New to here

Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
fljab
Squid
FJRModel: 2018A FJR

Re: New to here

Post by fljab »

Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 pm Welcome, Jim, and thanks for a nap in your back bedroom several years ago ...
Dang bubbleheads will sleep anywhere!
Uncle Hud loved this
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:33 pm Welcome, used to live in that area. From Tampa mostly but lived in Melbourne and worked on Merritt Island. Did my reserve duty (USMC) in Orlando as well.
What yrs Orlando ResCen or now NOSC? I started out at the old reserve center then moved to the new one the last few yrs down by the airport.
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

jwilly wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:38 pm
fljab wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:28 pm Hello, Some of my Florida friends were saying to join this forum so here I am.
You need new friends! :D Welcome to the forum.
Don't I know it! Lol, rough crowd...
jwilly loved this
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

mi_pjk wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:56 pm Welcome On! Why every would you leave Michigan? Oh yeah, it's snowing out right now. * sigh *
I go back now 2-3 times a yr and even ride the FJR up at least 1 of those times. I keep an old 4x4 truck on the family farm. I've been looking at properties on the lake up there but just can't justify the $$$ for only a few months of the yr.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

fljab wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:10 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:33 pm Welcome, used to live in that area. From Tampa mostly but lived in Melbourne and worked on Merritt Island. Did my reserve duty (USMC) in Orlando as well.
What yrs Orlando ResCen or now NOSC? I started out at the old reserve center then moved to the new one the last few yrs down by the airport.
1994-1998, in the old one just outside the base that used to be there. As I understand it none of that exists anymore. I moved to Texas and transferred to the air wing at the Ft Worth JRB.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:15 pm Welcome! Post up now and then.

I do.
We've met at least once, maybe Red Lodge? Forget just now, my CRS is kicking in.
escapefjrtist loved this
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

fljab wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:17 pm

I do.
We've met at least once, maybe Red Lodge? Forget just now, my CRS is kicking in.
Wheaton is like Hemorrhoids, It's a fond memory but one you try to shake...
Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:15 pm
1994-1998, in the old one just outside the base that used to be there. As I understand it none of that exists anymore. I moved to Texas and transferred to the air wing at the Ft Worth JRB.
I was there then, altho USN and USMC didn't always drill the same weekend. I was also on a ship FFG out of Mayport during some of that time and was mobilized for 5 months to augment the crew on a UNITAS cruise around South America. Did you retire? I did and glad I stuck with it; getting my pension now along with other bennies like TriCare and catching the occasional space-a flight overseas.
wheatonFJR loved this
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

escapefjrtist wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:43 pm Welcome from metro Seattle!

~G
I was in the Seattle area this yr on the FJR. I have an old shipmate that retired from the USN and has property right outside the gate at Bangor Sub Base. This was my 2nd visit to him. He's still a gearhead and it's fun catching up and seeing his projects.
escapefjrtist loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

fljab wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:20 pm

I was there then, altho USN and USMC didn't always drill the same weekend. I was also on a ship FFG out of Mayport during some of that time and was mobilized for 5 months to augment the crew on a UNITAS cruise around South America. Did you retire? I did and glad I stuck with it; getting my pension now along with other bennies like TriCare and catching the occasional space-a flight overseas.
I remember when we'd have drill on the same weekends parking sucked, but we usually got to watch the Navy playing with fire hoses while we did PM on trucks that had PM done on them last month but hadn't been moved at all. :D

Nah, I got out. Got working on my career and the time away was tough for certain things I was doing. Also, started having issues with my knees which stopped me from running, which sucked because I was a runner before USMC, but passing annual fitness tests was getting harder and more painful. Some days I wish I'd have stayed and others I'm glad I got away from the lifestyle as it really wasn't for me. Also, considering how things have gone down since then, being a nice safe truck driver became not so safe anymore. IED's weren't even thought of when I started but when my guys were headed over there without me because I got out, I worried about them a lot.
wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I do.
Maybe at an EOM, SFO, CFO, CFR, Ramble or Hooterville. Im going to Red Lodge in 2020, but it will be my first time having BigJohn serve me a steak. I'll buy you a beer at our next meeting to better help your memory. :lol:
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Is that code for something?
Uncle Hud wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 pm Welcome, Jim, and thanks for a nap in your back bedroom several years ago ...
Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:01 pm Is that code for something?
Yes, it is. It was all a big misunderstanding.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

fljab wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:02 pm
Cav47 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:00 am
fljab wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:28 pm I live in Mims, FL, central near KSC, Daytona, east of Orlando. I hope to see you all down the road somewhere.

Later, Jim in MIms
Welcome from the Land O Lincoln where our state employs former governors in the license plate manufacturing business.
Gonna be in your neck of woods in a few weeks. Headed to NSB right after XMas with the family. Got any food recommendations in the area? We will be right across the lagoons from Mims as we always stay way south by JB’s. Leas traffic down there.
For NSB, my favorite all around bar restaurant is Merks: http://merksbarandgrill.com/

There are quite a few choices in NSB like Breakers (decent hamburgers and great view), Boston's Seafood is pretty good. There was a great little Italian sorta place in the Publix shopping center but they went belly up a few yrs ago. Shoot me a message when you get there and I'll ride up.
Was that Italian joint “Touch of Italy”. It was still open last year this time. Certainly hope it didn’t go under. They had the absolute best tortellini Alfredo ever. We will have to check out that Merks place. Never heard of it. Breakers is okay if you can get in. We have poor timing for a family. Thanks again for the recommendation! We will be there the whole week after Christmas. My wife has activities planned. Little does she know that I will be going to either JAX or Orlando to a bowl game. Just gotta figure out which one is gonna be more economical.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

Cav47 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:55 pm
fljab wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:02 pm
Cav47 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:00 am

Welcome from the Land O Lincoln where our state employs former governors in the license plate manufacturing business.
Gonna be in your neck of woods in a few weeks. Headed to NSB right after XMas with the family. Got any food recommendations in the area? We will be right across the lagoons from Mims as we always stay way south by JB’s. Leas traffic down there.
For NSB, my favorite all around bar restaurant is Merks: http://merksbarandgrill.com/

There are quite a few choices in NSB like Breakers (decent hamburgers and great view), Boston's Seafood is pretty good. There was a great little Italian sorta place in the Publix shopping center but they went belly up a few yrs ago. Shoot me a message when you get there and I'll ride up.
Was that Italian joint “Touch of Italy”. It was still open last year this time. Certainly hope it didn’t go under. They had the absolute best tortellini Alfredo ever. We will have to check out that Merks place. Never heard of it. Breakers is okay if you can get in. We have poor timing for a family. Thanks again for the recommendation! We will be there the whole week after Christmas. My wife has activities planned. Little does she know that I will be going to either JAX or Orlando to a bowl game. Just gotta figure out which one is gonna be more economical.
We'll be out of the area during Christmas/NY, not returning until Jan 2.

The little Italian place was River Grill IIRC. He closed that one and I believe opened a place on or near Canal St Downtown NSB on the main side of the river. Dunno the name of that place. Yes, Breakers is popular and often hard to get in. I have a group of folks that we meet and go there from time to time but it's been a while since the last visit. Merks is just a great local place. It's on the North road into the beach, between the main side near Canal St and the higher opening bridge. It's the road that ends at Breakers; if starting at Breakers and head inland, you follow that road back over the first bridge it'll be on your right next to a bowling alley. If you're there Tues to Sat, say hey to Jennifer. She's been there for yrs and is part of the great staff.

We love NSB and have wanted to move there, but it's just too expensive compared to our 2 acres and house we built here in '02. Much cheaper to live in North Brevard. We looked beachside for quite a while, but really looking at the neighborhood North of Canal st kinda behind the old Dairy Queen on US1. A shack is $350K and up; the taxes are higher there and of course we'd be starting at a higher price point to base them on. We're thinking Mims is just fine and it gives us a good budget to go and do other things.

Have fun.
Cav47 loved this
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 pm

I do.
Maybe at an EOM, SFO, CFO, CFR, Ramble or Hooterville. Im going to Red Lodge in 2020, but it will be my first time having BigJohn serve me a steak. I'll buy you a beer at our next meeting to better help your memory. :lol:
OK, will hold you to that!
wheatonFJR loved this
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:26 pm
fljab wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:20 pm

I remember when we'd have drill on the same weekends parking sucked, but we usually got to watch the Navy playing with fire hoses while we did PM on trucks that had PM done on them last month but hadn't been moved at all. :D

Nah, I got out. Got working on my career and the time away was tough for certain things I was doing. Also, started having issues with my knees which stopped me from running, which sucked because I was a runner before USMC, but passing annual fitness tests was getting harder and more painful. Some days I wish I'd have stayed and others I'm glad I got away from the lifestyle as it really wasn't for me. Also, considering how things have gone down since then, being a nice safe truck driver became not so safe anymore. IED's weren't even thought of when I started but when my guys were headed over there without me because I got out, I worried about them a lot.
Yes, no doubt you'd have been mobilized once or more since '03 or so. I remember in '03 or '04 that I was doing a non official PT with the Chief Selects around Lake Eola downtown and we went to the road when a couple of buses of Marines came back from deployment to Iraq. Things got pretty busy for all reservists regardless of branch after that. I was forced into retirement at the end of '05 due to HYT - High Year Tenure. They changed the rules on that early in '05 so that CPO/E7 could only go to 24 vs 26. They did let me drill until the end of that calendar yr.

There were times it was a bunch of BS, especially when I was E5&E6. Once I made Chief it was way better altho it doubled or more my workload on the weekends. HYT got rid of quite a few of us that yr. I went back to reserve center (the new one) the next yr to do some paperwork and most of my friends had been mobilized.
gixxerjasen loved this
fljab
Squid

Post by fljab »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:01 pm Is that code for something?
Nah; Hud rode down from Atlanta during one of my tech days. 101st & I signed his IBA witness form. He wanted to take a nap for an hour or so before heading back. I "think" this was his first SS1K but don't recall exactly.
Uncle Hud loved this