What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

ionbeam wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am
gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm I think he does a massive 10 minute burnout to break them in.
What's the point of that? Never did understand that.
Tire break-in is as clear and as definitive as engine break-in. Everyone with an opinion is right and everyone else is clearly wrong.

If you believe in tire break-in, here is what you are trying to do. First, motorcycle tire manufacturers have mostly or completely stopped using mold release compound. If release compound is used, it is typically only on the sidewalls so that the tire markings and specifications release from the mold, making them clear and easy to read. Tire break-in for *street use* will occur over the first 100 miles or so. The break-in shouldn't include massive burn-outs, no matter how fun it may seem ;) Initially the tire should be ridden long enough to bring it up to temperature over ~10 miles or so and then allowed to rest until completely cold, some ¿experts? say as long as 24 hours. The stress and heat of the initial ride will break some of the weak molecular bonds in the rubber and the resting will allow the bonds to realign. Then longer heat/rest cycles over the next 80-90 miles will complete the deed. The benefits (besides not crashing on cold, new tires) are longer tire life and better traction. Some tire dealers, especially car tire dealers offer a tire break-in service so you can receive a ready to go tire.

What the heck? Do a couple of progressive braking stops, do a couple of progressively harder acceleration runs and you are good to go ride the snot out of the tires. Aim that new sucker at a corner and ride the shit out of it and call it a day. None of that silly ninny shit about 'break-in', buncha limp dick, whinny, snot nose punks and their prissy break-in procedures....

If you are at a road racing track, do break-in the tires, then use a tire heater to get your track oriented tires up to temperature and go grind the knee pucks off your pants.

If you are at a drag strip, why yes, do a good burn-out and get the tire surface clean and hot, then roll slowly forward through the VHT or Strip Grip and let it stick to the hot rear tire (traction compound that the drag strips usually spray on the starting line area). If your launch is proper, the burn-out will make a measurable difference in the 60' times and noticeably reduce the ET.
Thanks for that explanation Alan on breaking tires in. I see now that my comment was inadvertently ambiguous. I see no point or glee in burnouts for a street tire...unless yer just about to do a 1/4 mile down the strip.

I may be a pussy, but I do warm up the tires a bit after a stop before going all leany on the roadway...especially this time of year.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Sigh, what is "leany?" Is that the slight tip in you do from a stop sign when making a turn?
bill lumberg loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

600 mile initial fluids change this morning. A little late at 749 miles on the odometer.
gixxerjasen loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

I've been known to roast a tire like a hooligan before it gets changed.

My present neighbors in Pleasantville would be less than enthusiastic though.
Harald loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 pm 600 mile initial fluids change this morning. A little late at 749 miles on the odometer.
Whoops! Void that warranty!

:D
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Rode about 200 miles on one of my favorite local loops yesterday morning. Weather was perfect. The roads are gritty from the cane trucks, but otherwise, we had good fun. Stopped at a wildlife refuge looking for birds. Brought my glasses and we spotted a few, but not too many considering the conditions and time of year. They may have bird brains, but they do have a mind of their own....
spklbuk and bill lumberg loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

Replaced the worn "below the wear bars" T30 front tire in preparation for a rainy winter riding here in the Pacific Northwet. My first try of the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tire. Almost tipped the bike over in the first corner. :) I forgot how the FJR is supposed to handle after dealing with dump truck steering for a while now with that worn T30 on the front. ;)

Like always, new tires are always awesome. We'll see how it feels after a couple thousand......
Hppants loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I used to eat front tires faster than rears. These days, I just need to go ahead and order two rears to one front. When no curves are in sight, sometimes entering the launch codes on the entrance ramp can be the best part of a commute. Sue me.
Last edited by bill lumberg on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harald, gixxerjasen, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: RE: Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by extrememarine »

ionbeam wrote:
Cav47 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am I thought we had agreed that Crashing in any way was going to be referred to as "JWillying"
You haven't had a completely JWillied your bike unless you get an extrememarine pillion ride back home.
The Extrememarine Uber is no longer in service. I told JWilly next time he does any asphalt surfing, he would have to walk back.

It worked. He didn't crash this year...

Sent from the Tapatalk app...

El Toro Joe loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

It went all the way up to plus 4, so I went for a ride.
Harald, bungie4, and wheatonFJR loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Rode it to work. You know, the same thing I do just about every day of my meaningless existence.LOL. Mother Nature has given me a little reprieve so my streak continues after last weeks unfortunate "incident". Day 611 safely in the books.
Harald, raYzerman, and El Toro Joe loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

BkerChuck wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:36 am Rode it to work. You know, the same thing I do just about every day of my meaningless existence.LOL. Mother Nature has given me a little reprieve so my streak continues after last weeks unfortunate "incident". Day 611 safely in the books.
That's alright...I'm sure your bike is still less scratched up than Hud's bike. Like he says...chicks dig scars.

Now what he is doing with those little baby chickens...I have no idea.
Uncle Hud and bill lumberg loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran

Post by BkerChuck »

Just back from a brisk 40 or so miles to go get gas in the bike. Day 614 now complete. Rode past some of our area mall just to see how many folks were out Black Friday shopping. Didn't look too crowded compared to years past but I'd imagine earlier this morning was far worse. Discovered gas is almost .30/gallon less than the stations near my house if I'm willing to ride as little as 10 miles south. Challenge accepted! For anyone in PA or reasonable riding distance looking for something to do on Sunday.

http://www.turkeypronational.com/

This is always a lot of fun and often a chance to see some unique and vintage bike before their owners put them away for the winter.
bill lumberg loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I was lucky enough to get to ride it a little bit with a couple of gangsters. Broke 1,000 miles on the odometer as I was leaving the house. I was the slow guy, but I think everybody had fun. I was very fortunate today.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 pm I was lucky enough to get to ride it a little bit with a couple of gangsters. Broke 1,000 miles on the odometer as I was leaving the house. I was the slow guy, but I think everybody had fun. I was very fortunate today.
You were not the slow guy...I was definitely the slowest through the tight twisty Dragon. I will admit to having fun on 28 and Dillard Rd...oh and every place else!
bill lumberg loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Weather was half respectable here today but our furnace quit heating. I got to ride all the way to the appliance parts store and back for a new control board. It was the most fun I had all day. :|
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I put the old R&G sliders and T-Rex luggage guards from the 2014 onto the 2018. A little finicky. Good to have them on. Antiseize is no joke. Note to self- rubber gloves next time.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
BkerChuck
Veteran

Post by BkerChuck »

Took advantage of unusually warm weather here in Central PA today. Met a couple of friends for breakfast who wussed out and drove their cars. Left them after we ate to head to Oley, PA and the Turkey Pro Nationals. A couple pics to show everyone what they missed.

The trophy the winner gets to host for a year. Each year's winner has their name added.

Not something you see everyday.

There's even a little bragging and smack talk going on.

Not many races where you can see a Honda Z50 defeat a Kawi ZZR1200 but in this case it happened! No videos to show the fun but the best riders were taking around 2 minutes and 30 seconds to cover a hundred yard oval. Left before the end to take advantage of the warm afternoon and meander my way home. 170 miles to put day 616 in the books.
Uncle Hud, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Got out for a nice little 150 mile loop today...and got to watch the odometer roll past 35,000 miles.
FJRPittsburgh and wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Checked my tires...after 3k miles Front T30 is shot...and rear PR2 has another dry day ride left in it.
Hppants loved this