Has Yamaha Gone Too Far with Electronic Suspension?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
palerider
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2006AE

Re: Has Yamaha Gone Too Far with Electronic Suspension?

Post by palerider »

raYzerman wrote:Well, we'll just have to get the admins to tune you in. Did you do a search? Ha ha....
It was written by our own Johnd ....... and Design Flaw chimed in with his. I had asked them to post up here so we have it in our back yard.....
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2378
Yeah, did a search. Nada. I'll try again using JohnD and Design Flaw as search terms.
Palerider
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Twigg wrote:My 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale had Air-adjustable suspension, Electronic Cruise Control AND Self-Cancelling indicators.

Yamaha knows how to do this.
So, there's obviously a reason they don't offer self-cancelling signals...my guess is lawyer's fees. The legal climate sometimes punishes you for providing something of benefit to your customers. I'm guessing this is one of them.

But since you can get them aftermarket now...you can buy a kit if you wish.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Twigg
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300A

Post by Twigg »

wheatonFJR wrote:
But since you can get them aftermarket now...you can buy a kit if you wish.
I'm okay with not having them ... Forgetting to cancel the indicators is one of the signs I look for on long rides, to let me know when I am getting tired.
palerider
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2006AE

Post by palerider »

[quote="wheatonFJR"]

So, there's obviously a reason they don't offer self-cancelling signals...my guess is lawyer's fees. The legal climate sometimes punishes you for providing something of benefit to your customers. I'm guessing this is one of them.

/quote]

Not that your wrong about litigiousness, but since Yamaha still offers self-cancelling turn signals on some models, that doesn't seem like the reason. I'd vote for cost.

I've ordered the self-canceller mentioned above. I'll post a review when it's installed.
Palerider
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

It has occurred to me that I've kind of jacked up this thread. The OP asked us about Electronic suspension and, in two posts, I turned it into an "FJR bitch" thread. My apologies.

But FWIW, all that I've written is just my insatiable anal tendencies coming out. Try though I might, it's just too hard not to complain sometimes. I really do like the FJR (love it in fact) and to be abundantly clear, I would buy another in spite of my pet peeves.

On Sunday, I was riding with a mixed bag of bikes. One in our group was a 17 year old on a Honda 500x. He's a very good rider for his experience level and I enjoy riding with him. His dad was on a cruiser bike Sunday, but also owns a big V-strom. I led the group, and the kid followed me. His dad ran sweep with MikeP in between them on his Versys 1000LT. At every stop, dad and son would discuss observations.

(Dad) "Son, I saw you pull out behind Pants to make that pass on those two vehicles. Wise move to tuck back in.

(Son) "Yeah, I thought twice about it."

(Dad) "Good choice. He's got 150 horsepower. You have 50. You just can't wind that top up that fast."

(Pants, thinking) He he he......
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Twigg
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300A

Post by Twigg »

Hppants wrote:It has occurred to me that I've kind of jacked up this thread. The OP asked us about Electronic suspension and, in two posts, I turned it into an "FJR bitch" thread. My apologies.

But FWIW, all that I've written is just my insatiable anal tendencies coming out. Try though I might, it's just too hard not to complain sometimes. I really do like the FJR (love it in fact) and to be abundantly clear, I would buy another in spite of my pet peeves.
Something else kinda got lost too ... I never criticized Electronic Suspension. I merely wondered if that was the best use of the resources Yamaha was prepared to commit to the FJR, when basic issues remain ignored.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

I fixed the self canceling turn signal issue with the Cardo Scala Rider Teamset. If I forget and leave the turn signal flashing I immediately hear a voice in my helmet that sounds just like my Dad's voice telling me to turn off the signal. Easy and cheap.

I disagree with Pants about the linked brakes. A bunch of folks panic and just stomp the rear brake and barely apply the front. YOU may not be that guy but you all know someone like that. Or you may remember a time when you were that person.

The very complicated, very heavy, very maintenance intensive, and sometimes unreliable multi linked brakes on the Honda ST1300 have made me really love my FJR brakes.

All the complaints really sound like a bunch of First World Problems. I tried to find some sympathy but failed miserably.

I owned and LOVED a Honda ST1300. It was a great motorcycle and I kept waiting for it to evolve. I waited. And waited. And waited. Honda let me and a lot of folks down by letting that platform stagnate and die. I am grateful to Yamaha for what they have done with the FJR. I am hopeful for whatever Yamaha has planned for the future of this platform.

How many of you that owned Gen1s and moved up to Gen3s would willingly go back to 2004's technology? Honestly?
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Is that last line about me?

I would certainly like to know what riding a Gen 3 is about. But a few of my friends have always said they were gonna swap out bikes with me on a ride sometime so I could feel how much more improved, refined, and all around better than the Gen 1. Then they never come through on rides. Some of it could be that they just don't like me really that much, but the biggest part is that they do not want to go back to slumming with that Gen 1. At least that is what I hope it is.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Geezer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by Geezer »

OK, back to electronic suspension. Considering that the ES models are selling well while the A models are being discounted, it looks like Yamaha did what most buyers wanted when they came out with the electronic suspension.
My wife asked me why I speak so softly around the house. I said that I was worried that someone was listening. She laughed, I laughed, Alexa laughed.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Cav47 wrote:Is that last line about me?

I would certainly like to know what riding a Gen 3 is about. But a few of my friends have always said they were gonna swap out bikes with me on a ride sometime so I could feel how much more improved, refined, and all around better than the Gen 1. Then they never come through on rides. Some of it could be that they just don't like me really that much, but the biggest part is that they do not want to go back to slumming with that Gen 1. At least that is what I hope it is.
I love my GEN3...but I would ride my GEN1 any day if I didn't have the GEN3. When I was prepping my 2004 to give to my son, I kept telling myself I was crazy for giving this beauty away.

With no apologies, an FJR lover.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Cav47 wrote:Is that last line about me?

Cav, I meant to swap a bunch of times. But something always distracted me and at the end of the day I always thought, "Damn. I meant to let Cav ride Scar." It is not like you could damage it any more than I already have. The biggest issue I guess is that Pants is always involved and I am thinking, "I'd like to swap but with both of us following that lunatic on unfamiliar bikes on unfamiliar roads and we are both far far from home..."

When I rode Dad's brand new '07 home from the dealership I was blown away. It was Everything I Ever Wanted In a Motorcycle. When I took a Demo Ride on the '14 ES I was blown away. When I got my '15 ES I was blown away. I am still blown away by the Awesomeness that lurks within my FJR.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

I am kinda glad we never switched

First of all, I would be a little scared on your bike. You are so right about riding it quickly behind Joey. That is not the time to be doing that kind of thing. Second, I might be pining for an ES instead of the A.

I felt the same way when I rode away from the dealership three years ago when I picked up the 04. I never even test rode it. Did not need to.

Wheatie, You are so right. I am asking myself that same question about my 04. Why am I spending 8K to upgrade to a New 15? I guess I will find out when I snag the 15. I am sure 11 years and 2 Generation jumps will let me know soon enough
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

raYzerman wrote:Well, we'll just have to get the admins to tune you in. Did you do a search? Ha ha....
It was written by our own Johnd ....... and Design Flaw chimed in with his. I had asked them to post up here so we have it in our back yard.....
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2378
Thanks Ray
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I got to ride the ES at a local dealer late in 2014 and will say that even on a short ride I was impressed! Seriously contemplated trading in my '07 and went so far as having them crunch numbers for me. In the end I just didn't want to go from being almost paid off back to owing on a vehicle loan. Then the '16 came out with the wicked cool LED lighting, 6 speed trans and slipper clutch. In the meantime Mona has indicated she thinks I should wait until I hit 100k on mine before I buy another one. Any rumor yet on the 2019 color?
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

BkerChuck wrote:I got to ride the ES at a local dealer late in 2014 and will say that even on a short ride I was impressed! Seriously contemplated trading in my '07 and went so far as having them crunch numbers for me. In the end I just didn't want to go from being almost paid off back to owing on a vehicle loan. Then the '16 came out with the wicked cool LED lighting, 6 speed trans and slipper clutch. In the meantime Mona has indicated she thinks I should wait until I hit 100k on mine before I buy another one. Any rumor yet on the 2019 color?

Ride more, 100K can be reached sooner. Then you just are following her directions and obeying her! You should get a good husband award. I nominate you Chuck!

BkerChuck
Veteran

Post by BkerChuck »

At current rate I need about 18-24 months to hit that barrier. Turned 68k on mine yesterday and 17k for this year so far. Keep holding out for a Kenny Roberts paint scheme.......That could be a factor real quick.....
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

BkerChuck wrote:At current rate I need about 18-24 months to hit that barrier. Turned 68k on mine yesterday and 17k for this year so far. Keep holding out for a Kenny Roberts paint scheme.......That could be a factor real quick.....
Do like griff did and sign up for Tour of Honor, you should get 40k easy in one year. Be sure to have a good friend to bunk with when the wifey kicks you out of the house.
BkerChuck
Veteran

Post by BkerChuck »

Doing TOH for my third year. Wife rides her own, BMW F800ST with factory low suspension. We ride LD rallies together and she put over 9k on her bike this year before parking it for winter.
Problem is that 4 letter curse, "work". I only get 2 weeks of vacation. I think in light of that I do pretty well. We'll be hitting EOM next year for our 3rd time as well.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

BkerChuck wrote: In the meantime Mona has indicated she thinks I should wait until I hit 100k on mine before I buy another one. Any rumor yet on the 2019 color?

You got a keeper there! My wife also has also given me the green light on a new FJR, but I ONLY have 117,500 miles on mine and it still works great (except for the starter that draws 184 amps and sometimes won't start when it's hot). I just hate the thought of taking on a payment when I've worked hard to have none except the final 18 months of mortgage still due.

Off topic, I have a used $22 starter sitting on my bench in pieces that I'm overhauling. Gonna hit the bearing supply house tomorrow to find a oil seal for it and then it will be ready to install in my FJR when I have a whole day free to tear half the bike apart to access the original starter that's installed.
jparry
Squid
FJRModel: 2008

Post by jparry »

Hi,

Do you mean Yamaha has paid too much attention to developing the electronic suspension at the expense of developing other parts of the bike?

jparry