger:
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I left two days this week in 23F temps, spent almost all day out in those temps, and then rode home in the lower 40’s. I’m ready for summer.
gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am So, yesterday morning I got up with the intention of riding in. It was going to be cold but we had above freezing temperatures the previous afternoon combined with sunshine meaning that even with the subzero temperatures in the morning, the roads should be ice free. The weather service was correct in their prediction and it was 25F as I prepared to head off to work.

Big difference in gear prep for 25F vs 35F. I can't just don the electrics and go to work, a bit of extra layering is required. I put on my long johns, jeans, socks, then put on my electric liners, and a sweatshirt over the top of them to hold in the heat to keep it from bleeding out. Then my jacket and overpants. I tossed my work shirt in my backpack and headed out.

Or did I?

Sigh, my work shirt was sitting on my bed next to where I'd been packing my bag. So I arrived to work without a shirt to change into. I thought about a quick Wally World run but no time as we had our team meeting first thing. So I spent the better part of the morning sweating to death wearing my long john top and a sweatshirt over the top of it acting like I was cold until I could find an excuse to duck out. But I got to ride to work and the weather was really nice for the ride home.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 am I left two days this week in 23F temps, spent almost all day out in those temps, and then rode home in the lower 40’s. I’m ready for summer.
25F for me on Wednesday with a high of around 40F that day. Friday, working from home, it was 75F at noon. I took the GSX-S1000 out for a spanking on my lunch break since it's mostly been sitting. Much better than sitting in front of the TV eating leftovers.
bill lumberg loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

I rode mine today. It got awfully cold close to the Mississippi River. All that snowmelt has cooled the river water greatly. It was down to 67F alongside the levee today!

Hppants, LKLD, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Rode it in 45F rain to the airport. Makes getting back that much better.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

El Toro Joe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:08 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Dick.

Nazi Dick... :finger:
Joe, just don't let Wheatie see you double-spacing. JSNS 8-)

CraigRegs and El Toro Joe loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Wife and I rode the grove roads today, and the orange blossoms were giving off that sweet smell of nectar! Got up to 300' of elevation too! :lol:
Hppants, El Toro Joe, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I have been amazingly, unusually, alarmingly slammed at work. Nothing but commutes for a while now. In a couple of weeks, it will slow a bit. I’m going try to follow behind jwilly or the wheatness on a ride or two. Along with some solo runs trying to retrace our Black Friday steps, and generally trying to get lost in the mountains and let the gps pull me back out.
LKLD loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

Rode it to work today...Woohooo!!!
bungie4 loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

After the longest non riding period I've had for almost 3 years I managed to get out Saturday, Sunday, and ride to work this morning. Saturday I headed south to start gathering points for the Team Strange States of Confusion Grand Tour. First stop was slightly north of Baltimore, MD at Morgan State University.

Followed by a trip across town to Coppin State.

Sunday was a quick lunch trip north to Moose's LZ bar and grill near Fort Indiantown Gap, PA for some points in a FB group tour I got invited to join, RTE/USA. Cool concept of visiting a list of places to eat your way around the country.

This morning, back to work. Day 3 consecutive riding.....677 more to go to catch up to where I'd been.
LKLD and El Toro Joe loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran

Post by El Toro Joe »

...and rode it to work again. just a little chilly this morning, but this afternoon is looking much better...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... IeWjyJKiUl
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Yesterday afternoon was so nice I finally gave mine a well deserved bath when I got home. It was nice and clean when I rode it to work this morning.
El Toro Joe loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Day 120 -- again I walked past my motorcycle without riding it. Snow, ice and salt since November. Yesterday it got warm enough that the snow banks along the roads melted a bit, then overnight it got cold enough that it turned to ice across all the roads. This morning I heard car horns honking every few minutes which was unusual. The side road I live off of makes a T intersection with the main road. As people were coming to the stop sign at the end of the side road they just kept on going because the side road had black ice and they just slid out into the oncoming traffic. HONK. Black ice ≠ good motorcycle riding.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

^^^^
Sorry to hear that Alan. Get healed up quickly and get down to your southern home away from home...
(Greenville, SC)
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey